Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much weight can kitchen cabinets take?
  • Kryton57

New Kitchen, 800mm cabinet fixture amount to 4×1.5 inch screws into brickwork and Mrs K is busy loading all three shelves with mugs. I’m paranoid nervous.

I’ve read something somewhere that there’s a “leverage(?)” consideration due to the cupboard pushing itself agains the wall at the bottom, but er, eh?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

One and a half inch screws? You’re having a larf?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Stocking up on pudding ?

project
    Free Member

I would use 1 3/4 screws, with batton under cubboard and one above securely fixed to wall and screwd up and down into battons.

Rememebr a cabinet is only chipboard, a material as strong as a toffee crisp chocolate bar.

Mrs K is busy loading all three shelves with mugs.

Remember always face the mug handles inwards, mugs placed upside down, so as not to overweigh the front of cabinet and not to store trapped air in an empty mug,red mugs are always heavier so place at front

footflaps

A lot, plates are heavier than cups and you can fill a wall cupboard with plates.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Rememebr a cabinet is only chipboard, a material as strong as a toffee crisp chocolate bar.

TBF a lot depends what method of fixing is used. If it’s this :

Then that provides fairly solid support. Although I would still consider 1.5 inch screws undersized.

footflaps

Kitchen cabinets are pretty strong, even though they’re made of chipboard, I can stand on one and it won’t collapse so that’s 85kg…

footflaps

140 kg and no noticeable bowing or deflection in the cabinet.

Sheer strength of a single screw is about 500kg IIRC, so they won’t easily give (plus you have 6 holding it up).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Je6RK2]Untitled[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

cp

The kitchen I just took out had 2 tiny screws per cabinet just screwed into the plaster with dinky rawl plugs. They held a lot of weight.

Nevertheless, the new cabinets that I put up were hung on a rail, the rail held to the wall with huge screws plugged right through into the brickwork!

The cabinets themselves are rock solid though.

Kryton57

My cabinets are solid – german – alright. I didn’t see the fixings as the went up, I did see holes made by the installer so I assume they are screws and rawl plugs.

I just worry about the whole lot coming down…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t see the fixings as the went up, I did see holes made by the installer so I assume they are screws and rawl plugs.

So why do you think the kitchen fitter used 1.5 inch screws ?

And why don’t you trust the kitchen fitter to have done a proper job ?

footflaps

Think I used something like six 5x75mm for each wall cupboard, but it’s an old house, so there is 1″ of horse hair plaster which can barely hold it’s own weight….

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I fit kitchens for a living and generally fix the brackets to the walls using 5x60mm fixings minimum, 2 per side plus a further 2 at the bottom rail.

Those little brackets are rated to something like 80kg’s each assuming proper anchorage.

I’ve only ever seen 1 cupboard (properly fixed) slip it’s fixings, a little old dear who had a 600mm cupboard full with tins of beans, and when I say full, I do mean FULL!

project
    Free Member

The picture above shows weights added to the top of a floor standing cupboard eg a base unit, the forces in a wall hung cabinet are different, the top and bottom are held to the sides by just 4 screws and the whole lot is then hung on some thin steel brackets supported by being held with a hook each side screws using 5/8 inch screws into the sides of the cabinet.

benp1

Ours are full of plates and crockery, heavy stuff. Holding up just fine!

They’ve been removed and refitted in a different position too and are still fine

From Magnet if that makes any difference

footflaps

The picture above shows weights added to the top of a floor standing cupboard eg a base unit, the forces in a wall hung cabinet are different, the top and bottom are held to the sides by just 4 screws and the whole lot is then hung on some thin steel brackets supported by being held with a hook each side screws using 5/8 inch screws into the sides of the cabinet.

Agreed, I wasn’t going to hang it just to load with weights. * But a few posts up there were saying they’re really weak being made from chip board, whereas the carcass is rock solid and very hard to deform.

* Although if I’m really bored this WE I might fix it to the back of the workshop and see what it can take, I must have over 300kg of plates / kettle bells kicking around….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much weight can kitchen cabinets take?’ is closed to new replies.