Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How quickly does Cut Gate dry out?
  • tomj
    Free Member

Almost another ‘Cutgate conditions thread’!
    I was thinking of riding Cut Gate on Monday, forecast looks pretty good. I’m guessing conditions are pretty good at the moment, all the stuff I ride not far away in the Dales is dry as a bone. Its supposed to rain most of today in the Peaks. Is this likely to turn it into a quagmire, and if so is it likely to be ridable in a couple of days.
    I don’t know the Peaks very well so any advice would be welcome

Thanks

crazy-legs

It takes about 10 minutes of rain to turn it into a bog.
    It takes about 6 weeks of no rain to get it dry again.

It’s been raining steadily over here since midday yesterday.

tomj
    Free Member

I thought that might be the case……

Any suggestions for similar type routes (in terms of technicality and length) in the Peaks that are a bit more waterproof?
    How does the Mam Tor to Jacobs Ladder Kinder loop compare?

BadlyWiredDog

I’d say generally the Peak dries slowly, but once it’s dry, take a while to get properly wet again, like a big sponge really. The flatter bits of Cut Gate maybe being an exception.

The Jacob’s-Roych loop is pretty all weather friendly, I’d guess it would be riding well though you might want to avoid the bridleway that cuts across below Kinder and drops down to the reservoir. Nothing round here turns into proper gloopy mud regardless, more a sort of super-abrasive gritty slurry that’s still pretty rideable even if it’ll destroy every bearing, pivot and brake pad on your bike…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How quickly does Cut Gate dry out?’ is closed to new replies.