Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much play is normal in a front mech / derailleur pivots?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I can’t find a google answer to this so I hope its not too obvious!

Noticed today a 2 year old XT front mech is noticably wobbly around it pivots. It moves a few mm in and out in middle ring (“in” only in outer and v v). It’s firm to the frame. It still shifts ok. My other ones have no noticalbe “play”.

Do I need to sell some organs now – or can I wait a while?

GW
    Free Member

old skool top swing mechs = no play
    shitty modern lower link ones = loads

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Grrrr- you’ve come back with a Q! I’ll have to go outside now and figure out which I have. 🙂

Edit – ok – the clamp is roughly at the same level as the chain on the middle ring, and the cable enters/pulls from above. Does that make sense?

GW
    Free Member

not a question, simply a statement.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

if it shifts ok then whats the problem

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

if it shifts ok then whats the problem

Possibly none – thus the question. Not being cheeky, but it didnt have any play before so I’m wondering if I need to budget.

@GW- my earlier edit missed your reply – sorry

GW
    Free Member

Edit – ok – the clamp is roughly at the same level as the chain on the middle ring, and the cable enters/pulls from above. Does that make sense?

= shitty modern low link one.
    pish design, old skool ones are still readily available BTW (look for the word “Conventional” in the description).

neilnevill
    Free Member

they wear. deore wear quick, xt seem to last a good while. IME deore are wobbly after a few rides….but last a few years before they don’t shift well at all. XT last much longer.
    Always worth stocking the spares bin when the wiggle/crc sales are on

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks GW. Now I’m getting somewhere.

So I know I’ve got a shitty low link one – how knackered is it? A few mm in the middle ring?

Doesn’t sound good to me 🙁

GW
    Free Member

I’m not psychic 🙄
    if there’s so much play it doesn’t do it’s job (or just plain annoys you) replace it, a decent new conventional mech can be had for about £15 online

Onzadog
    Free Member

If there’s a few mm of play in a topswing mech then it could be brand new. GW is correct. They are total bobbins. If it will work on your frame, conventional swing is the way forward. So much so that it’s actually a consideration for me when picking a new frame.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

coatesy
    Free Member

Could only use a topswing on my frame, so bought a decent one (XT), and made a mudflap out of an old innertube to shield the pivots, just ziptied to the frame.Got to be at least 5yrs old, ridden in all weathers 3 times a week, and still going strong.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much play is normal in a front mech / derailleur pivots?’ is closed to new replies.