Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How much should one spend on a HDMI lead?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

…probably not this much 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the one made from human nerves.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the one made from human nerves.

In the meantime, how about diamondz?

jon1973
    Free Member

Blimey. I payed about 4 quid and I bet it makes no difference to one costing 300

jota180
    Free Member

What currency is that? Pesos?

grum
    Free Member

But it comes with 3D so definitely worth it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As long as they’re directional diamondz.

mugsys_m8

Is digital not 10101010 or on off on off on off and therefore anything remotely conductive sufficient?

samuri
    Free Member

Don’t start trying to bring logic into a video/audio thread.

ampthill

Don’t go to cheap. They are the only lead that i have ever had that some times simply won’t work. i sent of my reviever for a warranty claim. Turns out it was a duff lead.

But I think think that the ones on thios thread are geting a little silly

PiknMix
    Free Member

Wasn’t this disproved (albeit very unscientifically) on the gadget show?

Cheapo ones worked just as well.

eta. All my hdmi leads were less than £3 from the bay.

CaptainSlow

A fool and his money and all that….

I once had a giggle when a shop assistant was tying to tell me that I needed a more expensive optical cable than the cheap one I was buying as it would get interference off other cables….

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t go to cheap.

I bought a good few from the £1 shop when I saw them in there a few years ago.

They are all still in use and doing fine. 3 in my house, 2 in my Brothers, 3 in my dads house.
    (And 2 left unwrapped in a box in the garage I think ?)

somafunk

If you’re bored and you feel the need to shout at your monitor > How much for a mains power cable?

winston_dog
    Free Member

That mains cable is just ridiculous.

upgrading your £5,000 CD player’s mains lead to a Silver SuperKord SD II will bring about an even bigger upgrade than upgrading your player to the next model… and it’s cheaper. In that context, surely the Silver SD II SuperKords offer extremely good value for money?

WTF!

xiphon
    Free Member

Wow, just wow, at that power cord!!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

In the meantime, how about diamondz?

It’s got thirteen hundred quid off what more do you want man?!? 😆

scaredypants

It’s got thirteen hundred quid off what more do you want man?!?

don’t forget quidco

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I bought Neet ones and I wouldnt think any more money would prove any better. Probably cheaper ones would do the same nowadays too.

grum
    Free Member

Nothing but Nordost Odin power cables will do for me now. I went for 5m at £20,495.00

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Power%20Cords.htm

kimbers

whilst buying my TV the sales guy in richer sounds was trying to convince me I needed to spend 10% of the price of my tv on an HDMI lead if I wanted to do the telly justice…………. I ignored him

Kevevs
    Free Member

£8 for a 3M gold plated polaroid one from Asda. Any probs take it back for a refund anytime in this lifetime…

ask1974
    Free Member

It’s essentially just bandwidth that differentiates HDMI cables. Cheap and nasty will potentially cause problems over long distances, especially with the latest video standards, but essentially as long as you buy based on the standard linked below you’re perfectly safe.

HDMI consumer info for cables

maxtorque

As above, what matters is having a matched impedance, and this is just a result of good digital design practises, and does not require, gold, diamonds, or other exotic materials.

The longer the lead gets the more important this becomes (as the phase shift of the signals increases with time (distance travelled).

A well designed £3 lead will work better than a poorly designed £300 one!

Kevevs
    Free Member

so is my £8 polaroid 5 metre hdmi cable going to really mess with my enjoyment of the next couple of series of Breaking Bad? It won’t make it any better by spoending a shitload of money on a cable!! There is a point where people will spend too much money on things just because they can, and they think it will improve life or something.

CountZero

I haven’t, and never will, pay more than £5 for an HDMI cable.

JCL
    Free Member

I buy ones with all the pins wired for maximum connectivity.

m1kea
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

If you’re bored and you feel the need to shout at your monitor > How much for a mains power cable?

Improving the quality of the electrical supply can enhance top end audio.

