Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How often do you change your chain and cassette Yorkshire riders?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Reason im asking people in Yorkshire is due to the terrain and beautiful steep hills and rocky rooty singletracks.

Every 1000 miles sound about right?

martinhutch

Sounds about right, yes. Throw in a chainring too, sometimes!

davo
    Free Member

Get a chain checker! And keep an eye on it, as much to do with what bike you ride how rough you are on the gears and how much you weigh, rather the being from yorkshire! My last chain lasted 660 miles.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Get a chain checker! And keep an eye on it, as much to do with what bike you ride how rough you are on the gears and how much you weigh, rather the being from yorkshire! My last chain lasted 660 miles

It was the only relative thing I could think of at the time of posting 🙂

Yes, good thinking batman. I will get a checker.

davo
    Free Member

One other thing, I always used sram chains because of the easy fitting with the power link, every sram chain snapped at some point! since moving to shimano xt its never happened.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Had kmc last time and just put on a xt but its skipping about on the smallest sprocket …so now new cassette 🙁

Simon

Or put the old chain back on and run the drivetrain to death in stereotypical tight Yorkshireman style 🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

Plus one for Simons comment

Why change if it’s not jumping 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Because I **** the old one at Lee quarry last week. Tried fixing it of course but it was jumping about like a drunk adult on a trampoline.

Simon

Oh well new cassette time.

One way of extending drive train life is to run two chains in rotation.
    I did it with the last drivetrain that I put on my full suss bike swapping chains every few rides to keep chain wear even.
    It’s lasted two years like that but then I forgot and the chain that’s on is past 1 on the chain checker now so it’s run it all into the ground time.
    No idea how many miles it’s lasted but last summer I was averaging 300 miles a month.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How often do you change your chain and cassette Yorkshire riders?’ is closed to new replies.