Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much time to walk from Manchester Piccadilly – Victoria Station.
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Been googling how long it takes to walk to factor it into a possible commute if I was to live south east of Manchester and get out to Eccles via train and can’t find a sensible answer.

I walk fast too! Ta.

Drac
    highclimber
    Free Member

It’s a brisk 15min or 20 min stroll or 5 mins (max) on a bike.

binners

You’d have to do it on all fours for it to take 20 minutes! There are trams and a free shuttle bus between the stations if you’re pushed for time, or don’t fancy running the gauntlet of Market Street Chuggers.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll call it 15

unovolo
    Free Member

Hire a Brompton at Piccadilly at have a quick blat down.

highclimber
    Free Member

You’d have to do it on all fours for it to take 20 minutes!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsU6GuMz08[/video]

MartynS

The tram to media city goes from Piccadilly, then goes on to Eccles. (Well some do!!)
    Is I’ve mentioned I don’t use them very often as they are crushingly awful and expensive
    Oh just re-read your op.. Your looking at getting the train from Victoria..
    Are you actually working in Eccles, or the quays, not sure how close Eccles station is, you might have a bit of a stroll at the other end to!

Bregante

If you’re going to Eccles I’d go by the longest possible route.

You’ll want to delay actually arriving there for as long as humanly possible.

And MartynS is correct. Tram stops in Eccles town centre, by the bus station.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Well yes… Eccles doesn’t look all that nice but work is a 10min walk from there – right near the canal. Not media city unfortunately as that’d be a bit easier.

Cheers MartnS – seeing if it’s worth the commute from areas S.E of city into Piccadilly via train, walk to Victoria then train out to Eccles (only 7 mins).

Probably be easier to live north but as the trains from some areas north go to Victoria where there’s a 20 odd minute wait for the one to Eccles, may as well consider south east too if the times line up, the journey could be much of a muchness north or south.

edhornby

Er bike commuting

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Almost all the walk near Eccles is along the busy main roads, is it that sketchy closer to the train st when working late etc? Do I need to sharpen a compass?

highclimber
    Free Member

If you do commute, use a hack bike. Don’t be using your £2k carbon sportive bike, or anything that looks remotely nickable – My mate got his bike stolen while actually riding it through Salford (Eccles’ slightly less rough partner town!)

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, yeah I wouldn’t ride anything fancy about.

project
    Free Member

I believe trams , trains and the m60 go through eccles , so absolutely no need to stop there.

Bregante

tbh mate I commuted daily in the opposite direction through Eccles, along the New Road through Weaste, as far as Pendleton. There’s no denying its a shithole (worked there for the last 10 years and know it better than most) and having said that I have never had so much as the suggestion of a threat despite riding some decent bikes on occasion. Its a pretty grim commute though made worse by the constant presence of trams whizzing past your ears. Secure bike storage would be a must though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much time to walk from Manchester Piccadilly – Victoria Station.’ is closed to new replies.