Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How much stem is it safe to have above the top of a steering tube?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

OK, so what if a (*cough*) friend of mine (*cough*) had cut his steering tube a little shorter than intended, but still wants to put a couple of spacers under his stem to raise his bars a little? Is any amount of stem above the top of the steerer in any way at all safe?

Dame 140mm Revs feel shorter than the old 130mm…….

nukeproof
    Free Member

A (*cough*) friend of mine (*cough*) did this: don’t know for others but Thomson state 3mm between top of steerer to top of stem.

Worse case, higher rise bars?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt any manufacturer will give you anything other than a cautious estimate like that above. I’ve run maybe 6mm OK, doubt I’d run any more, you don’t want to be thinking about is as you are GNARGNAR-ing it up on some “very rocky” slopes.

It’s going to depend on stem clamp height & how beefy the clamp area is.

Paceman
    Free Member

Safer to use a higher rise bar or higher rise stem for piece of mind. I would have though 5mm absolute maximum but wouldn’t do more than the recommended 3mm myself.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You should have the top of the steerer 3mm below the top of the stem/upper most spacer.

Instead of risking it why don’t you forgoe one of the spacers below the stem if it’s a bit touch and go?

Or maybe get a higher rise stem and loose the spacers all together, it’s gonna be more cost effective than a new steerer

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, currently got one 5mm spacer underneath and the stem is 3mm above the top of the tube, so legit as it is, just about. Maybe just need to get used to the angles, if not, change the stem I guess,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How much stem is it safe to have above the top of a steering tube?’ is closed to new replies.