Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How much would you charge for…(photo content)
  • donsimon
    Free Member

a royalty free photo for use in a catalogue? Or how would you go about the price setting?

Hopefully the photographers on here can help.

Thanks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

what do you mean by royalty free? exclusive use? or a specific media/territory/timespan?
    the getty or alamay sites should have a price guide.

you are better off issuing a license to use for a specific media and timescale if you can.

donsimon
    Free Member

Royalty free-one off payment, no royalties, pretty much unlimited printing. They want it for a printed catalogue so timespan not relevant except the photo will be out of date in 2011 as it's a 2010 race.
    Had a quick look on Getty and didn't see anything, had a look on Fotolia and got confused!!
    I'll have a look on alamay, thanks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

then why not just license the image for catalog use for 3 years? (and maybe add exclusivity for them). then the image is yours to sell or stick in a library after they have had exclusive use?
    it sounds like you or they don't understand how licensing works so they ask for "royalty free" or "we want copyright" when they actually need neither.

if it was my image i would give them 2 prices. a silly high one for unlimited exclusive worldwide use and then a second one for what they actually need. i.e uk/europe catalog/pr use for 3 years (or whatever you think they need) they will soon see the sense in not paying for something they don't need.

a bit more info available here
    http://beyond-the-lens.the-aop.org/

the NUJ may have some info too.

CountZero

Used to be somewhere between £250-450 but rates have probably gone up in recent years.

donsimon
    Free Member

it sounds like you or they don't understand how licensing works

That'll be me then! Which is why I'm asking. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How much would you charge for…(photo content)’ is closed to new replies.