Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much Nitromors to strip a whole frame??
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

I need some Nitromors to strip an old frame, but not sure just how much I should order… will 500 ml be enough?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, plenty, nasty, long, tough, fustrating job though, can’t whoever’s painting it strip it?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Complete ball ache. Might be worth phoning around a few metal finishers/powdercoaters to see if they have access to an acid bath.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What them two sed. Nitromors is nasty horrible stuff and it’s a right pita, speshly if it’s powdercoat and don’t want to come off….

Never again. 😥

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Oh… fair enough, I’ll ring the shotblasters at lunch to see if they can strip it for me 😛

I just thought I’d be fun, but evidently it’s not 🙂

and Thanks btw…

hora
    Free Member

Easy-peasy. Just don’t do it in the middle of winter. Takes ages then if doing it/leaving it in the back garden.

higthepig
    Free Member

I just thought I’d be fun

Fun for the first couple of minutes watching the paint bubble, after that the novelty soon wears off, especially trying to do the fiddly bits. As others have said, get someone else to do it if you value your time/sanity.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

if they’re blasting it, be careful. If it a thin walled frame they could blast right through it.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

The frame in question is an 05 Rockhopper… strong enough to have it shot-blasted?

uplink
    Free Member

Bead blasting would probably be better

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or even softer (wallnut shells rings a bell for some reason), but definately not ‘shot’ which tents to be chilled iron fillings IIRC. Avoid Pyrolysis as well, wayyyyy too hot.

Most places have some kind of acid or solvent bath/vapour deposition equipment that will soften the paint like nitromors so they can strip it with a really soft blasting medium.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

The company I’m using does powder coating aswell, I just heard shotblasting was more hard wearing.

uplink
    Free Member

I just heard shotblasting was more hard wearing

in what way?

This looks cool

http://www.soda-blast.co.uk/sbsuk_002.htm

petrieboy

I’m in the middle of stripping my old Columbus SLX road frame. Now admittedly it’s fully chromed under the paint so that might make a difference but following the instructions it’s coming off very easy and using hardly any nitromors. 1 tube at a time, sponge on a thin layer and leave it 15 minutes. Then apply a thicker layer, leave for another 15 and the paint comes off really easily in big strips. Worth a try anyway.

jamiep
    Free Member

when leaving it to do it’s stuff, wrap in cling film

crazy-legs

when leaving it to do it’s stuff, wrap in cling film

Why?? 😯
    Nitromors is a mix of DCM (dichloromethane) and methanol (plus various other agents to give it some body and allow it to be painted without it dripping everywhere). It’ll chew right through cling film in seconds and just make a right gluey mess of it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much Nitromors to strip a whole frame??’ is closed to new replies.