Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How salvageable is a bowed rim?
  • cjr61

Never built a wheel before and bought a slightly bowed rim cheap thinking it could build back into something true.

At what point is it no longer true-able when you build a wheel? I’ve heard people saying that unless it’s dented or fully taco’d then any rim should true. Is that right or bollox? Not sure whether to start on the build only to find, well, that you can’t polish it merely roll it in glitter!

Should it be wall art and am I naive?

For reference:

Thanks

Chris

Ps yes for reference I have been trying to sell this rim but second guessing myself now whether it could actually work as a completely amateur first build.

Stw sense appreciated!

hatter

You would probably be able to build it and get it straight but the spoke tension would be all over the place because of the need to pull the rim back into the center.

Good for practice but don’t get your hopes (sic) up about it being very tough.

Klunk
    Free Member

stand jump up an down on the high bits

Bez

That’s well beyond its happy place IMO.

You might be able to get it vaguely straight with spoke tension alone but you’ll have half the spokes too loose to stay put and the other half trying to rip the nipples through the rim, and as a result it’ll probably go out of true on a daily basis. No matter how experienced you are at wheelbuilding, it’ll be a piece-of-crap wheel. As a first build it’ll drive you nuts and probably teach you bad habits along the way. What you want for a first build is a nice straight rim (and not too stiff).

You could bend it back into shape but you’ll have to accept that the rim is weakened and will have a shorter life (and possibly a more exciting failure) as a result. And realistically you’ll still have the previous problem, albeit to a lesser extent. To be honest, bending a taco back into shape is purely a get-you-home measure, not a let’s-make-a-wheel-out-of-this measure.

I’d say it’s hula hoop time.

jabbi
    Free Member

If you want a well built, evenly tensioned wheel (which, let’s face it, is what you want) then bin it! You could probably get it straight, but spoke tension would be all over the place, a minor hit would probably pringle it!

cjr61

Thanks all.

I think I have my answer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Toast

wilburt
    Free Member

Its junk get rid.

cjr61

FS: Ltd edition Hope Tech asymmetrical Hula Hoop

Impress you riding buddies with your gnarly hooping skills….Raaaddddd!

Just £25….yes that’s right just £25!!!!

Awesommmeeee!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s fekked. Bin it.

leffeboy

If you are desperate you can sometimes recover these by battering them against the ground with a tyre fitted. But it’s never great and will make you cry for a first time build

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How salvageable is a bowed rim?’ is closed to new replies.