Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • How much stuff do you return from online purchasing?
  • vinnyeh

Just sat here looking at a pile of stuff to return- 2 helmets, 4 pair of shoes and sandals, a jacket, a couple of t-shirts and a hoody. Took a couple of other parcels to the collect plus store at the end of last week as well. Not all my stuff either- wife’s and children’s.

I’ve only just learnt the real benefit of online buying- the ease of maxing out an order- not quite sure of the size that’ll fit- order another couple, up and down. Can’t quite work out what colour or style you’ll like best- order them all! Its simple! Just return (most times for free) what you don’t need (well, it’s “want”, really). Twelve months to return for a lot of places now.

Interestingly (or not) I had a quick look at Cotswold’s returns policy and noticed this:

The Distance Selling Regulations allow climbing equipment and helmets bought online to be returned within 14 days. For the safety of our customers, we will need to destroy any climbing equipment and all helmets (including ski) that are returned to us for refund or exchange. If in doubt please Contact Us before you make your purchase. This does not affect your statutory rights.

That’s a fair cross to bear- I wouldn’t be allowing online purchases of stuff like that if I were them. I can’t find anything on Cycle Surgery’s site (same group) suggesting they follow the same policy- wonder why the difference?

Cougar

I had a quick look at Cotswold’s returns policy and noticed this:

On a point of pedantry there’s no such thing as the Distance Selling Regulations (and hasn’t been for about three years), they need to update their website. It’s the Consumer Contracts Regulations now.

Oh, and it’s not clear there, but the 14-day return window starts from when you receive the goods, not when you buy them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve never returned anything I bought online.

I tend to use online stores for stuff that I’m sure I want. Anything that needs to be tried on for fit or style such as shoes or helmets I’ll find a high street shop for.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I tend to use online stores for stuff that I’m sure I want. Anything that needs to be tried on for fit or style such as shoes or helmets I’ll find a high street shop for.

This.

scotroutes

Also this

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I shop online of I know what I want, can’t bothered waiting for stuff to arrive, repacking it and returning while missing a chunk of cash. Quicker and easier to go to the shops.

ThePinkster

Only ever returned 1 thing and that was because it was faulty. Otherwise, what muppetWrangler said.

If I needed to by something in 3 sizes at the same time to make sure I got one that fitted every time I bought something I don’t think my bank balance would hold out for very long.

Drac

Very rarely return stuff unless it’s not as described or faulty, I’m 44 so I’ve an idea what will fit.

vinnyeh

Anything that needs to be tried on for fit or style such as shoes or helmets I’ll find a high street shop for.

Doesn’t that limit you to the stuff that’s stocked by stores close by?
    For bikes, to cite a relevant example for me, none of the stores close by are willing to get a selection of relatively expensive FF helmets in a selection of sizes, for me to try on for fit….

SaxonRider

I can hardly remember a time when I returned something bought online. I bought a cycling jacket from Stolen Goat once that was nothing like what I expected, so returned that. But basically, I hate returning stuff, so do my best to buy only the things I will definitely need or be able to use.

simon_g

Wife buys plenty of stuff from Achica, Zulily and the like which turns up not quite how she expected and goes straight back.

I think last item I returned was Shimano winter boots that I incorrectly guessed the size for – couldn’t find them in a local shop to try on, and they were different to the summer shoes.

Have never ordered multiples of something with the intention of sending the unneeded ones back.

tomhoward

…then buy online now you are sure, cos it’s cheaper?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can try the bell super, giro switchblade, new fox on in all sizes in town, for something like a tld d3 the shop could order it and return to the supplier at no cost, shoes were the same.

For the more expensive things I try as I go so I know what fits. I worked out in was a not a tld shaped head a few years back.

Online shopping creates a catch 22 with stocks.

Daffy

My sister in law has been banned from ordering online by Next for the exact reasons that you define as

the real benefit of online buying-

simondbarnes

I’ve never returned something that I’ve bought online.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Compared to the wealth of options available on line, yes it can. But that doesn’t really bother me too much. I do a lot of shopping online, most of the mundane stuff gets delivered so when I want something particular I’m willing to travel a bit to find it. Might mean going to a few shops to get the range of options but that’s ok for me as it happens infrequently enough to be enjoyable.

If that’s really not an option and online is the only way then I’ll heavily research the purchase before making a final decision to buy.

jekkyl

Returning things is much better these days, you don’t even have to leave the house. Last week my wife order an infant sleeping bag on monday from Amazon, we’re prime members so it came the next day. It was the wrong size so she did the return thing online and a bloke called at the door the same day!! to collect it and it was refunded the following day. Outstanding service. Who needs high streets?!

