Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How old fashioned are you?
  • Marin
    Free Member

Went into the Giant shop today and no 26ers at all. Don’t even make them anymore. News to me. Then drove home in a T4 which according to some threads is way past it. Was also listening to a CD (I know a CD for …. sake) of The Specials. Am I already dead and haven’t noticed yet?

ourmaninthenorth

Possibly.

I’m in that camp: had to ask to borrow as biro the other day, as all the pens I have are fountain pens….

timraven

Am I already dead and haven’t noticed yet

Well, 26″ ain’t dead, so I don’t think you are. 😀

jock-muttley

I got the “you are an axe wielding, child molesting, sex pest” look because I held a door open for a woman …FFS

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I don’t know what new-fashioned is.

So quite probably.

Blackhound

CD? I still listen to vinyl!

And one of my bikes is so old it hasn’t got a derailleur on it….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I had this very thought as I rode upon my velocipede the other day.

Bunnyhop

CD? I’m still listening to the wireless.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I got the “you are an axe wielding, child molesting, sex pest” look because I held a door open for a woman …FFS

I held a door for a ‘Lady’ a couple of months ago who as she approach it launched in to some tirade culminating with “I’m a lady not a cripple I can open my own **** doors” and then seemed quite shocked that I abruptly shut said door right in her face as she was about to pass through it and she walked in to it. Miserable harpy.

khani
    Free Member

I’m so old I still pay car tax, paying VED feels like I’m giving my car the clap..
    And I put some music on my iPhone instead of buying a cd but it just felt wrong. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Not very.

– I listen to mostly CDs, but that’s partly because I have a nice hifi and don’t want to connect a crappy MP3 player to it.
    – Smartphone
    – Hybrid car
    – Watch Netflix or similar instead of broadcast telly
    – Talk to my wife on instant messaging and social media all day instead of calling
    – Skype my kids

In bike terms though I’m a right fuddy duddy:

– three MTBs all 26
    – all 1.125 steerer
    – all normal rear mechs
    – all 3×9
    – all normal riser bars
    – no stem under 90mm
    – one even has QRs and a 25.4 bar!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Still believe wives should be bought and sold.
    Probably get a decent trade in on mine, fully trained with low mileage.

crankboy
    Free Member

I wear a separate collar and cufflinks at work . refuse to drink beer out of a bottle and still have tapes I listen to.

ssboggy

I think I’m old fashioned because I’ve got 3 29ers 😯

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m cutting edge, me.

My bike

My car

My music

RustySpanner

I’m so old fashioned I still pay the BBC licence fee.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I believe that mountain bikes should have rigid Reynolds steel tubed frames, Brooks sprung saddles, fifteen speed friction thumbshift gears, a screw on freewheel, and a loose ball BB with a grease port.

I wish it were still possible to buy one for £500.

Cougar

I held a door for a ‘Lady’ a couple of months ago who as she approach it launched in to some tirade culminating with “I’m a lady not a cripple I can open my own **** doors” and then seemed quite shocked that I abruptly shut said door right in her face as she was about to pass through it and she walked in to it. Miserable harpy.

I once got called a sexist pig (without a hint of irony) a good few years ago for holding a door open for a ‘lady’.

“I didn’t hold it open because you’re a lady, I held it open because I’m a gentleman” is what I realised I should’ve said about two days later. Esprit de l’escalier.

Marin
    Free Member

Arrrr you young at hearts. Vinyl skips terribly in the van you know. It is the first CD player I’ve ever had and its only been in a week. Drink beer out of glasses but if I lower myself to lager its out the bottle. NEVER cans. Unless its Dr Pepper of course.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wear hats. Proper hats.

bearnecessities

Women shouldn’t have been given the vote.

They should just stick to making tasty sandwiches for men.

[/Endthread]

hora
    Free Member

If Giant are wrong. We’ll never know. How can retail/companies tell us what to do?

What next- huge release of e-bikes, active suspension etc?

I wish Giant would try and make good looking bikes. Always ugly/Taiwan factorytastic.

Who buys huge company bikes? People with no taste?

Spesh, Giant and even kona to a degree. Santa Cruz get away with it. Just.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Women can vote?
    When the **** did that happen?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I remember when this was all fields.
    I remember when Wagon Wheels were the size of saucers.
    I remember when wives stayed at home to look after the children.
    When there was something worth watching on TV.
    When the oldies were new releases.
    When the news was fact rather than opinion or celebrity dross.
    I remember… Now what was it I remember?…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a suit of armour..

avdave2

I would reply Marin but we haven’t been introduced.

footflaps

I would reply Marin but we haven’t been introduced.

I had my Man look into his affairs, but turns out he’s from the wrong sort of class, so we won’t be speaking.

CountZero

Old fashioned?

Enough to hold a door open for someone out of courtesy, regardless of gender, but if someone launched into a rant like that I’d have done the same.
    The verbal reply would be along the lines of “if you were a lady, you’d smile and say thank you”
    As it happens, I think I’ve only ever once had a woman glare at me for having the affrontery to actually hold a door open: sour-faced old baggage with a mouth like a poodle’s bottom. I just said “no, thank you. Bitch” to her retreating back.
    Cow.
    Otherwise, no. Currently listening to Feed The Tree by Belly, 320Kb AAC file ripped from CD on my A/V system, music played from my Mac Mini, controlled by the Remote app on my pad or phone.
    Beats the hell out of having to get up and turn a record over, or take a CD out and put another one on.
    Although I am going to have to get my lazy ass off the couch to get a shot glass and my bottle of Laphroaig. Life can be such a trial, sometimes… [sigh] 😉

singletrackmind

Still watch TV on a CRT tele. No flat screen witchcraft in my flat.

chewkw
    Free Member

I stopped at CD … not sure what after that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m so old fashioned I still type “a lot” as two words and have no idea what “prolly” means.

natrix
    Free Member

When I travel up to town on the train I take a flask of tea rather than drink over-priced

coffee

out of a cardboard cup………

br
    Free Member

Best quote ever was from my Grandad, he was a Publican for most of his life.

Grandad – “Do you know what the worse thing that’s ever happened?”

Me – “No?)

Grandad – “When they changed the law and I had to let women into the Bar”

To set the scene, he had roughish town-centre pub with a Bar, Snug (accessed from the rear) and Concert Room. Women belonged in the Snug.

CaptainSlow

You lost me at “fashioned”. What is this word?

RustySpanner

‘Fashioned’is the same as ‘made’, but by an IT bloke with a beard, uneccessary woodburner and filthy jeans.

DrJ

CD? I’m still listening to the wireless.

Home Service? or the light programme?

IHN

I’m looking at this on Ceefax.

I don’t actually use a computer. All my posts to this forum are done through written correspondance between myself and the secretary chappie at Single Track World.

It takes an age to follow a “thread” (I belive thats what you young folk call it), but its so much more civilized.

DrJ

written correspondance

On Basildon Bond, I assume. Written with your Platignum pen.

slowoldman

Vinyl? Isn’t it Nu-Vinyl in this post-CD world? All those wiggly lines storing tunes has to be better that ones and noughts surely? I mean, that’s almost homeopathy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How old fashioned are you?’ is closed to new replies.