Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How rocky is afan these days?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Going tomorrow for the first time in years, maybe doing w2 and penhydd. Not sure if I should take the fully rigid bike.

Denis99
    Free Member

The tree cull has produced a more barren landscape from previous years.

This has resulted in rockier terrain due to the more exposed trails.

You’ll be able to ride rigid, but some form of front / and or / rear suspension will make it more enjoyable in my opinion.

Just got back in from a ride round Whites Level.

oldnpastit

I don’t know about W2 and Penhydd, but I’d think that the later sections of Blade would be pretty unpleasant (or at least very tiresome) on a rigid bike. The black run could also be a bit sketchy.

Big low pressure tyres would help. Better still, take a bike with some suspension; Blade is very entertaining in that case.

ferrals
    Free Member

Rode penhydd a few days ago, not sure I’d really fancy it on a rigid bike, rode it on a 100mm xc bike and still got a bit of hand burn.

br
    Free Member

Not sure if I should take the fully rigid bike.

Not sure why you’d consider taking a rigid bike to Afan, it’ll be 5h1t.

Kryton57

rode it on a 100mm xc bike

Me too, and I found it fine. OP I’d say the conditions will make you slower therefore perhaps not so floaty over the rocks and root, personally I wouldn’t go rigid.

The tree cull has produced a more barren landscape from previous years.

I agree, the whites climb was awful in bad weather. Without the trees your exposed to the wind an rain coming straight up the valley, and it looks a long way down if you slip. Best ride it hard and fast IMO.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Did it on full sus and loved EVERY ride. Saw a few on hard tails, not many admittedly, but certainly not for me now. If you’ve got a full Susser take that for more fun.
    If you were doing North Wales I’d say don’t go at all !

molgrips
    Free Member

Just checked the forecast. Rocks are going to be the least of my worries.

Nipper99
    Free Member

molgrips, you could do the far sections of the old skyline which are all still intact, they would be fine on a rigid.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like fs is best to get the most out of it though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How rocky is afan these days?’ is closed to new replies.