Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much loss of performance from forks losing their coating?
  • booktownman
    Free Member

I’ve spotted a nasty patch of low-friction coating loss on my RS Revs, probably due to not servicing frequently enough.

They still feel fine and there’s no scratches or gouges – how much can I expect this to affect function & performance of the forks over the next year or two? They’re only 18mths old at the moment, don’t really want to be buying £400 forks every year and a half.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve found no difference on my old Rebas that I use in winter and they lost thier coating about 4 years ago

cookeaa

They lose precisely 18.764% No more, no less…

njee20
    Free Member

The answer is 4.

booktownman
    Free Member

Thanks dvatcmark.

Wow, the pedants are pleased with themselves today.

Kahurangi

Hard anodising, nitriding, etc are generally hardening processes with some corrosion resistance and occasionally low-friction properties to boot. If you’ve worn though the coating, you’ll generally be through the the softer material underneath and the rate of wear will increase, you’ll get knocking and increased friction.

Northwind

It’s not pushbike stuff but kayaba mad a load of GSXR forks on which all the gold coating fell off. On launch, it was “super slippy ti-ni coating”, when it fell off it was “cosmetic only” 😉

booktownman
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll ride ’em till they die.

ryderredman
    Free Member

It depends what speeds I’m doing. If I’m going around 30 miles per hour their fine. If I then accelerate up to 30 miles per wolf hour I can notice the lack of performance yesterday.

LoCo
    Free Member

they’ll end up knocking and leaking, if they’ve worn dirt has got in and contaminated the oil which will make them feel rubbish as well as wearing internal components seals/shafts etc too

rickon
    Free Member

don’t really want to be buying £400 forks every year and a half

Should start servicing them then 😉

Unfortunately, they’re going to end up feeling like crap for the reasons LoCo has suggested above. The more you use them with worn stanchions, the more dirt and grit will get into them and ruin the internals.

Your best bet is to get them serviced, and get some new uppers to stop any more damage.

Or just send them into Loco ^^, and he can at least assess the damage and advise.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much loss of performance from forks losing their coating?’ is closed to new replies.