• This topic has 47 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bream.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • How quick can a HGV stop?
  • jam-bo

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHwDegptbI4[/video]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-41964366/dashcam-captures-truck-s-near-miss-with-child-in-norway

Pretty quick it would seem!!!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Monumental brakes on those things and great reaction from the driver …. I suspect it wasn’t fully loaded though.

Flaperon

Could be autonomous braking if it’s a Volvo?

shifter
    Free Member

US system would’ve been better there.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d think that would have been a different story if filled to the gunnels, i’m guessing it’s empty?

woody2000

Oof, lucky boy(?) Could’ve been a different story in less than perfect conditions, wet road etc. No sign of a lock up or anything there, pretty undramatic in the end!

legend
    Free Member

shifter – Member

US system would’ve been better there.

Not crossing the road behind the bus would’ve been better

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m assuming that by “US system” Shifter means that vehicles have to stop while a school bus is loading/unloading?

When I was learning to drive I was taught that you should slow down whenever a bus is loading/unloading in case someone decides to run out from the blind side.

spooky_b329

Except in the US, half their trucks are still running around with drum brakes on the trailers…

The truck stopped in its own length, perhaps going a bit quick for passing a bus but at least the driver was paying attention. Wouldn’t say it was going particularly fast…

johndoh
    Free Member

pretty undramatic in the end!

It will have been pretty dramatic in the lad’s pants :-O

footflaps

If it was the UK, about 6 cars would have piled into the back of the truck, all on the phone oblivious to what was going on…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Judging by how closely HGVs tailgate on the motorway I’d assume they can stop almost instantly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In Norway they have presumed liability and an absolute right of way for pedestrians, so this kind of thing isn’t all that uncommon. My cousins were genuinely surprised by having to look both ways and wait for gaps in traffic, in Norway they’d just step out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

hisisnotaspoon – Member
    In Norway they have presumed liability and an absolute right of way for pedestrians, so this kind of thing isn’t all that uncommon. My cousins were genuinely surprised by having to look both ways and wait for gaps in traffic, in Norway they’d just step out.

surely that can’t apply to 60mph roads?

When I was learning to drive I was taught that you should use plain common sense, I slow down whenever a bus is loading/unloading in case someone decides to run out from the blind side.

FTFY

Not a dig at you btw

Jamie
    Free Member

Oooh. I reckon 5 pages, and it turning out several STW’ers are Lewis Hamilton.

Bream
    Free Member

Bloody lucky kid there, driver reaction and road conditions saved his life, almost perfect ? conditions. A split second driver delay or had it been wet then it would have been a different sad story.

whitestone
    Free Member

@TheArtist… The problem with common sense is that it isn’t particularly common 😉

footflaps

Oooh. I reckon 5 pages, and it turning out several STW’ers are Lewis Hamilton Surfmatt.

FIFY

He may have only have a 1.2 litre Jetta, with clip on plastic wheel trims over the steel wheels, but he was the greatest driver STW has ever seen…

geoffj

but he was the greatest driver STW has ever seen…

Glupton was a close second though

Northwind

People keep saying “don’t cross behind the bus” or “wait til the bus pulls away” but he just ran across the road, it doesn’t matter what the bus is doing or where it is if you just plan to sprint into traffic.

In brexit britain, we’ll have the power to drag him back and throw him under the wheels

franksinatra

There was a video doing the rounds a while ago showing Volvo automatic braking system. It was properly remarkable.

footflaps

In brexit britain, we’ll have the power to drag him back and throw him under the wheels

In brexit Britain the truck companies will have got the law changed so they don’t need such European liberal restrictions as brakes and traffic regulations and can just run over whatever they like in the name of capitalism…

And rightly so, if he’s a handwringing leftie. Or an immigrant

martinhutch

Good job the kid knew how to run Prometheus style.

sbob
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

In brexit Britain the truck companies will have got the law changed so they don’t need such European liberal restrictions as brakes and traffic regulations and can just run over whatever they like in the name of capitalism…

…back to what we had before we “harmonized” with the EU, with lighter loads meaning decreased stopping distances and less damage to our roads.
    😈

avdave2

On the seafront at Brighton at the cafe and golf course at Roedean is a pedestrian crossing. It first went in in the late 70’s after one of my classmates walked out in front of the bus he’d just got of as his family at the time ran the cafe and the pitch and putt course and he lived there. I can’t honestly remember now if Mark was 12 or just 13 at the time but I still never forget his death every time I go around or past a stationary bus.

jam-bo

I nearly did it in Vietnam, a few beers in, looked the wrong way, stepped into the road, mate grabbed the back of shirt and hauled me back towards the pavement.. side of a bus skimmed past my face.

docgeoffyjones

The design rate torque for truck brakes is massive. Its more of an example of good tyre and ABS design.

Volvo emergency braking

[video]https://youtu.be/ridS396W2BY[/video]

wwpaddler
    Free Member

surely that can’t apply to 60mph roads

There are no 60mph roads in Norway. They’re all less than 50mph unless motorway.

plyphon
    Free Member

Unrelated but this video came up in the ‘related videos’ section. Some sights in here I tell thee

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BE476MvO_g[/video]

Northwind

jam bo – Member

I nearly did it in Vietnam, a few beers in, looked the wrong way, stepped into the road, mate grabbed the back of shirt and hauled me back towards the pavement.. side of a bus skimmed past my face.

I leaped over a fence into the side of a moving transit once, that stang.

geoffj

Their trucks are better than their cars

[video]https://youtu.be/aNi17YLnZpg[/video]

maxtorque

The limiting factor for trucks is the concrete tyres they use, due to having to carry a massive normal load and operators wanting them to last for ages (relatively speaking) Modern high performance cars can generate a much higher average g force during braking thanks to high silica content tyres, especially in the wet

(in that video, the truck is i recon doing only about 30mph at the point it starts to brake)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Back in my day we had scary safety adverts on TV telling kids the dangers of stuff like this.

Should put them in the middle of videos on Facebook instead of the annoying mid-video adverts they currently have.

spooky_b329

Another lucky driver

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-giC24SxwE[/video]

redthunder
    Free Member

I also had a friend at primary school back in the 70’s, when he stepped out from behind an ice cream van. He did’t make it 🙁

Buses, ice cream vans etc. Always make me remember and puts me on high alert.

benp1

Just seen that HGV video, very impressive

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member
    Except in the US, half their trucks are still running around with drum brakes on the trailers…

No different to the UK. Most still run with drum brakes on trailers, in fact some operators are going back to drums as the disc brakes suffer badly from corrosion and seize up. Secondhand trailers are advertised as having drum brakes as a selling point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘How quick can a HGV stop?’ is closed to new replies.