Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How much is too much – elec. question
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I live in SE Asia where electricity standards aren’t what they might be in the UK.

Our fusebox on the ground floor all looks very neatly done with labelled trips. When water spilled over a socket, the appropriate trip turned itself off. That’s the extent of my understanding of what makes a safe house.

On the third floor I have 2 x 2 sockets. One of the pair has a fan, a desk lamp, a printer, a switch and a router. The other has a powerful PC (2 graphics cards, 7 hard drives, highish end processor), 4 monitors and 5.1 speakers.

There is also an aircon unit.

When I turn the fan or aircon unit on, the monitors turn off and on again.

Will I die?

Am I being stupid?

Can it be mitigated?

Can I check if I’m being stupid or within tolerances?

I have a multimeter but that’s because a friend left it at mine accidentally before leaving the country. I’m more of a 9v-on-the-tongue type person.

Thanks as always STW.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Will I die? – Yes. Eventually.

Am I being stupid? – Living in SE Asia – yes.

Can it be mitigated? – Death or Asia?

Can I check if I’m being stupid or within tolerances? Yes.

When I turn the fan or aircon unit on, the monitors turn off and on again.

Sounds like the power surge when switch the a/c or fan on is causing a drop to the supply to the monitors, then on the initial surge is over, the required power returns.

Work out the total power consumption of all the different items and then compare that to the rating on the RCD/trip.

You could die if the trip is rated too high for the actual size of the wiring installed and then it becomes overloaded and can over heat and start a fire.

My guess is that he installation would be way below UK regs but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is dangerous.

If your concerned a lower rated “trip” is safer than having on that is too high.

Get a decent leccy out and get him to have a look.

IANAE.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Get a decent leccy out and get him to have a look.

An therein lies the rub.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s the start up load. Easy answer is don’t turn the fan or aircon off.

Cougar

Yeah. Getting a motor turning is a lot more effort than keeping it moving. Ever pushed a car?

johnners
    Free Member

It’s the start up load. Easy answer is don’t turn the fan or aircon off.

It certainly sounds that way but I’m surprised just turning the fan on causes a problem. It must all be pretty marginal if it does.

seadog101

Reminds me of this tale.

A friend was living in Columbia, his girlfrieand was from there. They were having a house built. The electrians were doing their thing,
    “What colours do you use for the live, neutral and earth here in Columbia?”
    “What colours do you want?”
    😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How much is too much – elec. question’ is closed to new replies.