Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How often do you need to inflate air forks?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Got some new forks which are a couple of rides old now.

I inflate them in the evening and by morning they have lost a noticable about of preasure. Is this normal?

nuke

Is this normal?

No…but maybe

TFT…

"When I take the pump off, I hear air escaping and when I put the pump back on, the pressure reading is lower. Is my fork leaking?
    No. When you remove the pump after setting to your desired pressure, the air from the pump escapes (not the air from your fork). Similarly, when you re-engage the pump, pressure from the fork goes into the pump, thus reducing the pressure in your fork. (There’s a greater drop in pressure in the negative side, as this is a smaller chamber.) When you take the pump off, the reading you see is the pressure that’s in your fork. Occasionally, however, a pump or valve may be faulty. "

…so the pressure reading you get in the morning will be lower as, when you attach the pump, air from the fork will be used to fill it.

clubber
    Free Member

No, not normal. All the air forks I've ever fettled or owned have not needed topping up for several months.

As above, they will lose a little bit of air each time you remove the pump though so what sort of difference in pressure are you talking about?

nickc

Always had to top up my Rebas as they seemed to loose air at a pretty consistent rate (only a few psi a week) even after a service they did this. Never had to do it with any other fork.

Jezwick
    Free Member

Worth considering that you need to put a few pumps extra (always works out about 3 pumps extra on my RS forks)…so for example if I'm wanting 110psi on the postitive chamber of my Revs I'll pump to 115psi: this will amount to 110psi when I re-attach pump

Thats because when you attach the pump air will leave the chamber and fill the pump tube up. You don't need to when pumping up add this into your pressure.

Earl
    Free Member

It's noticable using the 'pumping the handlebar' test as it feels a lot softer from memory.

Using the pump – 90psi at night – 65 by morning including loss from reataching the pump.

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmm, if that's in the +ve side that sounds a bit much. What forks are they?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Exactly as Nuke said. Example: I set my Pikes at 125 psi +ve. If I reconnect the pump immediately after I've checked them, the pressure shows about 100 psi.

1) Set your forks to the correct pressure
    2) Disconnect the pump
    3) Reconnect the pump and note the new (lower) pressure reading
    4) Use this as the nominal pressure to check if you are losing anything

I check mine every 1-2 weeks but that is probably overkill – I just like maintaining my bike. The biggest effect should be from any temperature change in the weather. Also make sure you set your pressures at outside temperature, not inside. Especially in cold weather if you keep the bike indoors stick it outside for 30 mins before doing the pressures to let everything cool down

nuke

Using the pump – 90psi at night – 65 by morning including loss from reataching the pump.

Like rickos, if thats the + chamber that is a big difference but I'll notice a 30 psi difference on the – chamber (pump to 130psi, take off pump, reconnect, reading of 100 psi)

LMT
    Free Member

Ive currently got 3 bikes, with 3 different air shoxs, Revs 426, Reba Teams and Reba SL's none of the demostrate what you guys are saying, they hold air perfectly and there is no difference between taking the pump off and checking the pressure before a ride, have you tried a different pump??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just ride it for a week and see if it drops and goes squidy.

I always think my bikes/forks are worse than they are, so im plesently suprised when they'r actualy quite light and plush when i ride them. Just ride them and see what happens.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

No way you should see that much of a difference, even when reconnecting the pump straight away it should be perhaps 5psi down on the previous reading

nuke

perhaps 5psi down on the previous reading

Yes for the + chamber, not for the – chamber IME. I've 3 sets of RS forks: 1 pike, 2 revs…they are all around the same. Might be the pump (Wrenchforce) however, it doesnt matter as I consistently use the same pump so if it is wrong then I've compensated in its use to allow for this.

Zone
    Free Member

Not a normal amount of air to lose at all….

Magura no leak shock pump Can't recommend these pumps enough…

Zone

stumpy01

My Reba's are always down when I re-attach the pump and as said it's more on the -ve side, but I put it down to filling the pump. The chambers are pretty small, so when you add the pump you are adding a significant volume to what you started with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How often do you need to inflate air forks?’ is closed to new replies.