Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How often should you bleed brakes? (Avid content)
  • joshbosh12
    Free Member

It seems i’m always unhappy with the performance of my Elixir 5s they constantly seem to touching my bars when braking. So i just wonder how often it should really be done?

svalgis
    Free Member

Get some Deore’s and bleed them once every ten years or so.

scaled
    Free Member

Once a year I think.

I used to do mine every 2-3 weeks till one day I got it right and I’ve not had to do it since!

danielgroves
    Free Member

Had to do my one of my Juicy’s after every ride. Running XTs now, and 16 months later all they’ve needed is a new set of pads or two.

JAG

Scaled has it – if you do the bleed right then you never HAVE to bleed them again.

If your brakes are in good condition and not leaking then there’s no reason why they should need bleeding.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wheelies have told me my Avids should be bled every 2-3 months!

yetidave
    Free Member

bled mine about 3 years back.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The bleed schedule is in the name with Avid brakes,

Avid 7’s = every 7 days

Avid 5’s = every 5 days

(Apparently)

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Avids…..weekly.
    Throw them in the bin.

Mintman
    Free Member

Every 3 years for me.

To be honest if the levers routinely hit the bars then it sounds like you’ve either bled them incorrectly or you’ve got a problem. Did you bleed them using the Sram video on youtube or the instructions in the book? I find the video is much better.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

BB7’s.

Cable swap in’s & outs once a season.

*runs away*

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 brakes, 2 I’ve had for 3 years and 2 I’ve had for 2 years. I’ve bled 3 brakes. 2 of those only needed to be done because I deliberately let the oil out as I replaced the pistons.

Do it once and it shouldn’t need doing very often at all. Maybe 12 months if you are picky.

marc
    Free Member

I was a bit annoyed to find that the fluid does degrade with use. My Hopes needed bleeding after only 10 years. Tsk!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Never

creedy
    Free Member

Tricky one. Had no probs with my front but had to mess about with my rear due to seized piston. Took me 3 attempts but touch wood, not had a prob since. I think the internals on the levels are very exact, so a little to much pressure causes failure due to fluid getting past the seals. Still, gonna change em for some slx when can afford!

joshbosh12
    Free Member

Maybe i should take them to my LBS and get a full bleed done.
    I did see what new brakes i could get second hand for £150ish but all i can find is Avid which from what i’m reading is a bad choice…

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I was looking at the XT ones on there earlier but no rotors or mounts..will i need them or can i use my existing bits?

creedy
    Free Member

If I had 120 quid I’d be all over them slx!!

Ambrose

Follow the YouTube instructions and you will be fine. I’m 100kg plus, ride in really nasty conditions (e.g. calipers submerged, Welsh gritty mud, Alps) and even with my weird Frankenbrake Avid set-up I have only needed to bleed once, when fitting. FWIW, I used a hi-spec fluid to help prevent boiling, I used to drag the brakes rather too much.

satchm00
    Free Member

After using avid 5s for years I have finally ditched them…infuriating after a while.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

The Juicy 7’s I had worked great but needed bleeding every time I replaced the pads.

spacemonkey

Hopes = never.

Ambrose

All these brakes being binned= how much would you sell me a pair for?

breadcrumb

Juicy 3s coming up five years old, never needed bleeding.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How often should you bleed brakes? (Avid content)’ is closed to new replies.