Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How much more is a through axle worth over QR?
  • bol

I’ve bought a 2011 reba rlt 29er qr fork, and have been offered a swap for the same model, but 2012 with 15mm maxle for another £160. What are people’s views of the cost vs benefit?

Either way, the cost looks pretty competitive with the market. They’re 100mm so not massively long even at 29er size.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Massive difference, especially on a 29er I would imagine.

bol

It’s a bit of a budget build though and the forks are already the most expensive component by some margin. Will it make THAT much difference?

milkyman
    Free Member

I can honestly not tell the diff, between a bolt through or a q/r

if it was me i would save my money, think its bit of the latest must have thing IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on your riding, I still have QR menjas on the 456 and TBH they feel different rather than better/worse than the 150mm sektors on the pitch. Ditto the 20mm Z1’s I keep as spare, they’re insanely stiff, but the actual improvement in riding is minimal even on the holidays they’re kept for.

The old MX’s on my SS on the other hand are noodley and would be improved by a bit of stiffness.

RealMan
    Free Member

I love through axles, I think they’re great, and that they do make quite a big difference. However, QR worked for me for years, and like you say, it’s a budget build.

However, if you ever come to selling them, you’d possible get more from the through axle ones.

Also, is your wheel compatible with both? That could be the deciding factor.

bol

Yeh, the wheels can take adapters. I have convinced myself that I could tell the difference on other forks (rev 20mm vs reba qr, f120 qr15 vs qr), but I’m not sure if that is just post rationalising purchases and the need for the next best thing. I guess I could get more for the maxles if I sold, but the QRs were cheaper than I’ve seen online, so I’d get most of my money back on them anyway. Grrr.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

However, if you ever come to selling them, you’d possible get more from the through axle ones.

True, but not £160 more.

Bit like people who buy VAG’s and justify it with the lower depreciation argument.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Another here in the I can’t tell the difference. My latest bike is bolt thru and I really can’t feel how it is better, perhaps I just need to read the marketing hype to work it out…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How much more is a through axle worth over QR?’ is closed to new replies.