Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • how new is your 26 inch MTB ?
  • iainc

I was just pondering this reading What MTB yesterday. My current Soul, which was a custom build, is nearly 2 yrs old – I specced it up on Easter hols 2013. I haven’t changed a thing on it, spec wise, although have replaced worn out drivetrain recently (with exact same) and had to replace saddle a few months ago, for comfort reasons.

jam-bo

2012 bandit, although I’ve only just got it.

therevokid
    Free Member

2009 tinbred 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

20 months, saddle replaced (broke) and gone 2x to 1x.

Though if I’d waited 2 more months I’d have a 650b

verses

Broke my frame in summer 2013, warranty replacement was offered of 29 or 26, I took the 26. It had recently had new wheels and I didn’t want to throw away the depreciation money and couldn’t afford new forks at the time.

Since then I’ve upgraded the forks and see no reason to replace it. I’m happy to blame my lack of podium finishes on the rider rather than the wheel size 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

2014 456 evo II

robgclarkson
    Free Member

2014 yeti sb66c here… and it’s totes amazeballs

kcal

not new. 1995 & 1998 * 2 🙂

we were chatting about this on a ride the other week, as to whether a rider’s next bike would even remotely be a 26″. It hadn’t been in the frame, but more and more likely that yes, possibly..

wilko1999
    Free Member

2010 Blur LTc. Just fitted 160mm Pikes and offset bushings. Not planning on changing it any time soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

It hadn’t been in the frame, but more and more likely that yes, possibly.

What was the reasoning?

bartimaeus
    Free Member

2010 Giant Anthem, bought new at the start of 2010, and a 2010 GT Avalanche, bought 2nd hand at the start of 2012. Both still great fun, though if I had the money I’d be tempted to try a more modern trail bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2012 Saracen Kili Flyer 853
    2008 Specialized Pitch
    2015 Charge Cooker Maxi
    2007 On One Inbred 853. (Now a tourer)

700c is for road bikes. 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

giant reign x2 frame is a 2009 model but i only got it towards the end of last year
    the shock came with the frame
    the forks, chain, cassette, shifter, brakes, n/w ring, bars, seatpost, stem, grips are all brand new and 2013 or newer
    the cranks were brand new but they were some bargain OEM unit from merlin. i’m gonna guess that they’re a bit older
    the saddle is new to me but again is probably a few years old
    the old bits on the bike are the pedals, bashring, bar plugs and wheels. all of which are probably more than 10 years old

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I have an 8 year old Marin Team Titanium and a Pace RC300 but I can’t remember which year I bought it.

Rockplough
    Free Member

When I split and sold mine last year it (mostly) was 5 years old.

deviant
    Free Member

2013 Ragley Piglet-2
    2013 On-One 456-evo

Both great bikes and all the better for having ‘small’ wheels.

shifter
    Free Member

Brand new, haven’t ridden it yet. It is a 2013 model though.

sharkattack

2012 Specialized P1
    2013 YT Tues
    2014 Cotic Bfe

Not planning to buy a bike in the foreseeable future.

kcal

@molgrips – existing MTBs are full sus 29r and a hand-me-down 26″ hardtail, V brakes, singlespeed adapted.

Alternative thinking was 26″ hardtail. SS compatible, discs, for choosing around local woods, 2 – 3 hour rides, and a bit of variety set against existing (and not being disposed of) 29r.

My MTBs are both 26″, one rigid SS and one geared hardtail. TBH I may head in other direction and upgrade the geared HT to a 29r SS compatible – with discs..

shredder
    Free Member

End of 2014 Slackline.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

2012 Cotic Bfe – been running 1×10, about to change it to a Wolf tooth 1×11
    2014 Knolly Chilcotin – waiting to be built, just picked up the frame new

almightydutch
    Free Member

2009 SC Blur LT2…had a few changes over its life but it rides so well I see little point in getting rid.

Still 26″, still straight steerer, jesus I only went tubeless after a spate of punctures last autumn.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My last 26″ wheeled bike was built up in 2014 from a brand new unused 2013 Cove Stiffee Frame…..I have dabbled with one 29er but prefer riding 26″ overall. 😆

ian martin
    Free Member

Similar to the op, I have a Soul (although mine is 2012 I think). Can’t see me changing it whilst it’s working as it puts a big smile on my face as its so much fun to ride.
    I’ve never came home after a ride and thought my ride would have been so much better if I had bigger wheels but contradictory I like the idea of a half fat rigid.

euain

Mach 5.7 bought in July 2013 – so 20 months old or so.

