Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How much to finish off a house?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Im just curious really to gauge how much it'd cost to sort a house out that is fully standing with a roof on but it has no windows and no first passes ect.

for a 4 bedroom house do I need 40k or do I need more?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesnt that depend on whether you want it to be a nice little rustic cottage or a modern show-home with architectural lighting and full home automation?

alexxx
    Free Member

Sorry I just want a rough idea of a standard turn over level and I can compute the materialistic gubbins myself 😀

Resin42
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string? It's a potential money pit. Only a full survey of the individual property will give you the vaguest idea what you're looking at.

fisha
    Free Member

typical build from ground up is very very very roughly £1000 per sq meter to a finished level. I'd reckon on about anything between £300 to £500 of that being getting the build to a shelled level ( water tight, walls roofs, windows )

I'd guestimate at about £300/sqm to get fittings and plastering. The rest you can do yourself to save money ( decorating )

If you can do stuff yourself, it can save a lot of money, but often takes a lot longer.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Is it a new house or one that's already been gutted or set on fire?.
    Where in the country are you? Up here near manchester, 40k will get you a fairly high standard of finish.
    I've just finished a 2 bed terrace, gutted back to brick thoughout, already had a small kitchen extention with a shower at the back.
    Did damp course, re-render, new kite winder staircase, re-wire, new central heating, new bathroom built upstairs, fully boarded out and skimmed, all new ceilings, new skirts, archs and doors throughout, new kitchen the full size of the extension, fully decorated. New upvc front door and kitchen window. All done to a good standard, took me 3 months on my own, cost 14k

alexxx
    Free Member

I've basically got a year spare and think I can get a loan for the cash to work on it.

Its a new build just not been touched for 4 years, wouldnt mind getting my teeth into it, bit kevin mccloud inspired

thanks for the infos

Stoner
    Free Member

Based on my budget for my self build (we've got about another 6-8 weeks work to do) Id say something like:

Total build cost (excluding roof – this is a barn conversion) is coming in at about £80 per square foot
    Fabric of building £29psf
    Windows & doors £7psf (we have lots of glass & french doors and some bling windows too)
    Fit out (Kitchen (Ikea), bathrooms (Trade), sparks, flooring (£5psf average of 1,500sqft carpet and 1,500sqft Limestone quarry tiles) and decorating) £30psf
    Heating system £4.50 psf
    Misc & Contingency £8psf

HTH

takisawa2

My mate built his own. Given your description he reckons £50-60k. His very large 4-bed shell cost £20k to get to where yours is, another £60k to finish to good std. Ex: boarding & skimming was £6-7k, electrics £2k, heating & water £3k, fitted his own bathrooms (has 3 IIRC). Reckons major costs & hassle are getting services in, gas & electric connection very very expensive. Depends how much you can do yourself I guess.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Reckons major costs & hassle are getting services in, gas & electric connection very very expensive.

IIRC, Stoner may be able to provide some advice in this area as well…. 😉

alexxx
    Free Member

services are in! sorry forgot to mention that, and yes i remember it being a ballache! most of the outside is dashed also, windows in it'd be water tight and freezing 😀 I'll do some maths from your kind peoples experiences thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

bb – my connection was surprisingly inexpensive for some reason? 😉

fwb2006
    Free Member

Stoner, how have you found the ikea kitchen? Have you installed fancy worktops ontop of the standard carcasses for a pro look? Got any picures please? I'm stuck in the middle of exactly this at the moment. Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

The Ikea kitchen we're going for is the same as the one I put in my current house (Stat doors). I might have a pic of it some where, let be go look.

I like using the Oak Numerar worktops from Ikea – good value of money and very stable worktops. DONT use Ikea "oil" on them though – it's water soluble. 5 or 6 coats of danish oil gives a great durable finish.

Dogbones for butt joining the tops together. Rout out for drop in basin.

Im behind a firewall at the moment, but I think the picture of my existing kitchen on the sale particulars is:

http://picasaweb.google.com/northmalvern/5474526328128074513/5474527101106315954

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How much to finish off a house?’ is closed to new replies.