Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how much space is needed to open a fridge freezer door?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Our unpurchased fridge freezer is gonna sit at the end of the worktop next to a wall. We want space to be able to open it properly. Is there a rule of thumb for a minimum gap between the f.f. and the wall? or is each model different?

jodafett

Depends on the hinges. To be on the safe side I’d add the depth of the door to the width of the freezer and that should give the max width. But thats a total guess.

leffeboy

or is each model different?

That I would think. Ours can sit next to the wall because of the way the hinges are and the fact that the handle is a recess in the door rather than something stuck on.

nealglover
    Free Member

As above, it will depend on the hinge design, and also on the Handle design and the front of the door (flat or convex)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go to the shop and measure if you are in doubt.

Taff
    Free Member

600mm is a minimum (typical width) but all 650mm or safety unless you have some American type fridge freezer type of thing

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Width of fridge plus 100mm generally works for me

qwerty
    Free Member

why don’t they tell you this kinda stuff on the manufacturers websites?????????

will we be ok with 120mm?

project
    Free Member

http://www.comparethefridge.con

lots of un useful info there

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saw one in Currys today that had a ‘double hinge’ Like some bridleway gates, you could open it either way.

chickenman

100mm should be fine for the Vietnamese (American) Potbellied Pig Fridge.

qwerty
    Free Member

Saw one in Currys today that had a ‘double hinge’ Like some bridleway gates, you could open it either way.

swings both ways then

jonba
    Free Member

Different for each model. But be careful you will need the door thickness including handle as if you can’t get the door to 90deg you might not be able to access any slideout trays.

We’ve just bought one and have a similar setup to you. We have had 2 standard 60cm wide fridges and the gap they fit in is 70cm. Door opens towards wall. Might get it in a tighter spot if it opened the other way but it would be harder to get in.

Kevevs
    Free Member

there’s a website called comparethefridge.com well f*** me rigid i did not know that.This forum is still solid gold.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how much space is needed to open a fridge freezer door?’ is closed to new replies.