Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How much of your bike is 2nd hand?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m curious given the amount of buying and selling on here and the prices of new kit today.

My Meta was the donor for the Prince Albert; my frame (inc headset and clamp), wheels, GD post, rear QR, grips and tyres are all from the classifieds.

The rest of my new parts from the Meta are on Mrs Shake’s bike 🙂

abennell
    Free Member

Hmmm, just about to buy a frame off here, wheels, seatpost, seat, shifters, handlebars, stem, forks, tyres are all off here,
    i love cycling but don’t get to do it that much to afford new shiny expensive kit all the time!

pilgrim
    Free Member

About 90% I reckon.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not much. Forks, cranks, seatpost and rear mech I think. I usually look for 2nd hand stuff if I need something, but if it doesnt appear within a few days then I’ll just buy it new.

Also, if you shop about, you can get new stuff for the same price as 2nd hand stuff i.e. I bought a brand new gamut chainguide for £40 off ebay. My specialized Toupe saddle was £40. Ive seen people selling both for more than that 2nd hand.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Depends on the bike. My commuter has s/h steel fork and mudguards but otherwise is built of cheap but at-one-point brand new when i got them many years ago bits.

On the other hand my Bullit only has back wheel, front rim, grips, brakes, chain, cassette, chainring chain device and saddle brand new to me. Everything else (frame, fork, post/bars/stem/cranks/gears/front hub) was second hand from stw classifieds. I could probably say near enough the same for my xc bike too.

TimP
    Free Member

The only thing I have that is brand new is some grips I won in the BH raffle (and they aren’t even on the bike yet). Other than that both MTB are 100% SH. The road bike was bought new from a shop but not broken/worn anything out yet

Rickos
    Free Member

On the Orange the bits that are 2nd hand – frame & shock, cranks, headset, gears (about to be swapped this weekend for new 10 speed though). The brakes, tyres and wheels have been on a few of my bikes but were new to me.

On the Chameleon it’s easier to say what was new to me – brakes & rotors, grips, rear tyre, errr – that’s it. Oh, a chainring too.

wwaswas

actually, at the moment I’m probably running at my highest new:old ratio ever.

I have 5 bikes;

1 bought new complete (Charge steamer £250)
    1 carbon 456 singlespeed – new frame, brakes and fork, rest secondhand
    1 Kinesis Decade gears – new frame,brakes and fork, rest second hand.
    1 Giant NRS singlespeed – new crank and SS gubbins, rest second hand
    1 On-one inbred, rigid gears – frame bought new.

most of the kit I get is off the classifieds here. chains and cassettes I tend to buy new too.

cookeaa

Which Bike?

Road – 99% new I think – acquire via C2W ~ 4 years ago, parts replaced as broken with new kit
    BMX – 100% “new” – bought new (Reduced) ~ 3 years ago changed the Grips, took off the front brake, nothing changed since…
    XC MTB – bought the frame and a few parts new but I’d say 50% of the parts at the minute on it came from various classifieds/ebay
    DH bike – about 70% 2nd hand I reckon, a lot from SDH and ebay
    SS MTB – ~90% 2nd hand – Frame/fork Retrobike, chainset SDH, wheels and brakes STW, other parts ebay/spares box/CRC….

Most used kit is perfectly servicable, I’ve had very few “Bad” experiences buying used, I’d never try to flog on anything myself without being up front about it’s condition, I think the majority of sellers are the same really…

I’ll admit there is a certain smugness that comes from getting a part on your bike and working (that was originally priced silly high) for relative peanuts…

_tom_
    Free Member

Everything but the saddle, cassette, chainrings, chain, pedals and the rear disc. And then stuff like brake pads and grips. I can’t afford new prices for the main components, they’re ridiculous.

DezB
    Free Member

My commuter (road bike) is all new (first new bike I’ve owned in my life!)
    MTBs are ALL second hand though. Apart from grips and tyres, I think I have a new rear mech on one, but I rely the classifieds and eBay to keep me mtbing!
    oh, just remembered I bought some new XT brakes, thanks to STW and Rosebikes.

kudos100
    Free Member

I have one bike that is new, the other 4 are all mixtures of 2nd hand with a few new bits here and there. 90% used I reckon. Mix of ebay, here and pink bike.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just gone through mine and the mrs bike (they are hanging up next to my desk)

The only new bits on both bikes are: 4 tubes, 2 tyres, 1 chainset, 2 chains, 1 cassette, 1 headset, 1 set of brakes, 8 brake pads, 1 stem, 1 set of grips, 2 rims and 64 spokes.

Over 95% second hand

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Usualy 90% +

This time I went new, but the wheels will be replaced with s/h hubs with new rims/spokes.

Bars were ‘as new’ as somene didn’t get on with them.

Saddle is so old I can’t remember who originaly owned it, although tye were probably a STW’er! Anyone remember selling me a red velour/white leather SDG saddle?

I wouldn’t buy anything with the potential to wear out second hand again, got burnt a few times.

clubber
    Free Member

Loads. In fact the only bike I have that has a majority of parts that were bought new is my road bike which was bought as a complete, new bike.

EDIT – actually my CX bike is mainly built up of parts that were bought new though initially it was a new frame/fork and old parts

neninja
    Free Member

Most of it was bought new but have bought a few 2nd hand bits for it.

