Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • How much of where you live is built on? (Find out here! )
  • Poopscoop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901294

I know when I look at my area it’s pretty depressing! 🙁

thecaptain
    Free Member

98% farmland or natural (mostly the latter) 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

75% of Southampton. 👿

somafunk

So glad I live in deserted Galloway, even a trip to dumfries sets my hackles on edge due to the traffic/amount of people

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

1% according to the map thingy

Yak

4%.
    Not too shabby.

Klunk
    Free Member

Built on 4%
    Green urban 2%
    Farmland 84%
    Natural 10%

daviek

1% built on 🙂

tjagain

City of Edinburgh

Built on35%
    Green urban17%
    Farmland37%
    Natural11%

but this is very skewed by the way city of edinburgh council is actually much bigger than the city itself encompassing satellite towns and the green belt between the city and the satellite town. The city itself is very densely built on with little green area compared to many cities

Edit this is the pic they use. Most folk would think of the city as the bit inside the bypass mainly ie the dense red bit

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

3%

I’m assuming by natural, they include managed grouse moors….

hodgynd
    Free Member

96% Farmland (54)/ Natural(42)..in Northumberland…
    I live within this category.
    Built on land 2%.

nickjb
    Free Member

69% built on, 21% green urban for bristol, and the boundary is mostly what I would consider the city. Happy with that. Green enough with plenty of facilities within a short walk or cycle. Not sure I want to live in a 1% area and have to drive everywhere.

orangeboy
    Free Member

4% built on
    88 % farming
    6% natural

The mendip hills , middle of Bristol as mentioned above is a 70 mile round trip by bike from home

milky1980
    Free Member

Cardiff has the same skewed figures for the same reason as Edinburgh. In reality they’re building everywhere they possibly can, mainly offices and posh student halls.

Really miss living in the countryside 🙁

nathb
    Free Member

Where I currently live: 69% (London so was actually expecting it to be higher)
    Where I’m moving to: 7% 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

2% natural.

“St. Helens Council – F****** the environment for you, your children and your children’s children”

birky
    Free Member

50% natural
    48% farmland
    1% built on
    1% green urban

theotherjonv

some interesting facts on the BBC website today analysing this data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901297

I particularly like (paraphrasing) that the coverage of Britain by buildings is a lesser area than that uncovered when the tide goes out.

We do still generally live in a green (and pleasant?) land.

joshvegas
    Free Member

56% natural (forestry trail centres and hill farms/shooting estates type stuff windfarms? Reservoirs?)
    4sonething farm land.

<1%built and urban green.

onehundredthidiot

It’s given all of the Scottish Borders so hard to tell.

whitestone
    Free Member

Southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales (Craven)

Built on1%
    Green urban < 1%
    Farmland 41%
    Natural 57%

Even a small town like Skipton feels noisy, crowded and claustrophobic. Rural lad at heart 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Some figure with at least 0.00 in front of it, I should think…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Farmland, well Strawberry Fields to be exact.

Drac

2% Northumberland really is shit.

DezB
    Free Member

No point in looking on mine – it changes every week.
    Even the fields where I used to walk my dog are getting changed into a shitty industrial estate.

46% at the mo. That’ll be easily 60% by 2019. No more roads though, oh no. Hmph.

DezB
    Free Member

Ha – funny – Portsmouth is 70%. But the only green bits are marsh and shoreland. I’m sure they’ll find a way to build on that in a few years.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sunny Brentwood on the edge of the M25

Built 10%
    Green urban 8%
    Farmland 76%
    Natural 6%

You can be on country lanes within a couple of hundred yards of the High Street or into central London within 36mins (with crossrail next year)

It’s a bit flat though with sadly no real vistas of any note.

slowoldman

The boundaries don’t mean a lot though do they? For example the area I live in says 45% built on, but I’m on the edge of the conurbation. If I put say a 5km radius around my house it would be much more farmland and natural.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheshire West & Chester area, although stats are skewed by the frankly massive conurbation that is Chester and the post apocalyptic industrial wasteland that is Ellesmere Port (how the **** that is included is beyond me), we’ve got:

10% built on – see above
    4% green urban – must be Grosvenor Park in Chester
    81% farm land
    5% natural – off set by the massive amounts of dairy farms in the area I’d imagine.

matt_outandabout

78% “natural”

[/url]Rescue 177 final flight by Matt Robinson, on Flickr[/img]

jimdubleyou

42% – not too bad for a London borough.

Heavily skewed by the two biggest Royal Parks though – 57% green urban…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Built on 10%
    Green urban 6%
    Farmland 49%
    Natural 35%

Just on the edge of Farnham.

gordimhor

Figures given are for all of Highland Council so with a built up area of <1% it’s fairly accurate for my area but not for Inverness

scotroutes

As above.

Natural 91, Farmland 8.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The boundaries don’t mean a lot though do they? For example the area I live in says 45% built on, but I’m on the edge of the conurbation. If I put say a 5km radius around my house it would be much more farmland and natural.

The sample area is too big, I’m in Southwark so it’s 75% but I’m literally the last few houses in the southern tip of the borough with a nature reserve opposite, Crystal Palace park over the way and Dulwich wood/park down the road so it’s more like 50.
    It’s one of the reasons I moved here after living in a back to back terraced area.
    I still think of London as a green city though, when I look out my bathroom window I can see right round from towards Heathrow, out to Wembley and across to the Shard at London Bridge and it’s mostly treetops with buildings sticking out which a lot of other big cities don’t have.

midlifecrashes

Doncaster

Built on 16%
    Green urban 5%
    Farmland 72%
    Natural 8%

Not sure how they are defining natural though. Doncaster seems more built up when you’re moving around it but outside of the town centre it’s mostly a collection of villages based on old manors and country seats, the ribbon development along the connecting roads fools you into thinking places are more built up than they are.

benp1

Built on – 57%
    Green urban – 24%
    Farmland – 17%
    Natural – 2%

I live in a London borough right out in the suburbs, I don’t think those figures are that bad…! I’m right on the edge of the proper greenbelt

somafunk

Forgot to post the results for Galloway back on page 1

Built on 1% Green urban< 1% Farmland 40% Natural 58%

Only other place i’ve lived is Argyll

Built on< 1% Green urban< 1% Farmland 10% Natural 89%

^

I’m right on the edge of the proper greenbelt

Just thinking about living in such a place gives me the heebie-jeebies, I’m a very happy self confessed isolationist with an aversion for people 😀

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Seems flawed as they don’t appear to include roads in their built on calcs

natrix
    Free Member

57% built on, but it never seems that much as we have access to much of the military training land, as opposed to farmland which looks OK but you don’t tend to have much access to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘How much of where you live is built on? (Find out here! )’ is closed to new replies.