Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • How old when you pay off your mortgage?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

57 (26 to go) if we stay here that long.

Plan like a few others on here was that this was to be our most expensive house and we bought it in fairly crap cosmetic condition. So hopefully its value will be significantly higher if/when we sell it, then we can move back up north and be mortgage free.

mattbee

11 years left, so 51. Hopefully means I’ll be able to cut my working hours a bit but we’ll see…

tonyg2003

Paid it off 6yrs ago so 43yrs old after getting shares in company sale that I’d been key to. It felt good and still does. No intention of getting another either.

carlosg
    Free Member

We’ll be 68. Bought our first house at 19 and sold it for more than 200% profit 15 years later. New house was a family owned property that I paid my uncle his 1/3 share straight out ,for the remainder I paid my mum 10% and pay a cheap mortgage every month (£250) .She’s said if she pegs out before it’s paid I owe my sister half of what’s left.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I’d had a couple more boom years with my business it’d be done, but we still have a low-ish five figure amount to go.

Should be done before I’m 50, but at least it’s nice low monthly payments.

wrightyson
    Free Member

This is a willy waving thread of top proportions.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

62 most likely. Reserved our house. But it won’t be built till September2018!

birky
    Free Member

42, 9 years ago. Always lived alone so it was a priority to get it paid off as no second income to fall back on.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

wrightyson: This is a willy waving thread of top proportions.

It is indeed. And mine will be paid off when me and the wife are 70.

Which means I win. Hooray. I win the willy waving thread.

I’ve got that right haven’t I…. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** paying off the mortgage. Mrs ws and I plus the kids now are partying hard still and paying off the mortgage as the contract requires. Bollox to overpaying and suffering now whilst we can still enjoy going out and doing/buying what we want when we want etc.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

paid off at the start of this month 😀

aged 48

curiousyellow
    Free Member

This is a willy waving thread of top proportions.

people who’ve paid it off, or are likely to pay it off early are more likely to be over represented on it to be fair.

NZCol

Depends on the value of the house surely in the willy waving stakes ? A fully paid up 1.5M would be quite something.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Why do people feel compelled to tell other random strangers this piece of useless information?

Does it matter? Everyones circumstances are different, if someone has a mortgage till their 100 so what, that on its own is meaningless.

Go watch Strictly ffs.

anagallis_arvensis

I dunno, but I did buy a new bike today so I is happy!!

Caher

I think given the astronomical house/income ratio if you drop out it can be very hard to get back on again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Always worth keeping the arrangement in place as it’s a v cheap way to borrow

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

57 but our mortgage is for 80% of the house, not sure when we’ll manage to get the other 20%. Maybe when the mil pops her clogs she’ll leave us enough to buy the rest out.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got 22 years left (am 44 now) so 66 – the year before I retire!
    We plan to overpay a little bit once the childcare costs drop, so hoping to get it down to nearer 60 eventually.

Nobody is going to be leaving us any money so down to us to pay it off.
    Not bothered about it really – as even though it is loads of money (£1300 PCM) it is still considerably cheaper than renting where we’ve chosen to live.

If it all goes wrong we’ve got enough equity in our house to buy outright a bit further away from London.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Probably about 20% true ‘brags’ too 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

I think its interesting. Perhaps all the skint whiners could FO to another thread to whine?

porlus
    Free Member

I’ll be 59 when ours is paid off. 16 years left to go. Only got the mortgage 3 years ago. Was a 30 year term initially. After 2 years the LTV was that good we dropped it to 17 years for £90 a month more. Hopefully able to drop the term once we don’t have to pay nursery fees. Mid 50s paid off is my plan.

chipster

3 weeks ago, at 57. It felt good.

nealglover
    Free Member

Go watch Strictly ffs.

I would, but I sold the TV to make my last ever mortgage payment 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Dead, probably. The biggest downside of divorce.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why do people feel compelled to tell other random strangers this piece of useless information?

Does it matter? Everyones circumstances are different, if someone has a mortgage till their 100 so what, that on its own is meaningless.

A useful gauge of whether you’re being sensible/reckless? Plenty good enough reason to ask.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was only 12 when I rocked up with a wheelbarrow full of cash and made the owner of my country estate a ridiculously high offer to move out on the spot.

Do I win a prize?

anagallis_arvensis

A useful gauge of whether you’re being sensible/reckless?

I dunno, but I did buy a new bike today so I is happy!!

😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Do I win a prize?

Yes. But it might not be the one you were hoping for.

senorj

It is willy waving .
    Ha.
    Five years left one one and the other will be sold to buy a northern castle.
    Or,we’ll stay in the south ,skint! and spend all our cash on artesan bread and organic veg.

caspian
    Free Member

70, I think. Only £350,631.94 to go. Good job I’m a single earner on a zero hours contract doing labouring and only have four other mouths to feed.

Not my favourite topic, this.

LMT
    Free Member

39 now will be 63 when it’s paid off, plan to clear the odd bit of debt over next few years then start to over pay hoping to cut it back to 55, if not will take my lump sum from pension and use that, will def pay it before 55 one way or another.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

A useful gauge of whether you’re being sensible/reckless? Plenty good enough reason to ask.

Quite possibly, but perhaps not in the direction you think.

So to clarify, do you think the sensible person is the one who has paid off his mortgage by the age of 45 or the bloke on the first page who has a big fat mortgage, presumably at a ridiculously low interest rate, and is making 8%PA on his big huge pot of savings?

ross980
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So to clarify, do you think the sensible person is the one who has paid off his mortgage by the age of 45 or the bloke on the first page who has a big fat mortgage, presumably at a ridiculously low interest rate, and is making 8%PA on his big huge pot of savings?

Depends whether you want/need a big house or not. No pockets in shrouds and all that.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Harmless enough thread. Made me think how lucky we are in the wider world picture, regardless of our mortgage balances.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What Mr sheen says

Tbh my plan is to treat it like a savings account mostly….

Overpay now while I work abroad in a wellpaying job(pays well because I work abroad in shit holes for weeks on end) and take payment holidays when needed/reduce my payment to suit the lesser paying job(as I don’t want to be that father if I can possibly not be) I’ll have once kids come along. ….

jimdubleyou

We just took on another mortgage to fund doing up our place. About 20 years to go, so 62 or so.

Sad to say, I think we might getting windfalls from dead parents sooner than that though so could be earlier.

scotroutes

50. 9 years ago.

It wasn’t a huge sum so I easily paid it off with the huge lump sum I got as part of my early retirement package.

km79
    Free Member

I’ll bet my flat cost less outright than some on here pay in a year towards their mortgage. It’s entirely possible to have no mortgage and a decent pot of savings. All about choices and what you want in life. Some are happy with a simple life and free time to enjoy it, others aren’t happy unless they have all the trimmings. No need to compare yourself to anyone else if you are happy doing what you’re doing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘How old when you pay off your mortgage?’ is closed to new replies.