Fork – 2011 Talas RLC
    Spare set of wheels – Hope Pro3 AM4 with Flow
    Stem – Sunline V1
    Front tyre – Rubber Queen BC

namastebuzz
    Free Member

My 2009 Iron Horse 6.6 was 100% 2nd hand – a steal off Ebay. Since replaced shifters/mech/chain.

Built my Orange Evo with a:

Frame off Ebay (£90)
    Rockshox J4s off here (£15)
    Hope/DH wheels (free)
    Assorted drivetrain/finishing kit from other bikes/ebay/Jenson USA
    Total around £160 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

My Full suss is 100% new although parts have been taken off another bike but I originally bought them new.

Road bike is second hand.

Single-speed commuter I built is 90% second hand.

I agree the new prices are sometimes beyond believe but at times so are the used ones on forums and ebay.

racefaceec90

only my odi lock on grips/cane creek ergo bar ends (taken from my bike i p/x’ed for my current bike)

donsimon
    Free Member

Out of 4 bikes the only second hand kit is a single titanium seat post.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Frame SH off here and it’s doing sterling work
    My wheels I bought new 10 years ago.
    Forks new on Ebay USA around 1/3 RRP
    Brakes new 4 years ago
    headset chainrings chain and casette BB seatclamp tubes – new
    everything else SH

Best Purchase new or SH was my muckynuts mudguard it’s a good thing that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

odd bits are new [ rims,saddle grips, cassette and mech iirc]but all are second hand bikes and SS is basically from the parts bin with a nice middleburn ring on it.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Most of it actually! Only bits I bought new: Stem, Chain, Grips, headset, pedals and tyres!

thomthumb
    Free Member

stem and the rear tyre. although quite a few parts have come from the bicycle parts roulette that seems to go on with my bikes.

angryratio
    Free Member

nearly all the stems/seatposts/saddles i run are second hand.

Why pay retail for thomson stuff.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Frame, headset, forks.

It started out all new, but I’ve swapped some new for old in a reverse Trigger’s broom scenario.

ton

my singular swift frame and forks is 2nd hand.
    but in such good condition it would be hard to tell.

passtherizla
    Free Member

1 is totally new and the other totally second hand…

bol

My best bike has a new frame, forks, pedals and bars. The others are 90% pre-owned. Drivetrain I generally buy pre-owned but unused.

momo

My frame and fork were bought second hand, everything else was new

transapp
    Free Member

I guess I bought the seatpost, bars, stem, grips, shifters and tyres new. Everything else bought from here or off my bro. That’d be an Anthem X1, hope hoops, xt throughout, RS Revelation air u-turns and all in spangly as new condition. I did start by upgrading a 100% second had eBay trek, I guess i got carried away! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My C456 has

Grips – £2 for some used once ODI lock ons!
    Brakes – £115 Magura Louise BAT carbons
    Rear wheel – £50 Hope XC/Mavic 717
    Crankset – £35 Deore HT2, fitted never used
    Bars – £7 Truvative off Fleabay
    Tyres – £25 Maxis Larsens or £21 Bonty Jones ACX (Pair)
    Rear mech – £FREE!! SRAM X9
    Shifters – £20 SRAM X7
    Saddle – £15 SDG Bel Air

Done quire well there I think!
    😀

rwc03
    Free Member

Purchasing more and more stuff new. There’s been some excellent deals around recently, prices new that I would have been happy to pay S/H for. Bike used to be 100% S/H now everything new apart from frame, post, bars and forks. Nice to have receipts and warranty on things.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Voodoo D-jab frame, Rohloff Speedhub, Magura Thors, Pro2, XT cranks and brakes, gravity dropper, Hope BB, mainly from STW classifieds… Erm, the saddle was new (a long time ago!) and it had a new chain and sprocket a while ago. That makes what, 98%?

And the other one:, only the Gates belt drive kit was new. Oh, and the dropouts I had made to modify the bike to make it fit…

Gribs

On my hardtail the only bit’s that were bought new are the drivetrain, pedals, grips, stem & bar. Plus I rebuilt the rear wheel with a new hub. If you include stuff that was on my own bikes before then the only new bits are the bottom bracket, stem and cables.

My FS is almost entirely new, apart from a seat swapped from an old bike which was second hand.

njee20
    Free Member

Nothing at all on any of my 3 bikes 😳

nickf
    Free Member

Chains & cassettes are always new (though I’ve bought unused s/h off here before).

Tyres are usually new as well, though I’ve acquired 20 or so with secndhand bikes I’ve bought, so I’ll not be buying nay for a while.

Frames – usually secondhand (though I bought a new 14″ On-One for one of my kids ‘cos it was £90)

Wheels – always secondhand, though if I kill a rim I put a new one on

Seatpost/stem/bars – secondhand

Pedals – Always new SPDs now – so cheap that it’s not worth buying knackered old stuff

Forks – always seciondhand thenserviced and set up for me

Shocks – if I can find a coil shock to fit, then secondhand

Saddle – depends

BB – if there’s an unused secondhand one, fine, but otherwise new

Cranks – look for a bargain then buy new

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

My full suser is at least 90% used bits- the only bought new bits are the stem, wheels, casette & chain.

deanfbm
    Free Member

On my current bike, the frame, fork, seatpost, wheels and cranks are 2nd hand. I work in a bike shop and still can’t afford the big things brand new.

simon_g

On my current PA, only the chainset, brakes and wheels were bought new for it. Everything else was either secondhand or scavenged from other bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How much of your bike is 2nd hand?’ is closed to new replies.