Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How much is your water bill?
  • LenHankie

£47 per month on water (not the bottled stuff) seems a bit steep for a couple and toddler in a 2 bed flat…is it?

paddy0091
    Free Member

4 of us last year paid £40 DD/month for about 7months, when we left we got refunded about £130.

That’s each of us showering everyday/washing machine on a couple of times a week.

So yeah, sounds too much.

4ndyB
    Free Member

£14 a month for just me in my 2 bed house (been on a meter for 14 years, bills never over £15 a month in that time)

nick1962
    Free Member

Is your water metered?If not metered then the amount you pay is based on the rateable value of your property (RVs were abolished in the 90s) so if it’s a newer property then it will be higher.My old Edwardian terraced house was £120 a year but when I moved to a newer house it went up to £330!

andyl
    Free Member

you can normally go on a meter and if you don’t save over the 1st 12 months have it removed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Included in the council tax for me up in Scotland.

Band E, Glasgow.

breakdown is:

Council Tax £1,482.56
    Water Charge £222.64
    Waste Water(Sewerage)charge £258.39

wrightyson
    Free Member

Once a meters fitted you can’t have it removed! Pay 230 ish every six months here. 3 bed, 2 kids, bath loving wife!

spooky_b329

The meter removal thing is, I think, subject to area. Probably harder to remove than they used to be, down in the south-east they are talking mandatory water meters soon (if I heard it right)

munkster
    Free Member

£323 pa. 3 bed 2 adults, water meter. Would be nearly £500 without the meter.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

£198 p.a. here. No meter as on a shared main, 1896 build and on rateable value so unlikely to go through the roof cost wise 8)

br
    Free Member

2 adults and a teenager in the SE on a meter, we never consider water usage particually as ours has been £12-13 pcm for years now.
    So yes, yours looks ‘dear’.

Drac

I have no idea.

ebygomm
    Free Member

About 12 quid a month – 2 adults, metered supply

wrightyson
    Free Member

What pisses me off is I live in one of four identical houses, the silly bint who lived here before had it fitted, the other three houses pay approx 200 less a month!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

About 12 quid a month – 2 adults, metered supply

frogstomp

Nada.. fresh water spring and septic tank 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

We’ve just had a 3 month bill on the meter for 88 quid and i’m always flushing the bog, so yours does sound a bit steep.

theotherjonv

£29 a month. Just had the bill yesterday and this is my new rate based on LY usage. £47 sounds too much to me

crispo
    Free Member

Were just on a flat rate: 2 adults in a 2 1/2 bed terraced house is £26/month

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m un-metered, and pay about £23 per month water rates. £278 per year.

2 bed terrace, 2 adults & 2 under-5’s.

Certainly not switching to a meter unless it becomes mandatory.

In the meantime, and to get my money’s worth, I’m going to continue having three deep baths and seven unnecessarily prolonged showers every day, leave the tap running whilst I brush my teeth (very thoroughly so it’ll take some time) and not bother repairing all those dripping taps.

Wy wife will be doing the same.

yoshimi

£45 a month on a meter for 2 of us living in a new house with energy efficient evevrything and we’re both at work all day.

I’ve checked for leaks, can only be the power shower 😯

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’ve checked for leaks, can only be the power shower

Unless you’re a quick shower-er (2-3 mins) power showers use as much, sometimes more, water than a bath … I read somewhere recently … and if two adults are having a couple of showers a day, that adds up to a lot of water

allthepies
    Free Member

£100 / year.

Water meter, single occupant, South East.

konagirl
    Free Member

lol at the power shower! Can you not work out what the flow rate is and then how much it must be using? To the OP, I have to presume you are on a meter. Might be worth investing in some water saving items if you think you can cut down on general use, e.g. water-reducing shower head if its not an electric or power shower, newer washing machine with less water usage etc. Obviously depends if your having two baths a day (one for you, one for the toddler), running the washing machine twice a day (toddler), use an outside hose for garden/bikes/washing car etc. whether or not you can make the kind of savings suggested above.

