Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much to…..?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Mate of mine bought a new bike, second hand, ex-hire which came with a set of deore brakes. He decided to sell his old bike, which had a set of SLX.
    He wanted to swap the brakes over so he could keep the SLX.

he took both full bikes to the bike shop and explained what he wanted done and they quoted him £X. When he returned to pick up the bikes the bill was £Y

Solve for X & Y, show your working if you like.

NB – both bikes similar sizes, both full suss, one has the rear brake hose routed through the swingarm.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

1-4 of the brakes needed a bleed which wasn’t included in the original price perhaps

benpinnick

X = £15
    Y = £50 because they needed a new rear hose and had to bleed both.

sandwicheater

X = £40
    Y = £50 and he had to do something he doesn’t want to talk about.

soobalias
    Free Member

£50 quoted
    £163 billed. one rear brake pulls to the bars and was returned with the advice that it might be ok with new pads. one rear hose routed through the fork.

no new parts.

i nearly spat my beer when i heard the quote.

benpinnick

WTF?

one rear hose routed through the fork.

Extra WTF with bits on it.

scruff9252

If it was just a straightforward swap over, why involve a bike shop for something they could do in less than an hour over a cup of tea?

Or did your friend take into shop for a “straightforward swap” knowing it wasn’t quite as easy as that due to bolts had been rounded/hoses damaged/too short which may not have been immediately apparent to the bike shop and as such not part of original quote?

jairaj

I was never super good at Maths but I think the answer is; Peter’s train arrives at 13.45.

As above there could have been a few unexpected extras they had to do. Whenever I need work done on the bike I always expect little extra might be charged. But I would hope if it was more than £10/£15 above the estimate the shop would contact me to check it was OK for them to continue.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

if it’s a balls up he doesn’t have to pay anything shirley?

soobalias
    Free Member

why involve a bike shop for something they could do in less than an hour over a cup of tea?

he is not bike mechanically inclined
    he ‘knew’ it wasnt straight forward as two hoses would need ‘undoing’

gonzy
    Free Member

they have got to be trying it on with him…
    ask the shop for a breakdown of how they have come to such a high cost…
    my LBS charges about £15 for a bleed, i’d imagine a new hose and fittings would cost about the same or there about.
    if i was having both done i would expect to pay about £30 per brake…
    even if this shop had done this for all 3 brakes thats still around £120…so what did the other £40 go on?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much to…..?’ is closed to new replies.