Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • How often do you see your dentist?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

Just for a checkup.
    I was seeing mine every 6 months but now they are suggesting every 4 months, and I’m unsure whether they are trying to scam me.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I last went in 1989. Booked my next appointment forgetting that I’d have left the area to go to uni – never got round to re-registering anywhere.

lunge

Once a year normally.

johndoh
    Free Member

Twice a year. With the plan I am on I can get hygienist appts. every three months but I never get around to that and just see them both at the same time.

paul4stones

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg19

I see mine daily. Sometimes several times a day.

seosamh77
    Free Member

badnewz – Member
    Just for a checkup.
    I was seeing mine every 6 months but now they are suggesting every 4 months, and I’m unsure whether they are trying to scam me.

How can it be a scam if a check up is free?

badnewz
    Free Member

Sorry my bad. I normally go for a checkup and they end up doing a clean up, normally comes to around £60 English pounds.

Coyote
    Free Member

Every 12 months or so.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

1999 as far as I can remember?

allthepies
    Free Member

Was every 12 months but I’m on the naughty step this time and have to go back in 6 months.

They’re not free (in England).

aracer
    Free Member

Is it?

badnewz
    Free Member

Given our national stereotype for bad teeth, the government should pay us to go to promote “Britain is Great”.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Every six months now but he wanted me to go every three but hate the dentists……would rather break a bone….it may be fish to your age and receding gums or impending issues with your teeth…..my Idea would be to ask him/her they won’t be offended.
    I’m glad I have gone more regular, receding gums have exposed some roots of my teeth so he’s back filled the exposed root areas to try and stave off the inevitable……..I blame poor genetics….again 😆

the-muffin-man

Once a decade.

bones
    Free Member

Every six months I pay about 40 quid to hear “yeah, all fine”. Not a bad job that.

SaxonRider

Umm. About ten years ago, I thought I had a toothache, but it was nothing.

I haven’t been back, but I brush at least twice a day, and floss when I get a piece of apple peel caught that I can’t get out any other way.

fasthaggis

seosamh77
    Free Member

badnewz – Member
    Sorry my bad. I normally go for a checkup and they end up doing a clean up, normally comes to around £60 English pounds.

Cost me £14 to get a clean last month.

avdave2

When he lived opposite me I saw him most days, not so often now.

Bimbler
    Free Member

see the dentist every 6 months, I see the hygienist every 3 months

seosamh77
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

Fair do’s, didn’t know that.

regards to the op, historically I’ve been terrible, not got the greatest looked after teeth, could do with some cosmetic work.

If I’d a time machine, one thing I’d do is go back and tell my younger self to pay more attention to them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve never got this going to the dentist for a check up thing. I don’t go to the doctor every 6 months for no reason so why go to the dentist?

I would go if there was something wrong but my teeth are fine.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    I’ve never got this going to the dentist for a check up thing. I don’t go to the doctor every 6 months for no reason so why go to the dentist?

I dare say if I had a proper scale and polish at least once a year, I’d have better teeth.

chewkw
    Free Member

edit: double post

chewkw
    Free Member

Every 6 months for £65 private No NHS subsidy.

£35 polish
    £30 checking

Then whenever I need them.

edit: or £75 … might be £40 & £35 … arrghh … anyway that’s what I am paying.

maccruiskeen

Went a couple of months ago for the first time in 25 years. Its very much as I remember it, although if my dentist back in 1991 had the same combination of quite big boobs and quite short arms as my current practitioner my teenage self might not have let the checkups lapse so easily.

nickc

have you asked your dentist?

Generally there’s no set guidelines for frequency of visits. what’s right for a pt with periodontal issues isn’t going to be right for some-one with healthy teeth and gums. If you’ve been seeing a dentist regularly over a long time and you’ve got no issues, I’d normally expect to see the time between appt. to be less rather than more frequent, but if the dentist has concerns over a particular tooth/teeth than more frequent visits might be appropriate if they want to monitor it/them. However that should have been explained to you, and you should have signed a treatment plan?

