Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how practical is a Devon coast to coast in 5 days – roadbikes with camping gear
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Anyone undertaken such an adventure?

any advice, routes?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

What route have you been looking at ?
    ilfracombe to Plymouth ? .. which is the classic devon c2c .. 102 miles almost all on sustrans route and almost 70 odd miles of flat riding ..
    have been looking at doing it myself over 2 days or a 3 day double
    More than doable on a road bike im guessing

scotroutes

Why would you need 5 days and camping gear?

crispybacon
    Free Member

as Stumpy m4 says on route 27 its 102 miles Ilfracombe to Plymouth so easily doable on roads bikes as the route is mainly quiet roads or cycle paths.

I would suggest that 5 days is a tad too long & would only be 20 miles per day which you could walk 😀

I did it a few years ago in one day on a BSO stayed in a B&B then rode back to Plymouth the next day. If you are gonna camp then there are plenty of places to pitch along the way, but maybe look to do it in fewer days.

ontor
    Free Member

very casual I would say. you could do a grand tour of devon in that time!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

we just want a lads 5 days away, it doesn’t need to be direct thinking a long winding jaunt, intersperced with pubs and camp sites

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you want a 5 day tour with the boyz down this way then catch the train to Penzance (when they repair the line at Dawlish) cycle to Lands End then ride Sustrans route 3 to Bristol camping/pubing on the way.

monkeyboyjc

Erm. Loose the camping gear and do it in a day?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

crispy that sounds the bacon! tah

belugabob
    Free Member

Blokes in a tent, “pubing”? – careful you don’t offend the locals.

Seriously though, we’re due to do the route both ways over 3 days in May. Don’t see that being too fast or too slow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how practical is a Devon coast to coast in 5 days – roadbikes with camping gear’ is closed to new replies.