Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How much would I need to earn at the 40% tax rate to make little difference…..
  • swisstony
    Free Member

In my take home pay if I drop down to 4 days and back to standard rate tax

If you know what I mean?

Ta

curvature
    Free Member

Surely it depends on what you earn now?

druidh
    Free Member

Remember – you only pay 40% on the amount above £42k pa.

swisstony
    Free Member

Thanks, yeah I know you only pay over £42k ish but there must be a point where the 40% tax you pay makes it comparable with dropping a day and back down.

It may not work but someone mentioned it today and it got me thinking

mrmo
    Free Member

how can you earn less? work 4 days get paid 40K, work 5 days get paid 50k.

The first 4 days you pay 20% in tax and on the 5th day you pay 40% tax, you still take home more money.

druidh
    Free Member

swisstony – Member
    It may not work but someone mentioned it today and it got me thinking

Not hard enough it would appear.

jam-bo

For me, Im dropping a day when my wife goes back to work in September. One day less commuting and retaining child benefit makes it well worth it.

swisstony
    Free Member

Haha, ok so I’m not much of a mathematician but I liked the idea of working 4 days.

Oh well back to doing the lottery

nickdavies

Bear in mind that you have about 8K tax free, and 12%NIC below 42K and 2% over it and have some cost to actually get to the office (probably). If you use the 50K salary as an example, you will easily end up with less than 1/2 of what you earned in that extra day in your pocket.

You’re still better off – but work/life balance and all that, obviously every circumstance is different but I think the choice of an extra day off each week rather than going to work for essentially a 50% pay cut would be very appealing!

You could however be financially better off by dropping back to 20% tax if you have perks with your job – i.e. a company car/health insurance etc. A decent BMW or Audi @ 40% tax could cost an extra 2-3K a year in tax over 20% which wouldn’t leave much change from that extra day…. and if you had free fuel that would be an extra £700 ish in tax!

highclimber
    Free Member

is this some kind of conceited thread to let us know you are a 40% tax payer thus earn way over the 26k UK average?

nwilko
    Free Member

quite how anyone would pay you over 40k when your stumped by the maths is puzzling..

Dibbs
    Free Member

My salary is such that any overtime (always double time) is taxed at 40% and with NI it means I’m near enough working for single time, ho hum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Click here and get a proper answer

There are loads of these calculators about

As stupid as the initial question may seem, there is probably a very fine line where if you have kids, losing Child Benefit, as well as Working Tax Credits at a certain threshold will marginally make a very few 20% taxpayers better off than a very few 40% taxpayers.

CBA to do the maths and see if this makes any noticeable difference though.

I was scratching my head over the BIK’s as mentioned above earlier, but due to having a head cold and a few JD’s, I CBA to work that out either.

DrP

You will never earn less, but there will be a point where you don’t earn a great deal more…

The real sting is the massive tax on any pay between 105 – 115I (something like 80%) tax on that band of income!

DrP

takisawa2

I wasn’t going to say it but…

quite how anyone would pay you over 40k when your stumped by the maths is puzzling..

+1

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

I wasn’t going to say it but…

+1
    Train drivers don’t need maths when they’ve got a union.

What has the OP’s mathematical skills got to do with his capability to command a decent salary?

chewkw
    Free Member

D’oh! I don’t earn enough … 😡

ourmaninthenorth

I’d rathe do the similar maths of how much more I’d need to earn to receive the same as I do now for four days a week.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

D’oh! I don’t earn enough … 😡

That’s what I like to see …… a man who regrets not being able to pay more in taxes.

In my opinion there aren’t enough people with that sort of attitude.

toby1

People in glass houses; you’re not your!

njee20
    Free Member

People in glass houses; you’re not your!

+1

Basic grasp of English is more important than maths in most roles. Huge black mark against any potential employees for me there!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

why not see if you can do 4×9 hr days?

samuri
    Free Member

Obviously some people get paid for knowing something other than maths.

It bothers me a great deal that I work with so many people who lack even the most fundamental analytical skills who get placed into very powerful and influencial roles. Non-executive directors are a great example. I wouldn’t trust half of them to tie their own shoelaces properly. I am 100% confident a fair proportion of the ones I meet have help with getting dressed. But they’re really good at talking, which is an important skill I guess.

mrmo
    Free Member

It bothers me a great deal that I work with so many people who lack even the most fundamental analytical skills who get placed into very powerful and influencial roles. Non-executive directors are a great example. I wouldn’t trust half of them to tie their own shoelaces properly. I am 100% confident a fair proportion of the ones I meet have help with getting dressed. But they’re really good at talking, which is an important skill I guess.

This is a problem i have with a lot of managers, they have come through sales, they know how to sell something, but they often fail to understand things have to be made, that not everything is possible, etc.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Remember – you only pay 40% on the amount above £42k pa.

35k now … plus the tax free allowance.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm#2

druidh
    Free Member

£35k PLUS your tax-free allowance!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How much would I need to earn at the 40% tax rate to make little difference…..’ is closed to new replies.