Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • how on earth can this be justified?
  • morgs
    Free Member

looking on CRC for a new rear mech and, following a suggestion on here, I started to look at rodie mechs. Then I saw this:
    THIS

how the hell can a rear mech cost more then an entry level bike????

tonyg2003

Well obviously it can’t (it’s a bit like driving a luxury car – you still get there but it feels a bit nicer on the journey).

I guess that shimano have put a lot of R&D into electric shifting and are extracting a premium to recoup that. So buy an Ultegra Di2 if you want electric shifting.

Remember roadie mechs often last year and years if well looked after.

Rorschach
    Free Member

$1200 😯

stuey
    Free Member

First review “3 months down the track and the upper jockey wheel has decided to let go. ” – was he using GT85 for chain lube? 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

cutting edge in costing more than entry level shocker

seosamh77
    Free Member

how the hell can a rear mech cost more then an entry level bike????

because some people are willing to buy it! I think perhaps you need a lesson in capitalism!

donsimon
    Free Member

Someone makes it, someone else puts a price tag on it, and finally someone further down the food chain justifies the previous two acts by buying it.
    Business innit?

Rorschach
    Free Member

£959

£4999
    I could go on…….

monotokpoint
    Free Member

go on then

Rorschach
    Free Member

£250

£350

£680

althepal

Wtf!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

ignoring the simple lessons in capitalism the OP has a point the mark up on each of those bling bits must be huge.

Northwind

You know what else? I have 3 bikes that cost more than my car! How can that be justified?

I’m aware this isn’t a clever or original point btw 😉

thered

These are all roadie bits apart from the forks aren’t they and my Rev’s cost more than those Fox’s! C’mon people, post soemthing for me to lust over.

honourablegeorge

@Northwind – it can’t – you need to buy a new car.

Northwind

More bikes you say? Well I’ve already got these 3 but OK!

onandon
    Free Member

Some of the road stuff is rather expensive. If people buy it companies will produce it.

780 euro

630 euro

Matt24k
    Free Member

The mark up will probably be same if not less in percentage terms than an XT rear mech . All that carbon, titanium and electrickery costs plenty in terms of materials but even more in R&D.

njee20
    Free Member

What matt said, you generally make less money (proportionally) on top end stuff. Brands like Schmolke are made by some fella named Jörn in his garden shed (probably), the scale’s not really comparable to Easton or whatever, and you pay a crazy amount for the privilege.

There’s a solution though – if you don’t wanna pay for expensive stuff, don’t…

If it was overpriced, someone would jump in and sell a similar product a lot cheaper.

Which sort of leads on to another question…

Why are there only two big derailleur manufacturers ?
    There’s lots of companies making brakes, pedals, hubs and other complex bicycle components.
    People like Hope have got the manufacturing equipment and customer base, why don’t they get in to such a big market ?

R.lepecha

3 big derailleur manufacturers if you are a roadie.

Campag, SRAM and Shimano.

morgs
    Free Member

I’m guilty of being ‘over specced’. I have some XTR bits and bobs (cassette, chain & rear mech) but there is no way I’d buy them knowing how much they are nowadays.

Each to their own i guess…

Nice point about hope etc, nice to see some more in the market space

Deveron53
    Free Member

There aren’t many advances you can make with standard roadie equipment. A rider on an old steel frame from the 1970s can trounce a rider on the latest carbon fibre gear, the time differences are negligible. As a result, roadies will pay exhorbitant amounts of money to be ‘one up’ on their fellow riders.
    As mountain bikers have more than tarmac and air to worry about, there’s a lot more innovation and bigger differences can be felt if a particular suspension design is more efficient.
    Something like that, anyway!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you seen how much a soccer player costs?
    I find it far easier to justify an expensive carbon mech than a millionaire ruining a lawn. But, for some, it’s a “hobby” they are happy to waste spend money on.

boxfish
    Free Member

I mean, come on! Have you seen the price of a Lambo these days? How on earth can they expect me to pay that much?

njee20
    Free Member

As mountain bikers have more than tarmac and air to worry about, there’s a lot more innovation and bigger differences can be felt if a particular suspension design is more efficient

We did this recently – road riders may not have to worry about more than ‘tarmac and air’, but wind tunnels are insanely expensive, and there’s more money in the road peleton. R&D costs (and subsequently purchase prices) on road kit is more expensive. More innovation on the road, it’s just more subtle.

Oxboy
    Free Member

My mates having those Fox forks on his new Patriot! That is if the shop can ever be bothered to get off their backsides and build it for him, 3 weeks late already ffs, you would think they would want the 4k it’s costing in the bank asap!

m1kea
    Free Member

Morgs, did you go and price up the rest of the system, – levers, front mech, cabling, battery etc?

A complete groupset is north of £2300, which means this Felt B10 TT bike is a veritable bargain.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘how on earth can this be justified?’ is closed to new replies.