Notter
    Free Member

Hygienist every 6 months, dentist once a year (touch wood, I haaaaate going to the dentist!)

badnewz
    Free Member

have you asked your dentist?

I should have phrased my original post differently, as I don’t actually see the dentist.

I only see the hygienist, I’m wondering if she may be taking me for a ride with every 4 months rather than the standard 6, as I havent needed any work on them, no fillings so far.

slowoldman

Was every 6 months, now 12 months at the dentist’s suggestion. Very rarely need any work other than a scale and polish.

mos

I aim for a check up every 4 months but I rarely make it as I usually Need some form of treatment in the meantime as my teeth just seem to tall apart even though I avoid sugar as much as possible.

DrP

Isn’t it about £17 odd quid in England.. And did you know, a polish should be INCLUDED in that cost…

It’s gone up – from NHS website:
    Band 1 course of treatment – £18.80
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

DrP

FuzzyWuzzy

Approx 25 years ago for me (no fillings so far), although I could do with a scale and polish so keep meaning to register…

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dentist twice a year, hygienist twice a year because my oncologist says so. 😕

ThePinkster

I see my dentist twice a week in the gym and twice a year in her surgery unless I have something urgent that needs sorting.

13thfloormonk

Once in the last ten years, the only problem I had was pain when chewing on a filling I was given (unnecessarily IMO…) over 10 years ago.

Whilst she was in there she replaced the old filling, gave me another couple of fillings and cleaned/scaled/polished one side of my mouth as she ran out of time.

Since then the only problems I’ve had had been greatly increased sensitivity on the side that she polished (thankfully this has eventually diminished) and occasional pain on that same old filling that she replaced, which I never though I needed in the first place 🙁

I’ve religiously brushed twice a day since childhood and am pretty light on fizzy drinks.

Safe to say I’m no conflicted, part of me wants to believe that the fillings I’ve been given are preventing worse damage to my teeth, but part of me just believes I’ve paid for fillings I didn’t need which so far have a 1 out of 3 track record for giving me further problems. Grrrr

nickc

as I don’t actually see the dentist.

ever?

ok, ask the hygienist then… smart arse 😆 . If they think that you need extra cleaning, there may have been some change in your oral health, I’d be expecting the hygienist to recommend an appt with the dentist though rather than just up the cleaning regime…You can see a hygienist without a prescription and they can do simple fillings, but they’re not an alternative service, you should be still be seen by a dentist, even if that’s just once a year

slackalice
    Free Member

Isn’t it about £17 odd quid in England.. And did you know, a polish should be INCLUDED in that cost…

It’s gone up – from NHS website:
    Band 1 course of treatment – £18.80
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

DrP

I wonder how many of those at £18.80 need to be done per hour to match the practitioner’s required hourly rate to keep their business/practice going?! Not sure I would entrust the care of my mouth to a conveyor belt system that the NHS fee rates seem to require.

Little wonder the drill and fill mentality comes to the fore, gotta boost the income somehow.

As for the OP, if you don’t trust the judgement or advice from your existing medical professional, perhaps seek a second opinion?

I am neither a dentist or hygienist, but I do wonder sometimes at the low value some people place on their personal health, yet will happily spunk hundreds of pounds per month on material possessions. Still, your life, your values 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m another sceptic about check ups. I’m convinced it’s a racket.

Three years since last visit.

Lucky to have strong teeth though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

NHS dentists are not 100% NHS, they take a certain proportion of their patients as NHS. Don’t feel too sorry for them, you don’t see too many poor dentists kicking about.

I think the cost of a check up and scale and polish as an NHS patient quite reasonable. The problem with teeth is that they were not designed to deal with the onslaught of sugars and acids that we shovel down our throats these days, so in answer to the comment about not seeing a doctor every 6 months for a check up, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. You’re teeth are under constant attack. I am pretty thorough about cleaning my teeth daily, and I still need a scale and polish when I visit the dentist every 6 – 12 months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How often do you see your dentist?’ is closed to new replies.