Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How permanent is a tubeless plug repair ?
  • I put a plug in a ghetto tubeless tyre on Sunday.
    One of these. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Innovations_Tubeless_Patch_Kit/5360018216/
    It lasted the rest of the day OK, but it seemed a bit soft the next day.
    The bike’s not at home, so I haven’t had a proper inspection yet. It might have lost all its sealant, it certainly lost a lot at the time, or there might be another puncture, or maybe it’s just the valve leaking.

It’s only the second time I have used one of these plugs. Last time, as far as I remember, the repair lasted the life of the tyre.

How permanent do people usually consider plugs ?
    Are they fit and forget, or are they a get you home bodge ?
    Is it best to stick a proper patch inside the tyre as soon as possible ?

wwaswas

I tend to leave them in until the next time I’m changing a tyre and then fit a proper tyre patch on the inside. – I do trim them so thay are ‘below’ the level of the tread.

Also, top the sealant up a bit via the valve.

peachos
    Free Member

my front tyre currently has 2 patches that i superglued on the outside. try it, works fine! both were trailside repairs, i carry a old piece of sidewall and a small tube of superglue in my pack.

Yeah, I was going to top the sealant up anyway, there was loads of it all over the road and my legs.
    I’ve used heavier patches, the same ones I use on my Land Rover tubes, to patch damaged tyres before.
    I’m a bit concerned because I’m riding Oktoberfest next weekend so I don’t want to take any chances. If I was just commuting I’d put up with a possible slow puncture.
    I guess I ought to just get the bike home and dunk the tyre in a bucket to see where the air is escaping from to see if it is the plug or not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How permanent is a tubeless plug repair ?’ is closed to new replies.