If you are the owner of a house, you can elect to have a water meter fitted and depending on the area, you can usually chose to have it removed within 1-2 years (we can in Anglia). The problem comes if you already have a meter or in some areas, when a house is sold a water meter will automatically be fitted, and in these cases you cannot subsequently have it removed.

Genuinely, making us pay a fair value for the water and sewerage we use is not a bad thing (particularly in the south-east) – it should be making you think about the value of the service provided to you and the rates system is just not fair.

Stoner
    Free Member

£12.50 pm DD.
    Metered, for 2 adult and 2 young’uns.
    Low water volume dishwasher and washing machine, dual flush, low capacity WC cisterns, showers and shallow baths.

I plumbed the barn for rainwater supply to two WCs and the DW/WM, but in the end didnt install the water management box and tank as the cost of £2,500 to save about £50 a year didnt make any sense.
    All veg bed watering etc is done from about 400Litres of rain water butts.

jam-bo

£60/month. not metered.

one of the perks of living in the south west.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

£22 a month IIRC.

jonba
    Free Member

£20 a month metered for the two of us in Newcastle. It was £40 unmetered before that. Everyone told us we were mad to go for a meter because it would be far more expensive…

I was paying about £12 a month down in Somerset, metered on my own.

jon1973
    Free Member

the other three houses pay approx 200 less a month!!

200 less a MONTH? 😯 does tha mean your bill is at least £2400 pa?

steveindevon
    Free Member

Were paying £55/month – 3 bedroom house, 2 adults and 3 young children.

Now £0, as we have just moved, renting a house on a country estate. Spring water and septic tank.

Rio

£300 pa for us. OFWAT shows an average annual bill of £339 for 2010 so the OP’s £47 pcm seems a bit excessive.

andyl
    Free Member

1 bed flat in Bristol – £280-300ish a year. I would like to try a meter.

Call your water company and ask about meters to see if they can be trialled and if you can (obviously depends on your house) see if you can use water butts etc to flush the toilets.

verses

We (2 adults, 1 5yo, in a 3 bed end terrace) switched to a meter about 3 years ago. Water rate was about 450-500 a year. Metered seems to be about 380-400 a year.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

£19 a month unmetered – 3 bed terrace with 2 adults and 2 children.

Should be more but I tried to tell the water company the property was now occupied and they told me it was derelict and would be on minimum charge only.

Now I know I keep a messy house, but derelict?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can’t remember, but less than £100 a year, for 3 bed based on old rateable value.
    Plus maybe a £100 or so to get the cesspit emptied.

bigbloke
    Free Member

About £58 per month 2 adults 3 kids. Eastern England. Unmetered.

stumpy01

Hmmmmm. Think we need to get ours looked at! We are un-metered and are paying £80/month for a 4 bed detached house, but it’s just the two of us in it…..!!!!!

They came round a while back saying that we could switch to a meter and had up to two years to switch back if it wasn’t cheaper.
    I think we need to take them up on this offer!!

ART

£26/mnth metered – 2 adults, South West (it has been as low as £12/mth but costs have gone up in the last few years). Our rateable value is more than double £26/mnth so we make a considerable saving being metered. The trajectory for most water companies will be towards compulsory metering anyhow, but most people (insert appropriate exceptions!) will save money being metered. IIRC, the rule of thumb used to be if you had more bedrooms than people in the house you’d definitely save money being metered. Water butts, showers not baths, low flush etc etc all keep costs down.

neil853
    Free Member

Its quite a mad topic this. in the two places I lived in recently the first one, a two bed flat was £35 a month which I thought was ridiculous, I then moved to a two bed terraced house with a HUGE bath and it was only £16 a month, don’t get it. I realise they work on average meter readings for flats but surely that can’t be right? In a shared house now so no idea.

spooky_b329

The power shower thing doesn’t wash ( 😆 ) with me…I can stand under the shower for ages after standing on the annoying popup bath plug and there will only be six inches of water in the bath. (Its not a power shower but it has a good pressure, fed from a hot water cylinder above so not one of those dribbly electric things)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How much is your water bill?’ is closed to new replies.