Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How much is my son worth??
  • binners

I’ve been in just this position

In my experience, an employer will offer a substantial pay increase to retain your skill set, to what they should have been paying you in the first place, or more.

… shortly after you’ve handed your notice in. at any point before that, they’re not interested, and will pay you the minimum they can get away with

Leku
    Free Member

Could he start a part time course? He sounds bright so maybe it’s time to get some qualifications?

It would also sound good in any interview with another employer. Local colleges usually do BTEC type courses..

wingnuts

Any conversation should be phased as “I want to progress – what training can I do?” Not how much will I get. Look like a contributor not a taker.

But being prepared is a key to making it a worthwhile conversation for basing any future decisions on. Do the CV. That will help get a real handle on your son’s skills, for agencies to suggest alternatives, for the current employer to realise what they might lose, to identify possible training opportunities. It will also help your son start or reinforce the right terminology for any conversation.

The suggestion to look at the company structure and pay scales is a good one. It will help decide if the prospects are reasonable, if the gap is reasonable/achievable, if qualifications are really a barrier.

Doing any qualification/training is never a waste. It gives you time to learn something and get a piece of paper that will open doors at the very least or it gives you time to reflect on things (crap or otherwise)

Northwind

wingnuts – Member

Any conversation should be phased as “I want to progress – what training can I do?” Not how much will I get. Look like a contributor not a taker.

I’d like to agree, but he’s already progressed and received barely any reward, the precedent’s not good.

atlaz
    Free Member

I pay people who work hard a good wage (the flip side is that shirkers never get a sniff of an increase obviously) but I also won’t be held to ransom. I understand why people want more (who doesn’t want more?) but there’s what I’d consider the “right” salary for a job and I tend not to push beyond that unless someone is really exceptional then I’d go for more.

If you do any work to rule or “pay me more or I’m off” be prepared to need to look for a job sharpish. I’ve worked in places, though, where if you do either of those, your days are numbered and it’s best to get looking for a new job. It’s mostly why, if I resign, I go, despite any offers of an increase.

For the OP though, your son may have to accept that he has topped out in his position and either needs to ask the management about future prospects and ways to develop in the company or just find a new job.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

FWIW, I was paid 12k a year working on a IT helpdesk when I embarked on my prestigous career in IT. I had very little knowledge but was given training etc and within two years was earning twice that.

So maybe think outside of the ‘working in a warehouse’ box and get him to look at entry level stuff in IT etc (its not too bad a career!). It might not necessarily pay much more to start with though generally a promotion/more responsibility would equate to more than a £500 pay rise!

binners

So maybe think outside of the ‘working in a warehouse’ box and get him to look at entry level stuff in IT etc (its not too bad a career!).

Does he know how to tell people to turn it off, then turn it back on again? 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How much is my son worth??’ is closed to new replies.