No plans to replace it – though it’s status as my only mountain bike is going to change with the addition of a new 29″ hardtail (a Shand Bahookie that’s currently being painted).

iainc

ian martin – Member
    Similar to the op, I have a Soul (although mine is 2012 I think). Can’t see me changing it whilst it’s working as it puts a big smile on my face as its so much fun to ride.
    I’ve never came home after a ride and thought my ride would have been so much better if I had bigger wheels but contradictory I like the idea of a half fat rigid.

spooky – I have been thinking a load about the prototype Genesis 27.5+ last few weeks 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

2010 Zesty 514. still running og xt rims and mojo serviced front and rear suss, narrow headtube gives it’s age away, otherwise still awesome bike.

hairyscary

Frame and forks are less than a year old. I also have a back-up 26″ frame in the unlikely event I break a Nukeproof Mega.
    I’m gonna be 26″ for a while yet.

momo

2000 S-works HT – commuter/turbo bike
    2007 SC Blur 4X – frame purchased second hand 2013
    2013 Cotic BFe

cakefacesmallblock

2008 Giant Trance.

All that remains of the original full bike, are the frame, shock, cranks and , amazingly, one Avid Juicy 3.

This bike has been upgraded to something which has been just fantastic , for thrashing round the local hilly forest stuff and done plenty of bigger natural rides and trail centre stuff.

Mostly because I can, rather than need to, I will be replacing it with a 27.5 Trance in a few weeks .

I shall be bitterly disappointed , if the newer, slightly slacker , slightly longer travel bike doesn’t give me what my 26 er has.

Dickyboy

2004, 2007, 2010 hardtails 2013 full suss 2006 tandem, all 26″ but I am toying with the idea of a rigid 29er

stevied
    Free Member

2009 Intense 6.6

Been a complete “Trigger’s Broom” with 3 different forks, 2 different shocks, 3 sets of bars, 2 stems, 3 seat posts and various gear changes from 2 x 10 to 1 x 10 with 40T and RADr cage. Also had 3 different colours from raw to candy red and now yellow.
    It’s still an awesome bike that’s more capable than I am..

freeagent
    Free Member

MY09 Boardman hardtail bought new by me in May 2010.
    It is a bit ‘triggers broom’ as only the frame/seat post/rear mech/front mech/shifters remain.

Can’t justify a new MTB anytime soon as it doesn’t get ridden enough these days, and would cost well over £1000 to get something comparable/better.

mintimperial

2013 Soul (although the forks, wheels and most other bits are several years older)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM (new forks last year)
    1996 Marin Pine Mountain (about to restore to full original spec again)

They all still get ridden. I don’t have any other MTB wheel sizes, but am just about to build up a 29er for the first time.

devash
    Free Member

2012 Specialized Camber, purchased around this time in 2013.

I’m very happy with the bike and have no intention of replacing it until it breaks, although being a 6fter my next bike will no doubt be a 29er of some sort.

mcj78
    Free Member

2006 SC Chameleon I bought in 2008, ran that for a few years then I picked up a cheap 2006 Heckler frame & swapped all the bits over… then I slowly & stealthily re-built the Chameleon… then I decided that most of those new bits actually suited the Heckler better so swapped all the original bits back onto the Chameleon – everything’s interchangeable which is handy – rotors are the same size too so easy to swap wheels depending on tyre preference.

Also have an old 1998 Klein Mantra which I stripped & rebuilt a few years ago & has been lucky to see 20 miles of use since then, and that was on the road…

Simon

2011 Pitch
    2009? Mmmbop

No plans to change wheelsize until I really have to.

andeh

3 year old BFe, which is fine.

Will maybe go inbetweeny or 29 when I get round to buying a FS…..depending on how cool it is by then.

Northwind

Think mine are both 2010s, though I didn’t get the Ragley til I think 2013 as I had to wait for the depreciation 😆

stumpy01

Both 2010

Stumpjumper FSR to replace my old 2001 FSR.

Took the bits from the old FSR (along with a few new bits) and built up a Barry White Inbred.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘how new is your 26 inch MTB ?’ is closed to new replies.