Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • How much money would it take for you to give up riding bikes of any form?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve just got back into riding mountain bikes after 15 years and love it to bits. Normally with the how much money to do x game i’m normally pretty cheap 😆

riding bikes on the other hand, I’m not so sure.

How much would it take for you to give up all forms of cycling?

Easily over a million for me…….

jedi

no money could buy cycling from me. i’ll stop if i ever stop smiling when i do it

z1ppy

wouldn’t happen… give me X amount of money, hmmm I can afford that shiney bike.. have to give X amount of money back…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

if i had won the 161 million on the lottery the other night, i would have gladly swapped it to be well enough to ride again.

allthegear
    Free Member

That’s a really amazing quote, Ton – hope you get there without the 161M, anyway!!!

Rachel

Tiger6791

couple of quid, in fact I’d do it for air miles

donsimon
    Free Member

i would have gladly swapped it to be well enough to ride again.

+1, money is not the be all and end all.

mboy
    Free Member

Wrong question for this forum to be fair.

Money can’t buy you happiness. It can buy you lots of shiny things, and ease your way through life, but it does not buy you happiness.

Stick me on a bike however, and I am a happy man!

So no amount of money would stop me from riding bikes I’m afraid…

jedi

if you’d give up riding for money you never really would have done it for long anyway 🙂

riding= soulfood

Jamie
    Free Member

if you’d give up riding for money you never really would have done it for long anyway

I dunno. I would quit cycling for a shit load of cash as I know there are things I enjoy just as much, and with all the extra money I could do them in sunnier places 😉

Northwind

There’d be an amount where I’d do it. I love bikes, and it’d leave a massive hole but holes can be filled. Guess I’d move to hawaii for the surf, or follow the snow season around, and get back into motorbikes, and see what other things my newfound riches can do. I love bikes but I love other things too, once I would have said that no amount of money would get me to quit motorbikes but it turned out all it took was a £200 mountain bike to fill that gap.

But it would be a very big number.

kudos100
    Free Member

I dunno. I would quit cycling for a shit load of cash as I know there are things I enjoy just as much, and with all the extra money I could do them in sunnier places

this is part of my thought process. if i had 10 million i could kite surf and snowboard all year. still not sure if i could give up riding though……

kudos100
    Free Member

hope you get well enough to ride soon ton.

5thElefant
    Free Member

None. I’d love to stop. But I’d need a replacement form of aerobic exercise / sadomasochistic excuse for social gatherings.

Bunnyhop

Happiness can’t be bought and mtbing makes me happy.

Ton – that’s thought provoking and when I’m ill it’s how I feel.

Euro
    Free Member

Does biking include bikes with engines?

There’s plenty of hobbies/interests i’ve let slip over the years that all brought joy/friendship/radness. Not to mention the many things i’d like to get into but money/location prevented. It wouldn’t be easy but for a few mill i’d give it a go.

Where do i sign?

Euro
    Free Member

jedi – Member

riding= soulfood

You need to get yourself a beard. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I love bikes, and it’d leave a massive hole but holes can be filled.

Holes can be filled, but I don’t know that there’s anything out there that brings as much of a smile to my face as riding my bike. So am I richer for millions of £’s and a playboy lifestyle, or for spending time on my bike which I know makes me happy? Not trying to be all hi-brow and philosophical here, really I just don’t think the money on it’s own would make me happy.

this is part of my thought process. if i had 10 million i could kite surf and snowboard all year. still not sure if i could give up riding though……

Me and my old man were having a conversation the other night about how to spend/invest a lottery win. Forget the 161 million from the other night, we were just thinking what to do with £5m or so… My plan looked like this…

Get all my mates together, take em all on (probably bike riding) holiday for a couple of weeks.
    Get back, buy a nice house for me to live in with a decent garage for bikes and other play things.
    Buy 3/4 more houses to rent out, so if all went tits up, I’d at least have a steady £30k or so income from rental properties.
    Invest heavily in improving local cycling facilities
    Setup my own shop/workshop, so me and all my mates and any young talent in the area I want to sponsor, can benefit from top gear at good prices, and a fully equipped workshop.
    Ride lots!

Ok in there as well would be buy a nice car, motorbike, and a van (for bike transporting) no doubt, but other than that, really the best way I could enjoy the money would be to keep me busy doing things I enjoy, and enjoying them with other people, so investing in local cycling and running a shop not for profit, would ultimately keep me busy and happy I figure… No point in having all that money and being scared to spend it, or not being able to enjoy it cos you’re on your own!

jedi

beards are for annorak wearers and dodgy blokes you shouldnt talk too 🙂

Northwind

mboy – Member

Holes can be filled, but I don’t know that there’s anything out there that brings as much of a smile to my face as riding my bike.

