• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Rosss.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How much of a slouch is a Switchback?
  • alzore
    Free Member

Evening all,

Stanton Switchbacks…

Looking for some reviews, not much out there. I really like the look of these.
    Searched around and general consensus is that it is a fun bike with a slack HA. It is referred to as an all-rounder but is fun on the downs and jumps. Gets a lot of plaudits. Is it really an all-rounder? How good is it on the flat?

The website says:

“The Switchback is our new benchmark frame. The aim was to design the most playful, confidence-inspiring frame we could possibly make, a frame that’s just as happy racing enduro as it is doing a 40-mile ride in the Peak District.”

I used to have a 26” BFE and loved it. Regretted it when I sold it…

What I’m looking for is a fun all-rounder steel hardtail but want something that I can keep up with my riding partners and challenge their PR’s.

I live 2mins from Swinley but ride all over the place…

How much of a slouch is a Switchback? Should I be more looking at the Sherpa? How good is a Sherpa going downwards?

Many thanks

Paul-B

I love mine. I ride 5 miles on road and tow path to get to Cannock Chase and it’s perfect. It really isn’t hard work to just pootle about on.

Paul-B

I also took it to BPW and yes, it was more tiring than a full suss but still mega fun. My riding buddy was surprised at just how composed it was.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve yet to use mine on a +30mile ride, but from what I have used it for so far, I’m sure it wont cause me any trouble on something like SDW. Its certainly no slouch. I used to have a 26″ soul and other than a little heavier, its pretty similar on my road ride to local woods (7mile each way). I’m having far more fun on the trails though – this is partly down to the 34mm 150mm fork though.
    I cant believe you’d regret buying one.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Superfli / Paul what wheels & tyres you guys using out of interest. What’s the clearance on the rear like?

Seriously tempted by one of these too… Don’t see too many about and slacker than a slack thing.

ashweee
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve had my switchback since August and love it, way more versatile than it should be, I’ve used it at trail centres, on dh tracks and on a big Peak District loop with plenty of climbing and it was great for all of it.

I’m using a hope tech wheelset with a bontrager xr3 out back and an xr4 up front, I’m also using 150mm pike’s and it’s still a great climber.

Hope that helps,
    Ash.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

These are great bikes. I’m using mine for everything at the moment, I built a steel bike up in November and then managed to buy a 2nd Ti frame last month – really happy with it. I’m using it in Wales, long boring fitness rides, Hindhead and surrey hills. It’s far more capable than what it should be really. Definitely more capable than me!

Wheel wise I’m running Mavic XL’s with DHF’s 2.3 front and rear.

Paul-B

Doncorleoni, I’m running DT Swiss wheels (couldn’t tell you specifically as they’re off my Cube Stereo so they’re all branded up) with a WTB Trailboss 2.25 on the back (they seem to be bigger than the width dimension implies) and a Schwalbe MAgic Mary up front.

The Trailboss is great on trail centre type stuff and seems to grip on most surfaces more than you’d think! The clearance is pretty tight out back so I wouldn’t get chancing any of these fashionable wideish rims.

I don’t see that as a problem though, the bike is a ripper and much more capable than you’d think. It’s like nigh and day compared with my other hardtail (an older 26″ wheeled Orange Crush).

I’m running a 160mm X Fusion Sweep up front but not tried it out yet as I only just fitted it. It replaced a Fox 34 TALAS which was way too harsh. I will probably bring the Sweep down to 140mm even though a 160mm fork up front is great fun on the downs lol

superfli
    Free Member

I’m running Easton Arc 27 rims/pro2 hubs with Spesh Butcher grid/Purg grid. Plenty of clearance. Forks is an XFusion Sweep @ 150mm – brilliant fork considering its not got any comp damping (which I’d previously thought was essential on an air fork).

jfb01
    Free Member

Afternoon Alzore.I have owned all three bikes you mentioned.The Switchback is a definite step up from the 26″ BFE. Very confident down hill & lots of fun in the single track.I have ridden it at Swinley & it will not hold you back.The Sherpa rolls a little bit quicker,is also a confident descender& good in the single track, but not as much fun.If you want the best of all worlds get a 2Souls QuarterHorse with 120mm fork.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Very happy with my switchback which varies from canal type pootles and my regular loop in the wyre forest. All of which it does very well. Riding mine with 140mm revelations and arch/hope pro 2 evo combination wheels with the new 27.5 version of storm control tyres for the wyre forest. Clearance is very close so for example I tried a 2.3 high roller and it was too close for comfort.

alzore
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys…

I am pretty sure I would be getting one before posting but just had a niggle in my mind that though a fun ride, I would be left behind…

Any more pictures floating around?

I’m just recovering after a minor op but will probably buy shortly and start building. The X fusion forks look like a good choice.
    There is a few reviews mentioning that people run 26 wheels in the frame which is intriguing but will probably build a DT ex471’s on Hopes.

GolfChick
    Free Member

mirofo
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for about 5 months now and love it. My FS has sat almost unused in the garage since buying it. I’d say I’m faster on steep, tight natural trails as it corners really well – probably down to the short chain stays and low BB. Probably not quite as fast on rough pedally stuff though, but that is probably the case with any HT vs a FS.

The low BB obviously improves balance on corners but the flip side is pedal strikes – especially on rough pedally stuff. If I was building one again I would consider 150 mm forks just to try and raise the BB a tad.

I would thoroughly recommend one – believe the hype!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Love them personally.

I started with a steel one last Jan that I fell in love with. I found that I stopped using my Banshee and just rode the Switchback all of the time. I didn’t find it a slouch, even on longer rides. I didn’t get destroyed my all my mates on full sus bikes either.

Here’s a pic of the steel one in Brecon.

On the basis that I liked it so much, I sold the Banshee and the steel Switchback and bought the Ti version.

The Ti one is nicer to ride, but whether it is three times as nice is doubtful if you look at it in a pure cost point of view.

I as running 2.2 Trail Kings but am now running a 2.35 Minion DHR II on DT M1700’s. Clearance is fine, but not amazing.

superfli
    Free Member

Heres mine:

squealer
    Free Member

Here’s mine. If I’m honest I find it a bit harsh with the mavic wheels

Rosss
    Free Member

Why did they stop making the raw frame? I can’t bring myself to buy a Switchback that isn’t raw or in their blue!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How much of a slouch is a Switchback?’ is closed to new replies.