Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How much to paint frame and fork?
  • lee170
    Free Member

Anyone have any idea how much it is roughly to paint a frame and rigid fork?
    Medium sized mtb.
    I’m thinking of buying an old mtb frame and a rigid fork to build
    Up into a single speed.
    Cheers

globalti
    Free Member

The bloke at Atlantic Boulevard in Bury (Neil?) told me around £250 for a complete strip-down, prime, undercoat and re-finish to factory standard with decals about £50 extra, so I expect you could do it for less with just a rub down and repaint.

lee170
    Free Member

Bloody hell, it’ll be charger to buy a new frame.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I need to get back into painting bikes ! .. we used to charge £60 plus £12 for decals!! … it was early 90`s though , but ive no idea why it would cost you £250 .. thats extortionate , most good powder coaters will do it for around the £40-60 mark
    Look somewhere like bob jacksons for £100 or argos cycles at £150 … both alot cheaper than above !

cookeaa

I’ll do it for £50, brush applied black hammerite do you OK?

sandboy

Phone your local powder coaters and ask them. They may have limited colours but if you want black, it will be cheaper because they can do your frame at the same time as other common items. I recently had a frame, forks, stem and cranks painted for £40.

Simon

Just had my Ragley stripped and powder coated by TripleS in Bingley (West Yorks) and it cost £96. They did a good job, finish is great and it built up easily because they masked off all the threads etc.

Northwind

Triple S are really good, and not even that much more expensive than a lower quality job (I reckon, when much of your non-industry market is large and demanding motorbikerists, it focuses the mind)

I got mine done by a local place, it was £40 and rubbish (well, it was free because I refused to pay. But it was supposed to be £40) Course, there are local places that will do a good job- Hendersons certainly had the capacity, they just couldn’t be bothered.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for Triple S.

Simon

Luckily for me I’m in the same town as Triple S.

chorlton
    Free Member

Fancy having my Soul powder coated. Triple S look like a good firm. Can’t see a list of colours on the website though. Is it best to go over and see them?

ads678

Bob Jackons in Leeds charges about £100 for a frame.

Midas touch in casvegas said they would powder coat a frame for about £50, and I would expect a decent job from them, as they are usually very good.

Check the ral colour chart and see if they can get what ever colour you want. I keep thinking of getting my blue pig done in sulphur yellow.

tang
    Free Member

250 got me full frame, fork, bars, stem, seat post all in custom fade plus painted decals inc stencil cutting. This was for a show bike.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Tang who did yours?

tang
    Free Member

Check @doktorbobby on Instagram to see his work, amazing. Does lots for custom builders. Can mail you a contact if need be.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Ta.

spev

I had mine done at triple s , superb job. Email them and they will send you a colour chart/photo (or email me spev11 at gmail.com and i’ll pass the chart on to you)

seadog101

That’s way more than most. £80-£100 seems a more reasonable figure. Decal are easy to do yourself too.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Steve peat posted a nomad that has just been custom painted on his Instagram account, by some guy down south. Looked exceptionally good. He started at £150 for basic 2 colour paint job

radar
    Free Member

There is a comprehensive thread on powder coaters (prices and recommendations/avoids) over on retrobike. In the mtb pre 97 chat forum. Powdercoating seems sensible money, paint is in the “I can buy a new frame for that much” category for a good job. Atlantic Boulevard are good, Argos (Bristol) are too and similarly priced.

If an aluminium frame you could also go the anodised route for about the same amount as a powdercoat.

plus-one

Don’t forget to check out any local car body repair shops ..(smaller independent ones) I was quoted £100 for a frame/fork and they guys can do nice paint jobs 🙂

tang
    Free Member

Yes pricey, but 3 colour fade on all parts plus decal painted with splatter fade. More ours than a standard job.

m0rk
    Free Member

Down south

Cheap, but recognise it’s a bike! Decent finish too http://www.solentpowderfinishers.co.uk/bikes-home/bike-frames/

Not cheap, but amazing http://www.fatcreations.com/

tmb467
    Free Member

Triple S for proper finish

CAS coatings in Eccleshill for cheap and cheerful – you’ll need to tidy it up yourself but it’s only £30

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How much to paint frame and fork?’ is closed to new replies.