Did you know what biking would do for you before you started doing it? What are the odds it’s the only thing in the world that would do that for you?

Jamie
    Free Member

beards are for annorak wearers and dodgy blokes you shouldnt talk too

You make Ed Oxley cry 😉

Euro
    Free Member

I’d like a ramp and a foam pit filled with breast implants at your bike shop mboy.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d like a ramp and a foam pit filled with breast implants at your bike shop mboy.

Then you could do this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGn82lsvGec[/video]

mboy
    Free Member

Did you know what biking would do for you before you started doing it? What are the odds it’s the only thing in the world that would do that for you?

Good question, but oddly (for this place anyway) I started riding offroad in my early teens, some 16 years ago. And oddly enough when I first started, it wasn’t a massive thing for me, mainly used my bike as transport more than for recreation. It’s been since uni I’ve got more and more into riding, and the love has grown and grown.

Like you I’ve also been through the motorbikes phase, and though I still love them now, even with all the money in the world you can’t enjoy riding motorbikes in such a free and un-policed way as you can mountain bikes. You could lose your license on a bike costing a few hundred quid in no time, it doesn’t take big bucks to get that kind of performance, and this is part of why its lost it’s appeal to me. And then if I had enough money to do trackday after trackday, well. It would be fun, but I’d be on my own. Rather ride my mountain bike with my mates, much more social and I get 95% of the buzz from it too at least.

I also used to do a lot of DJing, and was massively into music. Now there’s a solitary hobby if ever there was one! For all your passion and efforts, unless you’re right at the top of the tree, nobody else ever really appreciates it, and it’s that that kind’ve killed it for me.

And there have been other hobbies too, many in fact. But none give me the combination of primeval speed junky thrills, the social mix, and the endorphins from exercise that mountain biking does. I’ve met more friends through cycling than anything else, by some margin, and almost everytime I go on a group ride I meet new people and get chatting.

Maybe there are other things out there that might give me a similar balance, but I doubt it somewhat. Especially now as I’m in my 30’s, as seems to be the way, a load of mates that gave it up for drink/drugs/women in their teens are all starting to get back into it now too! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

if i had won the 161 million on the lottery the other night, i would have gladly swapped it to be well enough to ride again.

And that’s it really, isn’t it? No more to be said.

mboy
    Free Member

Lend me £5m and I’ll make it happen! 😉

iDave
    Free Member

I’d quit cycling for £100k, then ride my bike despite the terms and conditions.

kudos100
    Free Member

gave it up for drink/drugs/women in their teens are all starting to get back into it now too!

yep that would be me. that i have rediscovered my passion is why i would find it so hard to give up…….

Euro
    Free Member

I gave up motorbikes for free (pressure from family and financial reasons) but rediscovered pedal power. I thought it’d be impossible to replace the adrenalin rush of racing on the road, and it did take a good while to get it completely out of my system. But i’m clean now. Ironically i’ve done more damage to myself in the last 5 years cycling that I managed to do in 12 years on various motorbikes.

There’s always something else out there that’ll float yer boat.

GW
    Free Member

**** stupid question! especially from someone who’s only just dipped back into riding after 15 years.

RealMan
    Free Member

The cold logical part of me does have a price. But the rest of me would regret it.

Does unicycling count?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s possible that I might discover some other equally absorbing distraction in the future. It’s not about money.

Sam

if you’d give up riding for money you never really would have done it for long anyway

I dunno. I would quit cycling for a shit load of cash as I know there are things I enjoy just as much, and with all the extra money I could do them in sunnier places [/quote]

Agreed – we’d be talking tens of millions though…

kudos100
    Free Member

The cold logical part of me does have a price. But the rest of me would regret it.

Does unicycling count

yes unicycling counts 😈

kudos100
    Free Member

**** stupid question! especially from someone who’s only just dipped back into riding after 15 years.

let it out gw, let it out.

RealMan
    Free Member

How about a three wheel recumbent? You’d have to pay me double though, half to quit cycling, and half to ride a recumbent.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

$2.57

beanieripper
    Free Member

none… my lifes not for sale…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘How much money would it take for you to give up riding bikes of any form?’ is closed to new replies.