Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How often do you change our bike ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Following on from the series of threads recently about the price of bikes, how many you have and how to pay for them etc..

How often do you change your bike? My newest bike is 6 years old and I can’t justify getting a new one yet as it works fine. However do I do the wrong thing by tending to run bikes in to the ground, would I be better keeping for 2-3 years and then selling on?

I have got 3 bikes. Which are all a bit battered but work perfectly well. However I have probably spent a few £100 pounds replacing chainsets etc.

Klein Attitude Hardtail – 1999
    Gary Fisher Cake II DLX FS – 2005
    Ribble Road Bike – 1995

Would any of the above be worth anything these days?

uplink
    Free Member

Well ………… I have the same bike as I had 4 years ago but it’s a bit like Trigger’s broom

The only original parts still on it are the frame & front hub

so I’m not sure if I’ve changed it or not

binners

Hora and Ton to the forum please. Repeat: HORA AND TON TO THE FORUM PLEASE

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Naaa, most of the value is ‘lost’ as soon as it’s not new, the klein might have soem retro value, can’t imagine the Cake has much, the road bike might if its steel.

Either:
    Run into the ground from new/sh depending on budget/preference
    Buy s/h and swap every so often (the Hora method)
    Buy new and accpet its an expensive passtime (the Ton method)

You could probably argue that a 3 year old bike thats been looked after is worth half its new price if the models still available. So maybe sell it then and buy another new one then your only loosing about the same assuming the value is negligable after 6 years.

I seem to do the opposite, buy s/h but good condition and run it into the ground, seems the cheepest way.

bullheart
    Free Member

Whoa!

You and I have a bike?!

When did this happen?! Why haven’t I ridden it? Are you looking after it?

yunki
    Free Member

triggers broom

5thElefant
    Free Member

New frame every 5 years so far. They’re trigger’s broom bikes too though.

My first frame is back in service as a training bike. Second frame is broken…

avdave2

A lot of people on here change them more frequently than I clean mine.

binners

Oh, its Thursday… must be new bike day

neil853
    Free Member

my ‘main’ bike every three years, my commuter every 18 months or so.

bri-72

3 replaced with buys off here in last 6 months. Must stop changing and just get riding.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you buy 2nd hand though dont you end up getting a bike with some thing wrong with it? Afterall why would some one sell unless a major part is wearing and will cost alot to replace, or they know they have given it a very hard life..

brassneck

Still on the same frame after 10 years. Bought a new road bike and commuter frame in that time, but they don’t really count do they?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Frame – say every 3 years – Bike never 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Buy one at a team rate, keep for a year, sell for what I paid/slight profit, repeat.

I’ve done that since 2006, works pretty well!

lowey

I have one bike and have had since 2004 when I bought it. Wont change until it breaks or I will the lotto.

uplink
    Free Member

Afterall why would some one sell unless a major part is wearing and will cost alot to replace, or they know they have given it a very hard life..

Judging by some of the posts here, the top tube effective length is just a mm or so too long for them or it’s a bit stiff on the back end at high speed or a million & one other imaginary issues

Drac

Depends how often I puncture.

ton

i used to change them when i fancied trying something else.
    a bit like a food menu thing, you dont want the same food for every meal.
    and if you can afford it………..why not?

but all of a sudden i got a liking for best fillet steak, and have been having it for quite a while now……….. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I changed my roadbike at Christmas cos I busted the old one.

My Yeti is 2006, I feel like I should want a new bike by now, but just don’t. It’s perfick.

Cove hardtail not much newer.

I guess I’ll change them when they bust.

xiphon
    Free Member

New frame when I fancy a change.

Don’t get out riding as much as I’d like, so the actual time spent on the bike is a fraction of actual bike ownership.

Ridden my 222 about 4 times in 12 months.

nuke

New frame when I fancy a change.

Yep, same here. Bought a couple of new FS frames in the last 6 months but it has been a while since that…can’t see me changing them though but never say never

My oldest just happens to be Klein Attitude 1999…

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

When they get nicked 🙁

I have bought a few new bikes over the years, but only to help me to do different things (ie FS, long travel FS, road bike). However I never sold the old ones. Partly because the new bikes were different and complimentary so the old ones were not superseded and partly because a second hand bike is worth much more to me as a bike than its second hand value in money terms.

If I buy a three grand bike and ride it for 5 years, it’s still a lovely three grand bike. If I sold it I’d get 500 quid for it which is rubbish as it’s still worth three grand to me.

a bit like a food menu thing, you dont want the same food for every meal.

That’s why I like to ride different TRAILS!

Changing your bike is like changing the plates or cutlery – let’s face it the sport is riding, not bike owning 🙂

trailertrash

If you buy 2nd hand though dont you end up getting a bike with some thing wrong with it? Afterall why would some one sell unless a major part is wearing and will cost alot to replace, or they know they have given it a very hard life.

Not really. Sometimes you just want to move with the times, try something new, more or less rad, and don’t have the space for perfectly good older bikes etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I cycle to work every day, the bus fare would be about £20 pw, I put that money in a ‘virtual tin’ and use it to fund bike purchases.
    So if I have a ‘cheap year’ for buying renewables (tyres/pads/chains etc) then the year after there’s usually enough to buy frame/forks/bling for a new build 😀

mildred

A lot of people on here change them more frequently than I clean mine.

So, lets get this straight – having to clean your bike is not a good reason to buy a new one?

I’m in the wrong sport!!

stumpy01

First ‘proper’ mountain bike – 2001 Stumpjumper fsr that I bought second hand in early 2002. It was virtually brand new – a couple had bought matching bikes to get some exercise in their retirement. Turns out one of them couldn’t ride for medical reasons so they sell the bikes back to Leisure Lakes in Daventry, where they got them from. I bought mine for £850. Think it was £1200 new and the original owners had upgraded the brakes to Julie’s (from standard vee brakes).

I had that until last year and I’d only changed bits when they were worn.

Replaced it with 2010 Stumpjumper and put the bits off the old one onto an Inbred frame. Had to buy a few bits too.

I’ll probably keep the new Stumpjumper for year and years, especially after Spesh warrantied the frame for defective paint & gave me a carbon one in it’s place…..
    Had the Camber been available when I was looking I probably would have got one of those.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How often do you change our bike ?’ is closed to new replies.