Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • how much should I pay for this bike carrera fury 2008
  • jedimaster
    Free Member

hi everyone, can anyone tell me roughly how much this bike model is worth, please (carrera fury 2008 but it was bought in 2009)? I am about to view it tomorrow( and hopefully buy it 🙂 ) and I know it is in an immaculate condition with no scratches or dents etc. the specs are the following:
    Brake Caliper Front Tektro Auriga Comp – 180mm rotors
    Brake Caliper Rear APSE ADC 4.7 160 mm rotors
    Brake Type Hydraulic Disc
    Crank Truvativ Blaze powersplined
    Pedals wellgo black alloy platform
    Derailleur Front Sram X5
    Derailleur Rear Sram X7
    Gears 27
    Shifter(s) Sram X5 Trigger
    Handlebar Kalloy Over-Sized- Matt Black
    Headset Semi-Intergrated – Black
    Saddle Carrera
    Seat Post Kalloy Micro Adjust- Matt black
    Stem Alloy Ahead – Black
    Fork Lock-out Yes
    Fork Travel Adjustable 80mm-120mm
    Forks Rock Shox Tora 318 U-turn just serviced
    Forks – Adjustable damping Yes
    Rear brake – Tektro Auriga Comp – 160mm rotors
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Quick Release Yes
    Rims Yes Mavic XM-317
    Tyres (Front & Back) 2.1 continental speed king
    Wheel Size 26

thanks 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

There’s some on fleabay.
    Buy it now options go from £150 (which includes ‘Safety tyres’!) to £300 for one which does look in good nick (it doesn’t have the Safety tyres but does have a comfier saddle!)
    So I guess somewhere in that range would be a good starting price. Don’t be afraid to haggle.

zempy

I bet it was only £500 new so i would think about £225-£275 If its immaculate.

Make sure its the right size.

jedimaster
    Free Member

alright thanks for the advice guys 🙂

dmjb4
    Free Member

Half the new price then 10% for every year is the usual benchmark. And is pretty much spot on for most transactions.

Old bike has no warranty and changing the chain, rings and cassette is not cheap these days.

Northwind

Condition’s the most important thing really… Yes they weren’t expensive new but then that version of Fury was one of the best mountain biking bargains I’ve ever seen. £300-£350 definately reasonable for both parties if it’s in as good condition as it sounds.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If it still has the Truvative chainset budget for frequent reacements/very early upgrade. 3 new powerspline BB’s in my first year of gentle, first bike in years, mincing in good weather and crank bolts constantly unscrewing sent me to a cheap Deore hollowtec 2 set. Still doing sterling service as it is now my SS bike.

Northwind

Aye, worst part in the spec by miles. OTOH, if it’s still got it fitted and the paint hasn’t all fallen off the cranks, that probably proves it’s almost unused 😉

deviant
    Free Member

A Fury of that vintage is/was a very nice bargain as others have said….Getonyourbike of this parish uses one for everything from cross country to gravity enduro and mini-downhill….a very strong frame that takes all his jumps and abuse in its stride.
    I believe he runs a Shimano chainset as (like others said) the original equipment BB, chainset and cranks were rubbish.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Hi just to let you know guys, I bought it today for £275 (together with a computer and a set of lights and a car bike rack for 2 bikes from halfords ) and the condition of it is as new except a bit of rust on some bolts. The specs however are slightly different eg it hasn’t got mavic rims but sun rims ds2-xc and the tyres are continental gravity 2.3. Overall I think that this was a really good bargain. However i noticed that the gear cables that run under the frame are exposed and I’m slightly worried that they could rust? Or are they made from stainless steel?

Do you think that I should change the cranks and BB straight away?

Thanks

flow
    Free Member

£10

nealy
    Free Member

The gear cables won’t rust, keep the parts that run in the outer cables lubed and they’ll be fine. No need to replace anything until it wears out. It’s a decent bike and will do you well, have fun with it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

A Fury of that vintage is/was a very nice bargain as others have said….Getonyourbike of this parish uses one for everything from cross country to gravity enduro and mini-downhill….a very strong frame that takes all his jumps and abuse in its stride.

Aye. I’m making a video edit and all the abuse features in it. Check MTBE tomorrow night 😉

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

3p

martymac

nah, dont change it til it wears out,
    you’ve spent the money, now get out and enjoy it!

freeagent
    Free Member

sounds like a good deal.
    Agree with the others on the Powerspine crankset – they are utter crap, the one on my Boardman lasted 6 months of gentle riding – swapped it for a Shimano HT2 chainset which has been truoble free ever since..

Enjoy it, you’ve got a good bike there…

jedimaster
    Free Member

Aye. I’m making a video edit and all the abuse features in it. Check MTBE tomorrow night

Really nice video mate, I need to properly test mine out now! 🙂
    Well done

scraprider
    Free Member

a great bike, been doing all the off piest stuff at haldon and woodbury for 12 months now. dont change any thing just ride it for now.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Cheers, jedimaster 😀

2hottie
    Free Member

I used to work at Halford’s and iirc, they were only £550 new so something around £150-160 mark could be fair.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘how much should I pay for this bike carrera fury 2008’ is closed to new replies.