Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • How often do you change your chain?
  • andytherocketeer

because I felt like it. was not bad at all. just felt like it. have a stash of useable old ones and a stash of new ones.

KMC not a typo. sub 100 miles. if it had the decency to let me finish that ride, it would have been over 100 miles. brand new chain, brand new cassette, brand new chain rings too. and oddly there was even one comment on here when I mentioned it saying how badly I’d looked after the chain. 153km. 3 rides (well 2.5) of the equivalent of towpath and road. how much maintenance am I supposed to have done? complete strip down degrease and relube (twice) ?

sometimes theose low milage change of chains is immediately before a week in the Alps or somewhere. call it precautionary. easier to pop a new chain on at home than on the trail.

chored
    Free Member

Do people really change a chain under 1500 miles of use?

I just replaced a Shimano XT 10 speed chain after 938km of use, showing fully worn on my chain checker. 1000km is a pretty normal life for one of my chains…

tomd
    Free Member

Yep, I normally get between 500-1000km before the shifting starts getting a bit iffy and chain suck becomes a problem.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Yep! As per those above, about 800 miles or so. When it’s buggered.

whitestone
    Free Member

Road bike was probably over 10,000Km when I changed it but it was well worn being over half a link in 12 longer!

Changed the chain on my hardtail at 1600km or so, was just on the 0.75% wear indication but sounded quite crunchy. That distance has included a lot of muddy miles.

Use a light lube very sparingly on my chains.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘How often do you change your chain?’ is closed to new replies.