Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How much would the going rate for BMX tutoring be?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve ran a school BMX club at the local skatepark for about a year now and it’s got quite successful. I’ve been asked by the council to expand it for other schools in the area.

The bonus is there’s finance support available to pay me for my time and i’ve basically been asked how much i’d like paying!

So what do you reckon?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

£30-50/hour

as you will need insurance and a CRB check

swisstony
    Free Member

that’s a bit more than i thought, I’m a teacher so i’ve got my CRB and i’m going to leave the insurance up to them.

gusamc
    Free Member

I’m torn between two answers:
    – screw the useless public sector tossers for as much as you can (and expenses – e.g. second home)
    – do it for free as it’s a club (and one of the reasons we’re in the shoite is that the public sector have very little concept of getting vfm – hopefully they don’t use the same costing approach on building projects….)

Points about insurance and CRB very valid.

A previous post on here was I believe #10 ph for cycling proficency.

Ps It’s a sarky answer as where I live I used to play to play open to all hockey (and as lots of nippers turned up some of us started coaching for 15 mins of the hour). We had constantly had money probs (as we had to cover hire of an astro pitch – at commercial rates plus floodlights in winter) so even the nippers had to pay #2 (which is a lot to some kids).

swisstony
    Free Member

ta, i’m not into screwing them really, i run the school club for free in my spare time on a friday after school (which i started as an excuse for me, an old man! to ride the park) but as this will involve more time and paperwork hassle, I was thinking of £20 to £30.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

personally i would say that you need to contact someone like BC about this

IIRC they don’t have a L2 BMX course yet but I could be wrong, you might be able to get away with some stuff under the generic L2 qualification (and there is one for teachers)

get the school then to pay for the course, your silver membership of BC and then charge a lower hourly rate

that way you are covered for insurance, can produce a risk assessment and have something to “structure” what you do

otherwise I can see issues due to you coaching unqualified and potentially without risk assessment etc should there be a serious accident.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/3187173.Motocross_rider_fell_to_his_death_at_Whitworth_quarry/

leggyblonde
    Free Member

My sister does something similar with portable ramps:

link

She is a CI trainer so imagine charges the councils £20 something an hour. Email her via her site, I’m sure she’d be happy to advise.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks,

i’ll definately get in touch with BC

ta

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Level 2 BMX coaching course about to be launched

swisstony
    Free Member

Yes i’ve seen that on BC’s website, i’ve emailed them for some general help and advice, waiting for a reply.

I’m going to visit that school in Rotherham that’s also on the BC site.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How much would the going rate for BMX tutoring be?’ is closed to new replies.