Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much leccy could I make?
  • dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I was just watching george clarkes amazin spaces for some reason.. He was on a shonky looking turbo setup that was set up to a bunch of light bulbs. It just got me wondering how much electricity could your average cyclist make in their gaff on a turbo?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Couple of hundred watts? Not much.

properbikeco
    Free Member

you’d be lucky to make more than 20 pence worth per session – and it’d be a session at least two hours to get near that!

Tim
    Free Member

If you did an hr you might get 300Wh

Elec is probably around £0.15/kWh

+ £0.03/kWh export

+ FiT Tariff (as its renewable – lets guess at £0.3/kWh)

So 0.3kWh x (£0.15 + £0.03 + £0.30)

=14.4p / hr

Gonna take a while to make your millions, especially if you eat anything in that hr 🙂

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Enough to run the Christmas lights then?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It baffles me why gyms don’t power something with all the watts they could generate.

Ok, something fun of course, powering the heater for the showers probably wouldn’t be great, especially at quiet times…

A light on their sign maybe? The motor that makes the cake stand in the coffee lounge rotate?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

It does make you wonder doesn’t it. What with the current keep fit trend and ridiculous energy bills.

willard

My old gym put a stack load of solar panels on their roof to offset the machines. Good idea really given the size of the roof.

nickjb
    Free Member

It baffles me why gyms don’t power something with all the watts they could generate… A light on their sign maybe?

I costed up a job to do just this for a local gym. They wanted the illuminated sign on the roof to be like a giant power meter. Never heard back from them, though.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It does make you wonder doesn’t it. What with the current keep fit trend and ridiculous energy bills.

average power output on a gym machine, I dunno, 100W, 200W maybe, 300W from a tdf rider on his day off?

might be able to switch a couple of light bulbs on or power the telly for a bit, I guess

molgrips
    Free Member

It baffles me why gyms don’t power something with all the watts they could generate.

Some do – there was one in the news that was entirely powered by the machines. And some machines are powered by the person using them, they go off if you rest for more than about 30s.

200W is more feasible for a typical cyclist for an extended period, several hours – maybe enough to watch TV and a light to see by.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Im pretty sure that Sainsbury’s in Gloucester have a roller type system at the carpark entrance that uses the force of cars driving in and out to spin the rollers round to produce some electricity boost, seems like a good, simple idea.

EDIT – Kinetic plates and it rocks rather than spins
    http://www.igd.com/our-expertise/Sustainability/Energy/4038/Sainsburys—launches-the-worlds-first-people-powered-checkouts/

bencooper
    Free Member

An average cyclist produces 150-200W – with inefficiencies, you’d be lucky to get 100W out.

A few years ago I helped the BBC with a pedal-powered outside broadcast thing. The radio reporter was puffing away on the static trainer while he interviewed me about the new wind turbine the Glasgow Science Centre had just installed.

Unfortunately, they gave me the figures before the broadcast:

“So how much more power is that turbine producing than I am?”
    “Quite a lot – about a hundred times as much”
    “Wow, that’s a lot – so what fraction of the Science Centre’s electricity is it producing?”
    “Not much – about a thousandth”

😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much leccy could I make?’ is closed to new replies.