Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How much should I tighten my Hope BB?
  • AB
    Free Member

Got myself a new Hope Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket and I’d like to make sure I’m tightening it up correctly.

I know some of you will just say it should be ‘tight’, but I already own a torque wrench and wouldn’t mind knowing how tight it should be. Can’t see anything on it about torque levels, or in the literature/Hope site either.

I’m sure Fruit is sitting happy somewhere content in the knowledge that at least ‘someone out there’ cares about torque settings on BBs – even if I haven’t bought at SSC one.*

*BTW – what ever happened to the ‘ginger one’? I used to love the regular SSC threads on the old forum…

giantjason
    Free Member

when i bought mine from my lbs they just said ‘tight’.

i just tighten it up until it feels difficult.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Not as tight as you could tighten it.

nickc

Tight enough. Why do you need to know a torque setting? it’s a flaming bicycle FFS

simondbarnes

370 inch pounds

DrDolittle
    Free Member

PS,

The plastic spacers that come with Hope BBs tend to be softer than the Truvativ equivalent, so there’s only so much tightening you can do until it deforms and spreads over the BB shell. Keep an eye on this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    AB
    Free Member

So ‘tight’ is all I’m getting…?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Good question. I tightened mine up to what I considered to be ‘the loose-end of tight’, and the plastic washers deformed. And that really wasn’t tight – it wasn’t far off hand tight to be honest. I don’t know if the washers are just crap. That said, I left it like that and although the bearings are now shot it stayed in place for 6 months.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How much should I tighten my Hope BB?’ is closed to new replies.