Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How often should you replace your lid?
  • IHN

I’m sure we used to be told to replace lids after 5-ish years due to UV degradation of the polystyrene or something. Is that still the case?

Mine’s got to be that old, just wondering whether I should look to replace it (even though it’s, visually, fine and although I’ve had offs in that time, I’ve never whacked my head)

munrobiker
    Free Member

I would, and always do. Not only is there this stuff about polystyrene degrading, which I’ve no doubt the STW Unintelligentsia will be along in a bit to denounce as rubbish, there’s also the fact that you’ve dropped it how many times, let it roll around banging off stuff in the boot of your car, kicked it by mistake, had it blown across a car park floor and, doubtless, bumped your head in it in five years.

It’s probably had enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The stuff about polystrene degrading is rubbish 😀

Seriously I don’t bother, and I’ve yet to see independent evidence that there’s a need.

All the stuff Luke refers to amounts to incidental damage at most.

IHN

there’s also the fact that you’ve dropped it how many times, let it roll around banging off stuff in the boot of your car, kicked it by mistake, had it blown across a car park floor and, doubtless, bumped your head in it in five years.

Thing is, I probably haven’t. But you’re probably right.

arcoolc
    Free Member

Just tell yourself it’s too old. Then you have an excuse to get the credit card out and buy something new 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

The natural oils in your skin and or hair along with UV light will gradually harden the polystyrene over time. The shell then loses its flexibility and passes more impact energy to your skull. The helmet is a damper designed to absorb and dissipate the force of an external impact.
    It is not really the amount of time passing that dictates when you should replace your helmet more the amount of use.
    If you are a light user that never falls off, keeps it safely stored and doesn’t sweat much, you can leave it longer before replacing it.

flatfish
    Free Member

Motorcycle helmets are recommended to be replaced every 3 years even if its not been dropped.
    I usually get a new cycling helmet every 2-3 years. Due to dropping it, kicking it(not in anger), tripping over it,etc.

IHN

Ah screw it, I’ll get a new one. Trip to Leisure Lakes tomorrow…

Trimix
    Free Member

I dont plan to replace mine unless I break it.

I dont expect my helmet to do much in a crash and also dont see any UV degradation etc haveing enough affect on it to change its very limited ability by much at all.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Many high end motorcycle helmets come with a 5 year warranty. Arai recommend that you replace it after the warranty expires or up to 7 years if you are a less frequent wearer.

FOG

Having head butted a rock at Glentress which left me with a sore head, a stiff neck and a split helmet, I always buy the best I can afford and change it every 2-3 years. OK, it may never happen again but I hate to think of the state my head would be in without a decent helmet.

IHN

enough affect on it to change its very limited ability by much at all.

That’s a fair point. I suppose that even with a bit of degradation, the level of protection provided by a lid is only dropping from ‘not a great deal really’ to ‘a bit less than that’.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“best you can afford” has the same protection as “the cheapest you can buy”.

IHN

Okay, I’ve changed my mind, I’ll keep using the one I’ve got.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

The recommendation for replacement is 3 years I think. I would probably change it after 2 though to be on the safe side.

AndyP
    Free Member

anything to back that up? Interesting sweeping generalisation. Yes, the more money you spend you tend to get more vents, better strap/retention systems etc, but I reckon you’re stretching a point there.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

This.

Plus, more expensive = more vents = less protection.

munrobiker
    Free Member

He is right- usually a pricey helmet will have as much protection as a cheap one with some exceptions like the Giro Xar which covers more of your head and the Poc Trabec.

Trimix
    Free Member

I used to work for a company that made cycle helmets. They had to pass a BS standard and we had a test lab in the factory. The test consisted of the helmet sitting on a wooden head and a weighted metal pointy thing being dropped directly on top of it from a few inches.

You passed the test if it only deformed the helmet a certain amount.

It was a completely pointless test for real world use.

