Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How much should one spend on a HDMI lead?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah but it does imply that not all cables are the same – as long as they meet the standards then they’ll do what the standards say they will. Looks like Blu ray users should use a cable that meets the High Speed standard.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Even a superficial google search for “high speed” HDMI indicates that it is only required for 3D, 4K displays, and 60fps (also for short cable runs regular cables might work) so unless you have these sorts of displays then high speed won’t be needed. Add to that, I’ll lay good odds that the high speed ones will be a bit more expensive (initally) but they won’t be anywhere near the eyewatering prices that some companies charge!

Cougar

Yeah but it does imply that not all cables are the same – as long as they meet the standards then they’ll do what the standards say they will.

I’ve fielded this misunderstanding once already on this very thread. We’re not saying that all cables are the same; we’re saying they’ll either work or fail. Ie, you can’t replace a cheap cable with an expensive one and improve your sound / picture quality (as you might with say SCART), it simply doesn’t work like that. However, if your signal is faulty – if the audio cuts out or the video pixellates and corrupts, or if features aren’t supported – then you might need a better cable.

Looks like Blu ray users should use a cable that meets the High Speed standard.

Depends. If you’re just watching 720p / 1080i in a typical domestic setup then it doesn’t matter either way. Arguably though, there’s little reason not to get ‘high speed’ cables given the choice, so long as they’re similarly priced. (I think the last ones I bought were about four quid.) (EDIT – thus and so. All the cable you’ll ever need, until UHDTV comes out anyway.)

ourmaninthenorth

No doubt absolute purists do do such things but it’s the law of diminishing returns.

Years ago, when I frequented the Naim boards (when flirting with the idea of a full Naim set up), there were very serious threads* about people’s projects to have the whole of their mains supply upgraded to very precise specs.

So yes, there are people, in the outer reaches of sanity, who are doing this s–t.

*There’s nothing else on the Naim boards

m1kea
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth
    No doubt absolute purists do do such things but it’s the law of diminishing returns.

Years ago, when I frequented the Naim boards (when flirting with the idea of a full Naim set up), there were very serious threads* about people’s projects to have the whole of their mains supply upgraded to very precise specs.

A friend in Hi Fi retail went to the Naim factory a few years ago and finished hand assembling his CD5.
    I have wondered if line interactive UPS’s would make an audible difference* but quite frankly CBA to rejig one of mine to to find out.

*= difference, but not necessarily an improvement

mudshark
    Free Member

Some use car batteries. Some of those use Rolls Royce car batteries!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How much should one spend on a HDMI lead?’ is closed to new replies.