• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How much of a ball ache is it to change road shifters?
  • jkomo

My old campy mirage shifters are very stiff and annoying. I’ve recabled and it’s no better.
    The mech moves freely, so I thought I’d maybe change the shifters, but the cables run so neatly under the tape, I think I’ll haveto re do the tape as well.
    I’m also going to need a rear mech as all the cable tensioning screw bits have seized on the frame and mech.
    Or is it new bike time? This one has served me well, but I think I deserve a treat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never seen shifters create this problem, I suspect suspect cable outer wear/routing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I suspect the outer under your bar tape needs replacing.

mrmo
    Free Member

how old are the shifters, nothing lasts for ever, or they might need a service, or they might need new cables outers.

Basically you will have to take the tape off to find out.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d go for the new bike option, there could be all sorts wrong with the current one once you start looking. A dangerous can of worms to open IMHO

jkomo

I like a challenge, in theory, but it usually takes three times longer than expected, and causes the use of a bad word.
    The old inners had a plastic coating so I think swapping for regular ones (jag wire) has made it worse. The bar tape as is is pretty smart and I don’t think I could do it as well. Is it easy?
    I have a nice outer to use.
    I suppose if I strip the tape, then recable, I’ll know if it’s okay before I put the tape on.
    If it’s still bad, I could get some shifters at that point.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tape has to come off for any remedy other than skipping it and buying a new bike

jkomo

The other thing is that the release shift is quick and snappy, I would expect it to be draggy both ways if it was the outer.

globalti
    Free Member

If you do change the cable, use Shimano inners; they are of a much better quality than standard LBS cable from the big box in the workshop.

jkomo

Just looked at some vids on changing bar tape. Looks easy enough.
    The shifters are campy.

mrmo
    Free Member

If you do change the cable, use Shimano inners; they are of a much better quality than standard LBS cable from the big box in the workshop.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

Shimano cables ARE NOT compatible with Campagnolo.

Campagnolo cable nipples are a tad smaller than Shimano, you can, and i have used a knife to whittle down the aluminium to make them fit. Just have to be aware that the nipple can jam in shifter if you do use Shimano.

Thinking about it, what are the new inners? have they seated properly????

jkomo

Yeah, I checked, they are jagwire

wallop

Taping is easy – just watch a couple of videos on youtube before you do it and make sure you wrap the right way round.

molgrips
    Free Member

Once you get the hang of taping it’s not so bad. You can re-use tape a few times before you need to replace it. Mostly I’ve replaced it when moving the shifters around, so a stretched bit is now on a straight bit.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The jag wire ones may not be campy compatable
    Transfil do some but its worth finding the proper campy ones

Unless you WANT a new bike take off the tape and change the outer cable to
    If all the barrel adjusters are stuck you can always fit some inline ones

stimpy
    Free Member

I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe on my 2007(ish) Mirage shifters (on original cables, inner and outer). I’ve just completely recabled my Mirage shifters – nice new Campy inners and outers. Shifts nice and smooth now.

Might be worth checking whether you’re using Ergopower (8/9spd) or Ultrashift (10/11spd) cables – I think the ultrashift cables are slightly smaller diameter?

If you’ve only recabled the inners, I’d start with replacing the outers before you go mucking around with shifters or mechs.

And some GT85 or similar wouldn’t go amiss on any stuck screws in the rear mech. Had a similar situation with my 2007 Veloce rear mech(seized screws from manky year-round commuting, now moving freely again).

orangeboy
    Free Member

A lot of 10 speed campy was branded as ergo , pre qs at least but that should make no differnace to the cables

aracer
    Free Member

Need new cables? Yep, definitely new bike time.

jkomo

I bow to the superior knowledge.
    Changed the outer, took no time at all, very easy, stuck the old tape back on (for now).
    Shifter now works perfectly. Effortless shifting is back.
    I’ll do the front mech, and buy new inners, and nice tape.
    The only thing left is to free up the cable tensioners.
    Cheers guys.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How much of a ball ache is it to change road shifters?’ is closed to new replies.