Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How old is this bike? [Old]
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This lovely old thing is seen here parked outside a Bradford Lidl.

Looks like it’s used to commute/shop with.

It’s got rod brakes, but new pads, so it’s not just been dug out of a shed/museum.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

New chain too – what a beast.

Look at that saddle and the saddle angle!

Anyone else use such a relic?

anagallis_arvensis

Thats cool

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Brooks’ ‘extracoil’ saddle, maybe, I seem to remember magazine adds showing a bloke riding down a flight of stone steps on one. This one’s sagged a bit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I thought it was a Brooks, but it wasn’t. Maybe a copy of the Extracoil, perhaps.

tenfoot

Wow – rod brakes and cotterpin cranks. Takes me back to my childhood.

tthew

Had one a lot like that for a few years, until I went for a second restoration and found the fork steerer bent, so got rid. It was an old post office bike, and had brackets on the head tube for the carrier and twin top tubes for strength. I was told by the bloke I bought it off that the bolts on the bottom bracket put it pre-1930’s, but I’m not convinced. The way the seat stays bolt to the top of the seat tube is very like Pashley’s so it could be one of them.

It was bloody brilliant, 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears and once up to speed just bombed along due to the mega wheel inertia. (I did a 10 mile TT on it once, and did well under 30 mins) Brakes were completely ineffective, especially when wet, I nearly ended up in Lulwoth Cove during a short touring holiday. 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

With a head angle and fork rake like that, I’d say pre-war – 1920s maybe.

konabunny
    Free Member

don’t much more recent Chinese bikes (popular in Africa) use rod brakes?

ninfan
    Free Member

Photo of the chainring isn’t very good, but could be an old Ariel, pre 1925

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Now THAT is the ultimate pub bike.

CountZero

Difficult to say what that is, I reckon its been over-painted black at some point, there’s are no identifying marks on it, or head-tube badge. Could be a Rudge, BSA, Raleigh…
    Cool old bike, though, and lovely to see its still being ridden. 😀
    Odd tyre size, surprising tyres are still available; 28×1?, as far as I can tell, smooths the ride even better than 650B… 😉
    It’s not unlike this 1914 a Royal Sunbeam:

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yo.

Thanks for all the replies. It is a cool ol’ thing indeed.

The tyres were 700c.

So is there no consensus as to the age?

CountZero

Could be anywhere before 1950, I reckon; I don’t think things really changed very much until the 60’s.

It looks like it’s got pinch bolts for an eccentric bottom bracket, except that the crank spindle is not eccentric in the bottom bracket shell.
    I’m not sure what’s going on there, maybe it’s an obsolete way of securing the bearing cups?

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s the clamp on bracket for the rod brake.

With the short reach, slack head angle and very raked fork, I’m definitely going for 1920s ish – I had a 1914 Humber with very similar geometry.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Awesome sauce. My personal feeling is 20-30s. I hope I find the owner!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Now I look at the pic I can see why CZ said 1 3/8 tyres, it does seem to say that in the image. It did also say 700c so who knows WHAT the heck is going on there!

dooosuk
    Free Member

How’s the rear seat stay joined to the seat tube at the top?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think it was a bolt.

What are the options?

CountZero

[/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

I’ve cropped this bit of the tyre, I’m sure it says 28 x1? after ..0 x 35B. 650B, or 27 x1?, was the European standard touring tyre size, and pretty much the standard size on any adult bike until mountain bikes appeared in the late 80’s.
    Maybe 28″ was its predecessor.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How old is this bike? [Old]’ is closed to new replies.