Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How ridiculous do those met parachutes look!!!
  • jonrambo
    Free Member

Hope not to offend anyone but i was out riding this morning and saw a group of riders 3 of them wearing them daft lids! Cudnt help but laugh, 😆 and get this a few of them were riding marins aswell!! Well i was nearly rolling around on the floor with laughter! And elbow pads 2!!! 😆 but at the end of the day each to there own, and i did feel a bit bad afterwards for laughing, just wanted to share that with u, thanks. 😆

MussEd
    Free Member

Thanks!!!

hugor
    Free Member

I have one and like it. Much better vented than a reg full face and more suitable for the xc stuff that I do.

BoardinBob

Pisspoor trollage. Must try harder.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pisspoor trollage. Must try harder.

Dont give the game away! JR threads are usually top notch entertainment

donsimon
    Free Member

I actually have one, but haven’t worn it for ages.
    I assume you won’t mind if I point and laugh at your piss poor spelling and grammar, no?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not this one, apart from folk flaming the poor fella.

binners

Marins you say? Could you still see their beards behind the parachutes? Maybe that’s why the were wearing them. As a disguise

5thElefant
    Free Member

Odd. I find ‘normal’ helmets comical. I guess it’s what you’re used to. If you ride motorbikes open face helmets are a 1970s comedy flashback.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I thought a Met Parachute was part of the uniform to be worn by the fatties you see standing around chatting at the side of / in the middle of the trail at places like Llandegla.

Parachute + Audi A4 + pads + large boring mouth = ****

anto164
    Free Member

tbf, they’re pointless. the chin guard isn’t (and doesn’t) stand up to a crash.

falkirk-mark

I suppose if you are ugly you wouldn’t see the point in one.

mr_mills
    Free Member

But if you fall off and the chin bit snaps off and sticks in your face that will make you more ugly.

A sturdy beard would give better face protection (although you would still look like a ****t).

Euro
    Free Member

My Marin makes me laugh too mr Jon Rambo. They say laughter is the best medicine but you must be allergic to it as it made you feel bad. Bound to be able to get a cream for that…

hugor
    Free Member

the chin guard isn’t (and doesn’t) stand up to a crash.

its not a DH helmet which is why its often critisized.
    For technical XC with less serious falls I think it would offer alot of protection.

redthunder
    Free Member
    Northwind

anto164 – Member

It can (and does). Seen it myself a couple of times.

RealMan
    Free Member

Is that a wheel reflector?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Without EPS in the chinbar its ability to absorb impact will be limited.

chinbars on cycle helmets are not tested as a part of the standards

The trl (IIRC) came to the conclusion that smooth helmets without sticky out bits will be better in oblique impacts.

Northwind

Aye. TBH I’d have been tempted to try a Parachute myself but the jawbone just sticks out so far, it strikes me as being a bit like attaching a lever to your head.

But my spider senses tell me this thread could devolve into a hopeless argument whirlpool 😉

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Redthunder are those swimming goggles on top of that helmet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrong used mine a few times jaw intact looks preserved fairly big alpine crashes too

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think if I did an Alps/AM trip, I’d try one of these:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

“tbf, they’re pointless. the chin guard isn’t (and doesn’t) stand up to a crash.”

Wrong used mine a few times jaw intact looks preserved fairly big alpine crashes too

Not replaced it after a big crash?

paulo6624
    Free Member

great time for this thread, i just ordered one yesterday.

also im fat middleage wear shinpads and have owned a couple of audis, damn

jam-bo

Is that picture an advert for it working or not? I can’t tell.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not replaced it after a big crash?

Nope still hanging up in the garage

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I favoured the Giro Switchblade!!!

neninja
    Free Member

I do get somewhat puzzled by some of the hefty folk with full knee, shin, elbow armour and full face helmets on trail centre blue and red routes.

falkirk-mark

I do get somewhat puzzled by some of the hefty folk with full knee, shin, elbow armour and full face helmets on trail centre blue and red routes

Simple ,the heavier they are the harder they fall

jonrambo
    Free Member

Gingerbloke, that things even worse!!! 😆

Dancake
    Free Member

I dont wear pads because I am good, I wear them because I am NOT

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Granted…in BIG impacts it won’t hold up, but after skidding along on my face a couple of times after going OTB it has saved me from the worst injury I can think of…..GRAVEL RASH! (well not the worst, but you know what I mean!).

Therefore, I’d take that every time – after all, if I was expecting a BIG fall I would do the DH thing and wearing ‘the works’.

I’ll keep mine thanks! Despite whether you think they are ridiculous or not.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And when you are middle-aged (up to 80 nowadays) then hits/bruises take longer to mend, so a few pads help.

slowrider
    Free Member

I worry about them in terms of a big impact. anyone can have one of those, regardless of how gnarly they are!

I never have and never will use one, i think they are daft.

however, i firmly believe that if something gives someone a confidence boost then this cant be a bad thing; most people are far less likely to crash if they just loosen up and ride a bit more confidently!

even if they do look a bit funny.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve hit a tree and gone over the bars wearing one of these. The tree smashed the jaw of the helmet right off, but my face only had a small nick on it where the jaw of the helmet caught it as it disintegrated. Replaced with a new parachute, went OTB and slid along on the jaw piece – again I had a few nicks and cuts but less than if I had been wearing a normal helmet. So yeah they work, and PSA, all helmets look stupid.

M6TTF
    Free Member

never felt the need for a full face – hopefully never have an accident where i would have benefitted from one….

morgs
    Free Member

having read this, I want to go and sit in a dark corner and cry. I don’t have a met lid….but I do have a Marin and I do have a beard

😥

5thElefant
    Free Member

never felt the need for a full face – hopefully never have an accident where i would have benefitted from one…

Assuming you wear a helmet it seems odd that you expect to land on the top of your head but don’t expect to land on your face.

If you could get a ‘face only’ helmet I’d wear one of those in preference to a ‘head only’ helmet. Until that day… I’ll either not wear a helmet or wear a full face as I think it’s more likely (and inconvenient) that I’ll land on my face.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘How ridiculous do those met parachutes look!!!’ is closed to new replies.