Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • How often do you bleed your brakes?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

The fluid is hygroscopic, but the systems are fully sealed, so no moisture to get in there assuming your brake system seals are good and the brakes were bled properly upon installation. Other than tat the fluid does not degrade with time or use, until such time sealing fails. No need to change fluid otherwise, you are just introducing opportunity for problems.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

In theory wobbliscott you are of course correct, but in reality I haven’t come across a ‘sealed’ DOT system yet that doesn’t need a fluid change after a few years.
    The fluid always goes cloudy (water ingest) & can cause corrosion issues in severe cases.

sircharles
    Free Member

hmmm every two weeks for me,as i think maintenance is highly important.

johnellison
    Free Member

Only ever had to bleed a set of old Hayes HFX 9s once because I accidentally popped a piston out. Took me 10 minutes because because a I did a “bottom-up” bleed by forcing fluid into the system at the caliper with a large syringe.

Never had to bleed any of my Avids, but then I don’t faff with them. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

breadcrumb

grum – Member

Bought my Pitch in 2008, never touched the Juicy 3s except for pads. Guess I’ve been lucky never known what it was like to have decent brakes so I don’t know what I’m missing

FTFY
    [/quote]

Haha, I have thought that but honestly I don’t ever feel I’ve been under braked. The wheels can be locked easily and I get plenty of feel from the levers.

somafunk

sircharles : get back under your bridge.

_tom_
    Free Member

FTFY

Dunno, I’ve had SLX brakes for a bit, my mates got XTs and I still prefer my Avid Elixirs (and preferred the Juicys before that). Think it’s mostly down to the lever design/shape than anything else though, plus the Shimanos seem to have a more on/off feel that I didn’t get on with as much.

Also had a Formula K18 for a while but didn’t get on with that much. Tiny pads that wear really quickly, and the lever was too chunky.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 2004 M4s. They were bled because I fitted braided hoses in 2007. They still stop like I’ve just ridden into a barn door.

Some brakes work very well, some don’t.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Load of bolloxs talked about brakes get real FFS

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How often do you bleed your brakes?’ is closed to new replies.