As a company they offererd a range of helmets – all made from the same stuff, all that was different was styling. The mould machine was the same, the raw materials were the same. Dont kid yourself with the marketing bollocks – they were “designed” in a few mins by the cheapest designer we could find who just copied the competitions. The mould machine was several hundered thousand pounds second hand, no company is going to “invest” in anything other than a fancy colour scheme or a new marketing promotion.

soobalias
    Free Member

i used to replace lids after a crash, now i use them till they fall to bits

yunki
    Free Member

I replace mine every week..

MrSalmon
    Free Member

In some article a while back I think Met worked out their lids were good for 8 years.

On the one hand obviously the helmet companies have a vested interest in people replacing their lids fairly frequently. On the other hand, plastics etc. can and do degrade over time so it’s not hard to believe they won’t last forever.

Personally I’ve found that something causes a little seed of doubt to be planted (an off, kicking it across the car park, realising how long I’ve had it) and then I start looking for a new one. I’m only on my 4th one ever though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

anything to back that up? Interesting sweeping generalisation. Yes, the more money you spend you tend to get more vents, better strap/retention systems etc, but I reckon you’re stretching a point there.

A generalisation, but they all pass the same tests, so as far as protection goes, it holds, and I’ve not seen anything to counter it.

Every single helmet I’ve broken (6 total, 4 in crashes I think) has cracked rather than crushed, so it seems they cracked before crushing, so in theory even a split helmet can provide some protection. Given the main protection is from cuts and bruises I don’t replace every time it cracks.

madhouse

I’d heard it was every three years but then I don’t follow that, although I’ve recently started looking at new lids after deciding that 6 was probably a bit old for mine.

All I can really say is replace it whenever you like, it’s your head.

AndyP
    Free Member

but they all pass the same tests
    no they don’t.

TiRed

My Met was just over 10 years old when it gave its all last summer. Cracked right up the inside as designed when I smacked it (and my head) sideways into the ground.

Now replaced with two Giros Prolight for road and Hex for off road. The Prolight is fantastic – but I’m too worried to wear it off road as it wasn’t cheap 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but suppose I designed a test that said “you are a sprinter if you can sprint 100m in 15 seconds”

Now me and Mr Bolt both do the test and pass, on the same day, and under the same conditions.

Who’s the better sprinter?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you polish it regularly it keeps you happier….. :mrgreen:

Bushwacked
    Free Member

IHN – I think you’ll be alright without one 😉

By the way, Fetish Bike Company in Leckhampton has a sale on Urge but also have a range of helmets in stock other than those LL have.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Ah screw it, I’ll get a new one. Trip to Leisure Lakes tomorrow…

Ok, now you can shop guilt free! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Now me and Mr Bolt both do the test and pass, on the same day, and under the same conditions.

Who’s the better sprinter?

Is that supposed to be relevant to my point? I said that generally helmets offer the same protection standards regardless of cost (comparing like for like).

I didn’t say which was better.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

My wife asks me to replace the lid every time I flush. 😉 (sorry, my mind worked differently when I read the title)

IHN

IHN – I think you’ll be alright without one

U iz probly right bruv, i’z so got da rad skilz dat i can trix to da max man but i’z never fallin’ off. Aiiit!

Wookster

I’m every three years or serious knock. That’s my rule of thumb. With the kids I change their lids yearly as they have a harder life than mine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    IHN – I think you’ll be alright without one

U iz probly right bruv, i’z so got da rad skilz dat i can trix to da max man but i’z never fallin’ off. Aiiit!

Ah, so now we know who Mark Datz really is 😀

IHN

Ah, so now we know who Mark Datz really is

You may think that my dear, but I couldn’t possibly comment 😉

ashfanman
    Free Member

My wife asks me to replace the lid every time I flush.

To replace it, not lower it? Sounds like you need to improve on your aim, if you’re destroying the seat with each visit. 😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Oh, has it been proven that helmets of any age help in the event of an accident…….? 😈

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I’m buying a new helmet ’cause it stinks. I’ve tried washing the liners and cleaning it but it still smells 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How often should you replace your lid?’ is closed to new replies.