However we’re talking incremental gains and more importantly, you’d want to upgrade the whole electrical circuit path and supply, not just the final metre or so from the wall.

No doubt absolute purists do do such things but it’s the law of diminishing returns.

Periodically unplugging and cleaning RCA jacks can make a difference to the sound. I did notice a subtle change when I last did this as an experiment but that was something like 15 years ago. – As you can probably tell, I’m really not that fussed about such things.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve got a £4 on from tesco and on I Paid £35 for when I first got a hd tv. both are identical picturewise.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is digital not 10101010 or on off on off on off and therefore anything remotely conductive sufficient?

Yes, but you can run out of bandwidth. HDMI is aproaching the limit of how many ones and zero’s you can send down a copper wire without it coming out a jibberish at the other end. But yes, a cable will either work or not. Unless you upgrade your telly or something else and it needs to run a higher HDMI standard.

The only difference I’ve found between £4 cable and £20 cable is the £4 cable fell apart.

There is a point where people will spend too much money on things just because they can, and they think it will improve life or something.

Are we still talking about cables or have we moved onto bikes?

Jamie
    Free Member

Are we still talking about cables or have we moved onto bikes?

Keep up. We are onto coffee machines now.

RustySpanner

Cables are the new religion, dontchaknow.

I am a person of limited faith – when I die, I’m going to Richer Sounds.
    True belivers end up in Russ Andrew’s warehouse.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve seen a rubbish HDMI cable.

You could tell it was bad, because the signal suddenly disappeared if you run it next to anything else.

But it was pretty darned obvious when you weren’t getting a signal.

igrf
    Free Member

Ah I wonder if this can solve a problem I seem to have created for myself having just fitted an hdmi switch so I can remotely switch between satellite, apple tv and the DVD thing the daughter keeps leaving on without leaving the sofa of joy.

Anyway ever since I installed it there are loads of little star trek like white specs flashing whenever the screen is dark, mildly irritating if not for the star trek like aura they depict.

So do I need to spend £24k on a cable or is it the switch thing itself?

joemarshall
    Free Member

HDMI switches are a bit flaky in my experience, particularly ones that try to be clever. Problem is that they have to pretend to be one device, putting out one display format, whereas in reality they are taking input from 3 devices, all with different display formats. Absolute pain. We have some quite expensive ones, and they are still a pain in the arse.

Does your TV not have enough inputs that you can switch between inputs on that – 2 hdmi + 1 DVI is I guess the minimum you need there? On some TVs the DVI wipes out one of the HDMIs though, so you might not.

vinnyeh

I just buy HDMI cables from Amazon for a £1 or so. No problems yet.

BlobOnAStick

They’ve got them at the Poundshop – 1m length. The 2 I bought are in service and work well. 🙂

igrf
    Free Member

joemarshall – Member
    HDMI switches are a bit flaky in my experience, particularly ones that try to be clever. Problem is that they have to pretend to be one device, putting out one display format, whereas in reality they are taking input from 3 devices, all with different display formats. Absolute pain. We have some quite expensive ones, and they are still a pain in the arse.

Does your TV not have enough inputs that you can switch between inputs on that –

No, it’s only got one hdmi input, hence the switch, previously I had a two into one cable which you physically have to get up, walk behind the set and push a little button to change over, then I got one off the internet that just didn’t work, this one bought from a store, works but with added star effect, so I guess your ‘bit flaky’ description about sums it up.

mudshark
    Free Member

So looking at the standards not all HDMI cables will do then – Standard HDMI Cable is different from High Speed HDMI Cable.

Cougar

Depends.

The ‘high speed’ moniker refers to 1080p and 3D support. If you’re not using either of those features, then there’s no difference. (Also, I’ve half a memory that ‘high speed’ cables can be made to longer lengths, but I may have made that up.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How much should one spend on a HDMI lead?’ is closed to new replies.