Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How on earth do you move a washing machine?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

So, when I brought my flat I got the lady to chuck the washing machine in. Now we’re moving out into our new house we’re faced with having to move said washing machine. I live in a second floor flat.

Answers on a post card….. can you take the bits of concrete out of them to make them lighter?

donsimon
    Free Member

MTFU?

simonbowns
    Free Member

more people, sack truck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it requires the strength of two people or one big strong one

iBaa
    Free Member

Two man lift, bend with your knees, not with your back….

Kevevs
    Free Member

you get some mates and shift it.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Carry it you wuss

muggomagic

It’s a fairly comfortable 2 man lift. The hardest part I find is getting it in and out of the tight space. Once free it’s easy enough to lift.

Ewan
    Free Member

I was worried MTFUing would be the answer! I will endevor to grow a set.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

WTF!? Granted its best with two people, but They are movable on your own. Only thing I’ve been unable to move on my own was my wood burner 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Y00t of today 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Most have a set of rollers at the back, so you should be able to wheel it most of the way if you tilt it back a little. As for any stairs – two adults should manage it comfortably.

If you are going to put your hands under the frame, wear gloves (bike gloves would be good) in case you catch your hand on some sharp metal.

chaos

And have a load of old towels to hand for when it starts dribbling all over the place as you tip it over.

nealglover
    Free Member

You have three options:

1. Carry it.
    2. Leave it.
    3. Pay someone else to carry it.

They are all pretty simple, you just need to decide which one fits your needs.

Hope that helps.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Buy another flat with a washing machine in.

marsdenman
    Free Member

And have a load of old towels to hand for when it starts dribbling all over the place as you tip it over.

yep, been there, done that 🙂

As above , mates + (if available) a sack truck is the way forward IMO.
    Still makes me wince to think of me and 1 mate manoeuvring ours down into our cellar… bruised a few knuckles on that one…

edit – almost forgot – before connecting to the pipework don’t forget to check the rubber washers are still in the hose connectors, not ‘lost in transit’ or you’ll need to

have a load of old towels to hand for when it starts dribbling all over the place

been there, done that as well 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

as above, easily done with two people. but if it’s been used, worth repeating the advice above – it’s guaranteed to leak water out of it, more than likely quite a lot.

LimboJimbo

Plus 1 on the gloves. We recently had a similar move from first floor flat to house. We had a sack truck and wrapped it in a sheet. My top tips would be to put it on the truck sideways so if you scratch the paint it won’t be visible in it’s new home and also to drain it using the plug at the bottom before you put it in the van.
    Both tips I learnt the hard way 🙄

chaos

and/or lay the drain hose flat on the floor into a shallow tray for gravity to do it’s stuff.

Ewan
    Free Member

To be fair I’ve not tried to lift it – I just remember my dad taking one apart when I was about 10 and noting the large blocks of concrete in it!

Sack cart looks like a good call – easier to lift that down 4 flights of stairs.

piha
    Free Member

You might need some of this……..

maxtorque

Yeah, they can be grumpy old buggers, probably best just telling her you love her………………..

oh, not that kind of washing machine 😉

mrdestructo

Check the manual before moving it to lock the moving parts down so you don’t break them. All the washing machines I’ve bought in the past have had a manual locking device to undo before using it.

Keva
    Free Member

the last time I carried one up to a 2nd floor flat I was helped by a girl.

Edric64
    Free Member

Leave it there if its a few years old and buy a new one ?Save the hassle .is it the one you inherited?

project
    Free Member

Shove a cork in the drain hose to stop water leaking out, when outside lie it flat on the floor and the water will drain out,

Ratchet strap it to a sack truck to go down the stairs,

Put it on the sack truck on its side, to stop scratches,

Close and lock the door,

tape the cable to the top, as a cable trailing is eay to fall over,

get a strong mate to help,

donsimon
    Free Member

sugdenr
    Free Member

Get the PG Tips monkey in!

If they were left around, its best to put the transit bolts back in. they stop the concrete block wobbling around and potentially stressing hoses etc. I once knackered the sump hose like this.

highclimber
    Free Member

like this(skip to 0:54):

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc6iHbWjZ4s[/video]

timber

Unless it says Miele on the front, you can just pick it up and move it.
    Miele were the only washing machines I delivered that needed 2 people.
    Sack trolley is handy if there is a fair bit of distance.

TiRed

I moved our Miele from our previous house with nothing more than a Black & Decker trolley. Of course it rolled off on the drive onto its front (never try and catch one!). I’d locked the drum and the damage was limited to nothing more than a couple of scratches to the plastic. It’s been running fine for the past 18mo.

cbike
    Free Member

Who cares about the washing machine? Where did he bring his flat from?

Ewan
    Free Member

Leave it there if its a few years old and buy a new one ?Save the hassle .is it the one you inherited?

But when I flog the flat i’ll need to get rid of it anyway…. who wants a 6 year old Beko washing machine? (other than me, since it’s working fine)

nealglover
    Free Member

Who cares about the washing machine? Where did he bring his flat from?

Fair point.

If he can move a whole flat, the washing machine should be a piece of piss to shift :mrgreen:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why get rid ? Just say white good included. Youll only be sick when you get it to new house and it only works for a week 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why get rid ? Just say white good included. Youll only be sick when you get it to new house and it only works for a week

On a “they don’t make them like they used to” basis I’ve never paid for one, just got them free whenever people have upgraded for some reason on the basis that they seem to fail rather than wear out so an old one’s as likely to conk out in a year as a new one and the bits that do wear tend to be cheep.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Friends help you move.. real friends help you move dead bodies.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Moved 3 washing machines with my girlfriend, they’re not particularly heavy but you can often take the concrete out if you’re feeling lame. Otherwise, use a whatsit truck.

prettygreenparrot

Moving a washing machine up or down stairs? Best to get a couple of friends from the rugby club. Some beers afterwards make it a reasonable quid pro quo. The modern world of key tapping and carrying a laptop has stolen my birthright of heavy object moving. +1 on the Miele comment. Other washing machines almost float when picked up, compared to a Miele.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How on earth do you move a washing machine?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts