Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How often do you remove the pedals from your bikes?
  • Daffy

I seem to do this rather a lot, whether it’s to swap between clips for a proper ride, and flats for a family ride, or just because the wrong pedals are on the wrong bike.

I’ve recently bought a bike (sh) and the pedals are screwed on so tightly, that I’ll need a pry bar to remove them…this got me thinking.

So, are you a pedal swapper? Do you have more pedals than bikes, or more bikes than pedals?

honourablegeorge

Never, other than removing the pedals form the DH bike for travel – and one of the pedal threads on my cranks doesn’t like that process one little bit

mark88

at present, never. Always run SPDs on MTB and flats commuter/pub bike. Currently undecided on flats or SPD for when I get a slacker trail bike, so that may have regular changes.

mjsmke

Only to replace them if broken. I snapped a 15mm spanner trying to remove some pedals last week. And yes I was turning the correct way.

dknwhy

Never (at the moment). Although, when I sell my 29er hardtail I may swap between flats and SPD on my new full suss.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I fly, about every 6 weeks

DezB
    Free Member

When I change the cranks.

They never need a pry bar cos I’m not stupid enough to do em too tight (and I use copper slip) 🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

Nearly every week on my DH bike depending upon course.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Occasionally, just to make sure they don’t seize on.

I’m a big fan of backing things off occasionally, and re-torquing so they don’t seize, especially considering the crap we ride in.

Mind you, some components don’t last long enough to seize.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rarely, SPD’s on my XC and road bike, flat pedals on the jumpy/enduro/trail bike, toe straps on the tourer/commuter/pub bike.

sandwicheater

About every 2-3 years when the pedal dies.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Once in a blue moon, I only ride flats and use Nukeproof Electron Plastic pedals, I usually get 18 months out of them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I replaced my Brompton pedals with some Wellgo MG-1’s with a “QRD” quick release thing. Its great. They’re like proper pedals, but clip off in 1 second. The MG-1’s appear infrequently, but there’s loads of similar pedals, SPD and flats, on eBay. Search for “Wellgo QRD”.

martinhutch

About every two weeks at the moment. Squeaky bloody bastards.

Is there an easy way of getting at the internals of V12s? The online guides seem to involve various bodgery.

portlyone

I have Shimano A530s on my road/commute/pub bike so don’t need to change them as often as I would. Once I replace my stolen pub bike I can think about appropriate pedals.

I have SPDs on Heckler and Chameleon, and only the Heckler gets changed to flats very rarely.

benp1

It would be at least once a week if two of my bikes didn’t have dual sided pedals with SPD’s on one side and flats on the other

I use flats for local things like pop to the shops, doing errands and taking the kids out

SPDs for longer rides/commuting

My MTB has proper flats

Northwind

Only really when servicing. Or randomly upgrading for new pedals that are 5 grams lighter.

lunge

Rarely. Each bike has suitable pedals on and they tend to stay on until they die or a fancy a change.

Daffy

I must be doing something wrong. I think part of my pedal fettle seems to stem from not having enough pedals…

gwaelod
    Free Member

Got 323s on my commute bike….spd side for back and forth to work, flat side for nipping out to shops.

plus-one

You need more bikes !!!! Problem solved 😆

slowoldman

Is there an easy way of getting at the internals of V12s? The online guides seem to involve various bodgery.

I’ve had mine and Mrs. SOM’s V12s in bits. Remove the dust cap with an allen key, remove bolt on end of axle. Pull off pedal. Mind you, if you want to remove the bushes you need a magic tool. There are some online videos knocking around.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Once a month at the same time I take out the dropper post, clean and regrease it.
    Just basic maintenance that takes a few seconds.

matther01
    Free Member

Once every month or so. Nothing worse than a fused friggin pedal

integerspin
    Free Member

Drive side probably never. Non drive side whenever I change a mech cable or have to adjust mechs.
    The pedals don’t clear the rack behind the stand, so I have to take one off to turn the cranks; I could move the stand out but it’s no trouble to
    remove a pedal.
    When I fit pedals I put a dab of Duralac on the threads, and they undo OK.

BigDummy
    Free Member

if you want to remove the [V12] bushes you need a magic tool

I recently bought the DMR pedal servicing tool, as I was bored. It is a majestically massive piece of metal. It looks smaller on the internet.

🙂

I take peggles off periodically, basically to prevent them seizing in. It annoys me no end when I can’t get them off!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How often do you remove the pedals from your bikes?’ is closed to new replies.