Yak

Only faulty/incorrectly sent stuff goes back. Stuff that needs trying on/out gets bought at the place I try it on.

hooli

I do return the odd thing, but I have to admit that I am very lazy when it comes to doing it.

I have a package sitting on the end of my desk and another in the car waiting to be dropped off, I blame CRC and their 365 day return policy.

Drac

My sister in law has been banned from ordering online by Next for the exact reasons that you define as

That’s impressive given my wife returns a huge proportion of the stuff she buys from Next.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Not too much. I always order 2 sizes of helmet, kneepads etc as Im between sizes so like to try it on for best fit.
    The local shops never have what I want.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That’s impressive given my wife returns a huge proportion of the stuff she buys from Next.

And a bit rich coming from NEXT. My wife worked there and most of the clothing is like snowflakes regarding sizing, you’ll never find 2 the same.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Spent ages looking in bike shops for body armour without any ever having good stock to try. Ordered 3 or 4 different types in multiple sizes to try from CRC in the end.

I know what size I am but that doesn’t mean clothes will fit – manufacturers clothing sizing varies a lot.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything I’ve returned that was bought online. However my online purchasing isn’t prolific and it’s stuff that doesn’t involve sizing. I bought a litter picking stick and a jigsaw last month.

fasthaggis

I’ve never returned anything I bought online.

^^ This,and to be honest,I don’t like the idea of adding to the hundreds of vehicles already on the roads,returning all those multiple goods that were bought on a whim.

chakaping
    Free Member

5-10% probably.

Edukator
    Free Member

Reasons for return:

Bike didn’t ride straight and when viewed form the front, the front and rear wheel weren’t in line.

Wrong hub. I ordered 32 hole, they sent 36.

Wrong chainset, the chainset in the box was not the one it said on the box

One pair of ski boots, I wasn’t sure about size and it was the retailler that said “buy both then send the ones you don’t need back”. I’d have bought locally but the nearest shop that stocked them was 800km away in the Alpes.

wrightyson
    Free Member

600 quids worth of waterproof coats back to blacks on saturday. I never realised i was a medium till they were all delivered, however it enabled me to choose the one I liked and reorder in medium 😳
    The man in the shop was ever so happy to see me…

winston
    Free Member

Rarely return anything…..but then I work in retail at the moment and can see how much of a pain returned goods are. Interestingly our kayak helmets are certainly not destroyed if returned unused.

Occasionally I’ll get a size wrong and need to send back but only by accident.

My wife on the other hand will order a dress in 3 colours and send back the 2 she doesn’t like…..

outofbreath
    Free Member

Wrong hub. I ordered 32 hole, they sent 36.

12% out? You were being a bit picky there.

tomhoward

12% out? You were being a bit picky there.

Plus, he got 4 more than he asked for, gratis. Ungrateful sod.

njee20
    Free Member

More holes would be lighter too!

I’ve returned a handful of things for being totally different to my expectations or faulty, but definitely CBA with ordering loads of stuff to return most of it!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Got a Sonos Play 1 on the “100 days return for any reason” thingy which just finished, it’s going back, it’s crap. Looking for something to replace it with.

Kuco

I’v sent stuff back, usually cycling shirts. One manufactures size large could be another’s xl or even medium and even the same manufacture sizing can alter slightly from one year to the next.

Was even advised by Chainreation once to order both sizes of an item and return the one I don’t fit back. Never felt guilty about sending stuff back.

prawny

Loads.

These days probably getting on for half of what I order. Don’t chance to go to my local bike shops, in town on my lunch break I’ve got a choice of Evans, Cycle Surgery or Cycle Republic so not the greatest selection and prices aren’t amazing so I tend to get everything from CRC or wiggle and end up not being keen in real life or it fits weird.

I feel a bit guilty sometimes and buy stuff I don’t need from the collect+ guy because I only go into his shop to return stuff.

Drac

100 days return for any reason” thingy which just finished, it’s going back,

Ermmmm!

Cougar

My wife on the other hand will order a dress in 3 colours and send back the 2 she doesn’t like…..

Mine does that, only then decides she likes them all…

Northwind

I feel like a reasonable rule is, don’t buy anything you don’t intend to keep. But if it turns up and I decide it’s not right for me it goes back. Doesn’t really happen that often though

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nothing. Ever!
    Closest was a pair of Superstar brake pads in their early days but they didn’t want them back.
    I hate the idea that it’s mandatory to accept returns that are not duff. Nice if you want to offer that facility but to impose that is wrong. Duff kit , fair enough and if that’s what a dealer chooses to do to get the business that’s fine by me. The whole thing must add to costs and the amount of traffic dedicated to mail order sales is disgusting. we should be removing road traffic not encouraging it.
    off to glue the tubs onto my Higgins trike 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘How much stuff do you return from online purchasing?’ is closed to new replies.